Help!

vbimport

I have a SONY VAIO which was purchased last Sept (27) and went in for repairs for a crack in the outer case where the power supply comes in. It came back, but within a month, I was having difficulty booting it so took it back to the GEEK Squad at BestBuy where I purchased it to determine what the problem was. I just got a call from them and they said that I had a mother board failure…ARGH!
I only use it for email, photos, facebook, I guess you would call me a light user compared to many of you. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do other than throw away $870 to repair a 14 month old computer? Do you think there might have been a “screw loose” from their repair that caused it to fail? Is SONY likely to give me a break on the repair considering the age and the fact that it just came back from them?
Thanks for your time!:frowning:

Never send anything to the Geek Squad.
Tell them no thanks and get it back
Buy a really good one for the $870.00 already built and ready to go, problem solved.

I doubt Sony would do anything to help you ,and you would be hard pressed to prove it had anything to do with them.

i agree with the comment above… 870 dollars would be a major rip off for repairs especially if your only doing basic stuff on your laptop which you said you are.

in fact, you can generally find a pretty good laptop (especially for general use) around the 700 dollar range, maybe less. but my general rule on most stuff is avoid the cheapest stuff since usually if you go below a certain point, quality stuff tends to suffer.

Just for kicks, since “motherboard failure” is way too general, ask them what specific component of the motherbaord failed and why. I have no experience with the Geek Squad nor do I plan to, but they should at least be pressured a little bit if they are asking $870 for repairs. I agree with bean55, for the money you can spend less and get more with a new system.

[QUOTE=suzeq;2468592]I have a SONY VAIO which was purchased last Sept (27) and went in for repairs for a crack in the outer case where the power supply comes in. It came back, but within a month, I was having difficulty booting it so took it back to the GEEK Squad at BestBuy where I purchased it to determine what the problem was. I just got a call from them and they said that I had a mother board failure…ARGH!
I only use it for email, photos, facebook, I guess you would call me a light user compared to many of you. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do other than throw away $870 to repair a 14 month old computer? Do you think there might have been a “screw loose” from their repair that caused it to fail? Is SONY likely to give me a break on the repair considering the age and the fact that it just came back from them?
Thanks for your time!:([/QUOTE]

You can get a new system. Something like this. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+Pavilion+dv4-1551dx+Laptop+Package+with+3-in-1+Printer+%26+Sleeve/9999120400050019.p?skuId=9999120400050019&productCategoryId=pcmcat196200050013&id=pcmprd120500050019

But last day for this price is Wednesday 11/25/2009. It is a 4 day only sale.

If you was to go purchase this one you may be tempted to ask them if they lost there frickin mind on that repair bill they quoted you. :smiley: Be gentle or NOT

It sounds like “we can’t be bothered but if your daft enough we will repair it for a stupid amount of money!” however they really want to sell you a new machine.

[QUOTE=bean55;2468640]If you was to go purchase this one you may be tempted to ask them if they lost there frickin mind on that repair bill they quoted you. :smiley: Be gentle or NOT[/QUOTE]

[B]Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions…I guess I am disenchanted as I really wanted a good computer that had the built in video cam and the larger screen as I am expecting my first grandchild shortly and wanted to have that option…:sad: Anyone have an opinion about getting it back from Geeksquad and buying the “bad” component from Sony and getting it installed by someone who builds computers? [/B]

[QUOTE=weedougie;2468650]It sounds like “we can’t be bothered but if your daft enough we will repair it for a stupid amount of money!” however they really want to sell you a new machine.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the way car mechanics can also treat ladies that they think know nothing :wink:

I agree with all the comments above, including the one suggesting you ask the Geek Squad specifically what’s wrong (if only for the curiosity value!). :iagree:

Good luck with what you decide. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Re: the suggestion of buying the new component from Sony and getting someone to fit it - I’ll be willing to bet my entire blank media collection that Sony would charge way more for the part, than you would pay from a regular PC store. :wink: