vbimport

ok here is the situation:

software/hardware used:
nero 8
ConvertXtoDVD v3.2.1.55
Dvd Shrink v3.2
WinAVI v8
burner: sony drx-710 (latest firmware) dual layer

about 1 week ago, any dvd i burn will no longer play on 2 different dvd players. these players have NEVER had any problem playing burned dvd+r disks before for the last 2 yrs+. i usually use memorex dvd+r. i have even tried verbatim disks. i have even bought a NEW dvd burner. i have uninstalled and reinstalled all programs, even tried using older versions of the programs listed above. still no new disks i burn will work in either dvd player. the weird thing is, old dvds i have burned work fine still. its just new ones do not play at all. i have used nero disk speed to check the quality of the new burned movies. results are listed below:

+++Nero Disk Speed 4 Results+++
General Information
Drive: SONY DVD RW DRU-710A
Firmware: BYX5
Disc: DVD+R (MCC 002)
Selected speed: 4 X
PI errors
Maximum: 10
Average: 0.85
Total: 11491
PI failures
Maximum: 2
Average: 0.00
Total: 496
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 17:22
Number of samples: 87507
Average scanning interval: 1.25 ECC
Glitches removed: 42985
++++
the only thing i have done to the pc recently is update graphics card drivers and the nforce chipset to latest drivers.

please someone help me!!!

//HoOjoE

Post a Nero burn log. How old is your drive?

[QUOTE=beef barley;2149772]Post a Nero burn log. How old is your drive?[/QUOTE]

burning new disk with nero now…will post log when done…drive is about 3-4 yrs old…but as i said i bought a brand NEW drive from bestbuy today and get the same results :frowning:

Just a thought while we’re waiting - Are these commercial movies you are trying to backup (copy protected)? If so, what are you using to address the copy protection?

Do the burned discs play in the computer?

[B]Update question: Have the discs been closed/finalised?[/B]

[QUOTE=jeff53404;2149777]Just a thought while we’re waiting - Are these commercial movies you are trying to backup (copy protected)? If so, what are you using to address the copy protection?

Do the burned discs play in the computer?[/QUOTE]

no, these are avi, mpg stuff downloaded off the internet so copy protection is not an issue. discs play fine in pc…no problems at all

[QUOTE=hoojoe;2149778]no, these are avi, mpg stuff downloaded off the internet so copy protection is not an issue. discs play fine in pc…no problems at all[/QUOTE]

First off does the avi, mpg play properly on your pc?? That is where I would go first and look at. Usually bad source file lead to bad burns and poor playback.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2149803]First off does the avi, mpg play properly on your pc?? That is where I would go first and look at. Usually bad source file lead to bad burns and poor playback.[/QUOTE]

yes all files ive downloaded play perfectly fine with no skipping/errors in avi, mpg etc using win media player, divx player, etc on my pc

Just go to Target or Walmart and get yourself a Philips DVD/DivX player model DVP 5140 for $39.99. Converting sucks, takes too long, and you lose quality, plus you can put like 6 700MB movies on 1 DVD.:wink:

Hi,quote=hoojoe;2149769
about 1 week ago, any dvd i burn will no longer play on 2 different dvd players. (…)
the only thing i have done to the pc recently is update graphics card drivers and the [B][I]nforce chipset to latest drivers[/I][/B].
[/quote]
this might be the culprit. Do not install Nvidia’s IDE drivers.
Run the Nvidia installer from Control Panel->Add/Remove Software and uninstall the Nvidia IDE drivers.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2150212]Hi,
this might be the culprit. Do not install Nvidia’s IDE drivers.
Run the Nvidia installer from Control Panel->Add/Remove Software and uninstall the Nvidia IDE drivers.

Michael[/QUOTE]

well the sony burner im using is USB 2… ill try and remove the ide drivers to see what happens. im going to take back the new dvd burner i got and get a new dvd player to see if that makes any difference. ill let you all know what happens…
thanks for all the help and ill keep ya posted

[quote=hoojoe;2150584]well the sony burner im using is USB 2.[/quote]Ooops! I missed that :doh:
The Nvidia IDE driver thing does not affect USB drives. It might still be a good idea if you have IDE HDD installed.

Michael

i got it figured out…apparently some people have an issue with nero 8 and using dvd shrink to burn dvds.
there is some type of conflict were it will create a dvd that works in the pc, but it wont play in dvd players because it dosent create some folder.

anyway the work around is use dvd shrink to get the dvd files on your hard drive. then burn using Nero Express. i did this on 2 videos and they play on both dvd players fine.

or uncheck the ‘use nero to burn’ option on dvd shrink and use a diff program to burn the dvd.

i dont have the link copied, but just do a search on google - 'nero 8 and dvd shrink’
there are lots of threads on it…
thanks for the help everyone!!!
until next time :clap: