Help!

Where to start…

Okay, my friend bought a new CPU recently. The Specs include:

AMD Athlon 2400+ XP
KT4 Ultra
512 RAM
Radeon 9700 128 meg
Sony 48x12x48 (no burning software or driver software included in package)

After connecting the CPU up, we encounted a problem whilst installing Windows XP. The error was : "Windows has encountered a fatal error. Damaged Parameters on E: (or something like that, sorry forgot :frowning: We were already 33% through the XP installation when this error came up).

After examining the XP CD, we saw that it had a deep scratch on it, so we disposed of it :stuck_out_tongue: We grabbed a new XP cd and continued the installation from the point where the error came up. The XP installation continued successfully, but so we thought.

Once the rest of the installation was complete, we entered the desktop, and already we had errors (the “windows has encounted a problem” ones). We restarted, and let scan disk fulfill its duties. It came up with an error in the ‘system.log’ file.

Ignoring these errors, we continued installation the motherboard, video cards drivers. After restarting when installing the drivers was complete, the CPU reset several times before it actually entered XP again. Using my CD’s (my CD-ROM : Liteon 48x12x48) we tried to install a few programs. During the installation (using my cd’s) we ALWAYS encountered a ‘corrupt file’ error, and the installation was interrupted (I lent my other friends these CD’s and they never had problems. I myself, never had this problem either). We tried to install again, but this time a new file was corrupt, and this pattern continued, with all my CD’s. At that point, we though ALL of my several CD’s were corrupt, because this error would not simply dissappear. To investigate the error further, we used several of my friends CD’s to see if the error pursisted, and to our surprise, the error never came up with any of his many CD’s.

The CD’s used were NOT all the same brand.

During the above process, we encountered many OTHER windows errors, reporting damaged clusters.

When I came home after a stressful evening, I tried the CD’s that we encountered problems with on my own PC. All of the CD’s installed and worked successfully without the slightest of problems…

I was just wondering, if you guys could suggest anything or possibly tell me if there has been reports of capability issues with Liteon burners/rewriters and Sony burners/rewriters.

From your problem I see that the problem is reading files off IDE devices - the CD drive and hard drive - try changing the IDE cables of your friend’s comp. The fact that the CDs installed fine on your PC proves that they are in good condition.

If the above doesn’t work - and if you are using two memory modules - it could be due to a mismatch in the speeds here - it had happened to one of my friend’s PCs - where such random errors came up - in this case you may need to change the memory chips itself.

Originally posted by ExpertTech
[B]From your problem I see that the problem is reading files off IDE devices - the CD drive and hard drive - try changing the IDE cables of your friend’s comp. The fact that the CDs installed fine on your PC proves that they are in good condition.

If the above doesn’t work - and if you are using two memory modules - it could be due to a mismatch in the speeds here - it had happened to one of my friend’s PCs - where such random errors came up - in this case you may need to change the memory chips itself. [/B]

Thanks, but one other question. Other CD’s that weren’t mine installed properly. If the IDE cables were mixed up, wouldn’t ever CD then have the same error?

The purchased Quake 3, Serious Sam and 4x4 Evolution (came with video card) all installed/worked fine.

Hmm…Did you do a full hard disk format and verify that there are no bad sectors on the disk - Bad sectors renders ‘some’ portion of the disk inaccesible - you could try chkdsk /f at the command prompt and check the report. The ‘lost clusters’ plus errors on some portions while installing etc signify this.

Norton Utilities Disk Doctor with surface scan should also reveal problems if any - in your friends’s case it looks pretty evident.

Thanks, we will try all of the above.