Here’s the Chip Apple Is Using to Stop You from Buying Cheap Cables

vbimport

If you bought yourself an iPhone 5, and are looking for a cheap, third-party lightning adapter to save a couple of bucks, you might want to hold off. There’s an authenticator chip in the official adapters, and third-party adapters probably won’t work without it.
Link: http://gizmodo.com/5945889/some-third+party-adapters-might-not-work-with-your-new-iphone

:cool::cool:

Give it six weeks and there will be chinese cables on ebay WITH this “chip”

meh. someone has probably already jail broke the phone and you no longer need the chip…

30 dollars for a cable is a rip off they just do not have enough money so they think they can rip people of.

[QUOTE=samlar;2657740]30 dollars for a cable is a rip off they just do not have enough money so they think they can rip people of.[/QUOTE]

What apple sells isn’t a state of the art computer, because apple hardware is in no way “Special”, generally they are six to twelve months behind everyone else.

Some things about Mac computers are specifically made different purely for the sake of being different.

Compare their unique family of Display port connectors to DVI and HDMI.
I’ve got the end I cut off a Mac Display cable that looks to the quick glance like a DVI connector, but the outer shell is oval instead of being a trapeziod.

Apples “Mac” OS isn’t special either, it is propriatary and insular, they actually get people to PAY for what we in the PC world call "Service Packs"
and get them to BRAG about paying for those patches and corrections and BRAG about “upgrading” to “Snow Leopard” or “Mountain Lion”

They get people to be happy about WAITING for Mac editions of games and productivity software. Mac owners get to wait either because softwareddevelopers don’t care about catering to those 18% is far less financially important than catering to the OTHER 80% OR because Apple must approve any claim that software is compatible with Mac.

What apple sells is elitism to willing and enthusiastic victims, and
make them believe being in an isolated (Exploited) minority is a good thing.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2658607]What apple sells isn’t a state of the art computer, because apple hardware is in no way “Special”, generally they are six to twelve months behind everyone else.

Some things about Mac computers are specifically made different purely for the sake of being different.

I’ve got the end I cut off a Mac Display cable that looks to the quick glance like a DVI connector, but the outer shell is oval instead of being a trapeziod.

Apples “Mac” OS isn’t special either, it is propriatary and insular, they actually get people to PAY for what we in the PC world call "Service Packs"
and get them to BRAG about paying for those patches and corrections and BRAG about “upgrading” to “Snow Leopard” or “Mountain Lion”

They get people to be happy about WAITING for Mac editions of games and productivity software. Mac owners get to wait either because softwareddevelopers don’t care about catering to those 18% is far less financially important than catering to the OTHER 80% OR because Apple must approve any claim that software is compatible with Mac.

make them believe being in an isolated (Exploited) minority is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Hear, hear :wink: But now tell that you’re average hipster!

[QUOTE=RexHunt;2658608]Hear, hear :wink: But now tell that you’re average hipster![/QUOTE]

Like it or not I’ve become an IT professional.

Who’d a thunk it since I’ve been playing with computers since I learned basic on a
Digital PDP8M in 1976 with a whopping 8K of memory.

That memory occupied two circuit boards the size of LP covers
Or that I earned my allowance through Junior Highschool
at my Mother’s electronic subcontracting buisness hand
winding enamel coated wire around toriod cores for memory
boards…

I was greeted with suspicion when I showed up in school with
two MORE 4k Memory boards for that computer, much less that
I claimed to have that I hand wound the coils myself…

Until I handed the Comp Science teacher a handfull of powdered iron “Cheerios”.

So I guess, No, I’m not the average schmuck that is oblivious to the worms they are eating with their Apple.

To be honest I stand in awe of the genius that Apple’s marketing people display and maintain.

Like I said elsewhere, it is like the genius at General Foods 30 years ago that discovered that he could sell common sugar to housewives for $23/lb
by adding a trace of coffee, Powdered milk and some flavoring and putting it in a pretty can labeled “International Coffees”, the “genius” was the daytime TV ad campaign. (True genius was that the CAN it was packaged in cost more than the coffee, sugar and non-fat milk
and the penny’s worth of flavoring that was actually inside the can)

It’s called “Selling the illusion”, it isn’t real, frankly it doesn’t need to be real, provided the MONEY is real.

Like the common illusion in many countries today.
That Corporate taxes are anything other than a lie to get people to applaud being taxed more due to the fiction that the “Tax” is being paid by some nebulous (evil?) entity called a “Corporation”.
Does anyone here really believe that these corporations do not pass on these costs in the prices of the Food, clothing & food that they sell everyone?

Much in life is more about “Myth” than reality.

Why should apple be any different?

And people say I’m a cynical a$$hole:) Yep, and damned proud of it!

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2658653]To be honest I stand in awe of the genius that Apple’s marketing people display and maintain.[/QUOTE]

You just nailed the reason Apple is as big as it has become. I have never been all that impressed with their hardware. It isn’t terrible but it is far from the messianic stuff many claim it to be. Apple’s success is also a tribute to the desire of many people to “belong” to something. Even if they have to pay through the nose for the perceived privilege.

