Here is my criteria; what do you suggest?

vbimport

Hello. You ladies and gentlemen are truly “CD FREAKS” :slight_smile:

Been lurking here for a while, getting a feel for what DVD burner to buy. I am really considering the new NEC 3250A, based on raves about other NEC drives. My other choices would be the 109 Pioneer or BenQ, if I could find a good seller online or big box stores.

My criteria are:

-Important-

Backwards compatability with stand alone player (old Panasonic) Bitsetting?
Drive reliability
+/- able
Dual layer
Newegg or Zipzoomfly seller. B&M store will work, too.
Internal
IDE/ATAPI interface

-Not Important-

Burn speed - Would rather have accurate slower burns that fast burns.
Noise of drive

-Unsure-

Firmware support? I know NEC has a lot of hacked firmware to get the features other drives natively support.

Uses - Backing up DVD and Xbox collection (aware of mod chip needed). New baby is getting into everything, and LOVES to “arrange” our DVD collection. Soon she will figure out how to open them.

Simple data backups.

I am thinking NEC or BenQ. Who sells BenQ that is trustworthy? I know NU is a BenQ 1620, but there seems to be different 1620 (pro?) models.

Thanks for helping this DVD burning Noob.

Backwards compatability with stand alone player (old Panasonic) Bitsetting?
Drive reliability
+/- able
Dual layer
Internal
IDE/ATAPI interface

Would definately recommend an NEC, but the 3500A, flawless burns, not a bad thing heard about it yet.(to the best of my knowledge)

Backing up DVD and Xbox collection (aware of mod chip needed).
Are you aware much more than that is needed? it can be an intensive operation til you get the hang of it.(doesnt take long)

Are you aware much more than that is needed?

I assume you are referring to software. I have studied the Doom 9 guides for DVD’s DVD-9 to DVD-5, CSS, DVD Decrypter, VOB files, shrinking, etc. And as for the Xbox, the proper Bios is needed, bios loader, etc.

Correct. Check this site out for all you need to know: http://xbox-scene.com/ Check the link in my Signature out too, this is how I do Xbox Backups. Give me a PM if you get stuck or need help with anything Xbox.

If you poke around in CDFreaks you’ll find that the forum with the largest support community is NEC. There are several individuals on this forum that do modified firmware releases for some of the DVD writers. I am using a Nec3520 with Liggy&Dee’s 3520b2 firmware which has really made this a super writer. Read the forums and then decide for yourself:iagree: