Help

vbimport

I hve a laptop that will not boot up. i don’t know why this is but everytime i try it it will not start. i have read online how to fix this and bought the materials i needed it said to get an external hard drive to put my hard drive in i did that but it wont fix the problem because it has raw files. if anyone can tell me how to convert these files so they are not raw anymore it would be greatly appreciated thanx:a

Just to be clear: Your laptop will not boot up. You removed the hard drive from the laptop and put it in an external enclosure. You want to save the data on this hard drive but the data is in “raw format”. Is this right?
I don’t know what “raw” files are, do you mean pictures that are captured/saved using the raw format? Are you planning on fixing/keeping the laptop? What operating system are you using on the computer that your external hard drive enclosure is now connected to?
What operating system is on your laptop? What brand, make/model, laptop is it?

You might need some kind of recovery software to read the drive. There are some free ones out there but its a matter of finding one thats best suited. If your drive was formatted to NTFS try THIS ONE, if it was formatted to FAT try THIS ONE. Both are free and they just want you to register the product to have full use. You only need one of them, but you need to remember which file system you HDD was formatted to (either NTFS or FAT).

[QUOTE=Whappo;2458412]Just to be clear: Your laptop will not boot up. You removed the hard drive from the laptop and put it in an external enclosure. You want to save the data on this hard drive but the data is in “raw format”. Is this right?
I don’t know what “raw” files are, do you mean pictures that are captured/saved using the raw format? Are you planning on fixing/keeping the laptop? What operating system are you using on the computer that your external hard drive enclosure is now connected to?
What operating system is on your laptop? What brand, make/model, laptop is it?[/QUOTE]

yes that’s correct it will not boot up its a gateway laptop and im running a command prompt in the start menu. i run a chkdsk and it says some files are raw and the program is unable to read those files. it does not say what files are raw. i would like to fix the laptop so i can keep it.

It’s still unclear: If your laptop won’t boot how are you running any command like chkdsk?
What operating system are you using? Is there some reason you need to run chkdsk? If this hard drive is in an enclosre on a different PC can you just browse the hard drive from My Computer?
Do you have a bootable windows disk that you can run Repair from?

Once again, what operating system are you using?