[QUOTE=UTR;2658658]You just nailed the reason Apple is as big as it has become. I have never been all that impressed with their hardware. It isn’t terrible but it is far from the messianic stuff many claim it to be. Apple’s success is also a tribute to the desire of many people to “belong” to something. Even if they have to pay through the nose for the perceived privilege.[/QUOTE]
You’ve pinned the tail on the ‘Apple EcoSystem’ to a t…:iagree:

I just want to state for the record that I love Apple, but mainly because of OS X. I grew up on UNIX (UNIX, as in BSD, SunOS, Xenix, etc., not Linux), so for me, OS X is the best desktop UNIX available (note that I said desktop not server).

I do like their computer hardware, finding it to be very reliable, but the limitations placed on it by their design aesthetics is very frustrating.

I could care less about their phones or tablets.

The last few years, it’s been very painful for those of us who are into the Apple computer experience – many of us techies, engineers, and scientists – as we have been shoved aside for the hipster cult that has formed around the iPhone and iPad.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2658607]What apple sells isn’t a state of the art computer, because apple hardware is in no way “Special”, generally they are six to twelve months behind everyone else.

make them believe being in an isolated (Exploited) minority is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

A lot of hyperbole and misinformation mixed in with some truth.

Yes, Apple’s hardware is definitely not state of the art in terms of specs. That’s absolutely true and even the most diehard Mac fan knows that.

DisplayPort is a VESA standard, it is not proprietary:

In addition, Apple long ago started including DVI and/or HDMI connectors on their machines. The only place they really use DisplayPort is with some laptops in the form of mini-DisplayPort, and a simple adapter allows it to connect via DVI and HDMI.

OS X is based on BSD UNIX (that’s UNIX, the Daddy, not Linux, the child). While technically it is a “proprietary” OS, it is also fully POSIX compliant, meaning that it can run just about anything and everything you can find not only in other UNIX variants, but also various GNU/Linux distributions.

I don’t think you can make a fair one-to-one comparison between OS X system updates and updates on other operating systems. For one thing, the high-cost of upgrading Windows, for example, on an existing machine, can’t be compared to the significantly cheaper OS X version upgrades (the upgrade to Mountain Lion, for example, was only $20). In some ways, OS X has an advantage, but overall, I think it evens out.

In terms of games, most die-hard gamers who have a Mac will admit that it’s better to dual-boot Windows and OS X, and use Windows for gaming. The great thing about Macs is that they can easily run Windows and OS X (and even Linux), without the need for a virtual machine or a lot of tweaking and hacking. In fact, there are many Windows people who find that the best PC for them is a Mac. While Apple often gets criticized heavily on their desktop computers, their laptops have been getting a lot of praise, even from folks who normally don’t like them.

Possibly I’m using the wrong name for the Propriatary MAC connector I’m talking about… But the point is that they do, or atleast “did”, make their own weirdo connectors “just to be different” rather than adhere to a standard.

Many Games simply don’t get made for Mac, that you MUST “dual boot” to “game” makes my point, mac hardware is no different, except for their “different to be different” stuff.

Isn’t installing windows7 on a Mac defeating the purpose of buying a Mac in the first place?

My point is that “Mac” is more about “attitude” than substance
The difference between Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard is more akin to the difference between Windows7 and Windows7-SP1 than it is the difference between Vista and Windows7.

And M$ didn’t charge me for SP1…

So you only paid $20 for Mountain Lion, and how much for Snow Leopard?
and the one before that? So they get you for $20 every so often rather than one larger amount once for each computer.

My point about “Propriatary” is that even if I had a “Mountain Lion” installer here it would be ILLEGAL to put it on a computer OTHER than a Mac, because of Mac’s licensing terms.

Apple DOES NOT sell their OS to be installed on other hardware.

“Propriatary” is a word I seriously think you need to look up in Websters
dictionary. (instead of giving me an irrelevant lecture on source code)

The point is that what you buy with your extra dollars isn’t something that’s materially better, in point of fact what many are paying for
is a belief that they are superior because they bought a Mac.

ILLUSION!

Note, I’ve used both Macs at work and PC’s. I have 3 PC’s at home. So I"m not an Apple fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. However, it appears that some of you guys are forgetting or ignoring a primary reason why a lot of people like Mac’s. Simply put, they are easy to learn and use. Not everyone is a technophile, or wants to spend a lot of time customizing things, or even needs the ability to customize things. That’s what Apple does best, make simple to use products. The best example is when one of my relatives got a iPod Touch years ago. At the time, they were fairly new. And yet my brother in law’s grandmother was able to figure out how to expand and shrink pictures and move between photos in an album with ease.
Ease of use is one primary reason besides the marketing, why the iPod killed everyone else. It was much easier to use than other mp3 players on the market. My first DAP/mp3 player was a Cowon that I bought in 2007. I got it because it was supposed to have the best sound and played FLAC files. Unfortunately it was very annoying to use, since the OS/GUI on the player was absolutely unintuitive. And unfortunately that company still hadn’t learned with later editions of DAP/mp3 players. Very nice hardware, crappy GUI/OS.

As far as hardware goes, Apple did somethings right and some wrong. They used to limit the hardware that could be used in their machines. The upside of that is that those parts always worked. There weren’t driver problems or parts that didn’t work, unlike with Windows.

Where Apple went wrong was in overcharging for their parts. And unfortunately they haven’t learned their mistake. For the cost of one MacPro workstation you can build two pretty nice PC systems that have up to date technology(USB 3.0 anyone?) Steve Jobs stance on USB 3.0, insistence on an unproven and costly technology(Thunderbolt), HDMI, and Blu-Ray support was just plain myopic and ridiculous.