Help

I have LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-165P6S that was not recognizing a DVD when I put it in. I did a search last night to try and update the firmware and decided to just try one at random. Well after I did that it changed to LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S. I am new to all this and am not sure what to do. Can someone please walk me through the process?? Thank you in advance for all the help. :a

[QUOTE=tk7433;1942278]I have LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-165P6S that was not recognizing a DVD when I put it in. I did a search last night to try and update the firmware and decided to just try one at random. Well after I did that it changed to LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S. I am new to all this and am not sure what to do. Can someone please walk me through the process?? Thank you in advance for all the help. :a[/QUOTE]

So did you already do the firmware flash or not?? What do you mean “try one at random”??? The process should have a explaination from the liteon site when you go there explaining how it does it if not the flash software will instruct you as you go about flashing. caution don’t have any software open or running when flashing or have suddenly restart as this kill the flash process rendering your drive void of warranty. And with other programs running will cause system resource conflicts with the flash software aborting the process causing you to have a nonfunctioning drive thus rending again the warranty void. There some discussion on the forum of users reflashing a bad flash device but you probably have to talk to them how that process went. But if you check the liteon global site for the firmware and make of your model they should have the link and firmware to update your drive.

[QUOTE=tk7433;1942278]I have LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-165P6S that was not recognizing a DVD when I put it in. I did a search last night to try and update the firmware and decided to just try one at random.[/QUOTE] Well that’s a fairly daring choice, don’t you think?

Let me teach you the path of enlightment in a very sarcastic way:

0: There more frustrated you are and help you expect, the less you are gonna get help. It’s some sort of universal balanced law.

1 : You don’t yell “help”, since people around you are not mind readers. You yell “help, [subject]”, where [subject] is the actual subject of the thing you want to have help for. You also ruined it for all the other people who wanted to post a new thread with the word “Help”. Think of the other people.

2: There is unofficial firmware and there’s official firmware. You would like to have firmware that enabled your device to recognize more different media. Could you tell us where you got the firmware from and what process did you do to enable this new firmware. Remember the rules: no illegal stuff!

3: What is “a” DVD. Is it like “a” car? Details. We need lots of details.

4: Think logical.

Wow Mr. Belvedere that was kind of harsh words. I am sorry I am new here and new to all this technical stuff. But to answer your question. I got the firmware from this site. MV7U is what I clicked on. When I did that I got a beige box that had my drive listed at the top which used to be LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-165P6S. I clicked on update and when the update was done I clicked on quit and exited out of that. I inserted a dvd movie that I wanted to back up and still nothing but a constant blinking light on my dvd drive which is my “D” drive. So i went to the device manager and clicked on cd/dvd ROM drives and listed under there was:
LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6 MV7U. I uninstalled it and rebooted and let my computer find the new hardware. When I went back to the device manager and looked under cd/dvd rom again it was back to the
LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MV7U. I am not sure what details exactly you need or if what I gave you will work.

Hi tk7433 and welcome to cdfreaks :slight_smile:

MS0R would probably be a better choice for your drive. You can get it here:
http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html#SHM-165P6S

If after flashing this firmware the light still blinks, even when a disc is not inserted, then you will need to check your checksum in your drive, with the EEPROM Utility, and possibly what model your drive actually is. There is also a 165H6S as well, which has Lightscribe. The EEPROM Utility will tell you which model your drive is when you select the Upgrade function. Don’t change anything with this function yet, just let us know what model it reports your drive currently is…

[QUOTE=tk7433;1942330]Wow Mr. Belvedere that was kind of harsh words.[/quote] Nah, just a little sarcasm. No need to get scared. I can’t bite you. :slight_smile:

I got the firmware from this site. MV7U is what I clicked on. When I did that I got a beige box that had my drive listed at the top which used to be LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-165P6S. I clicked on update and when the update was done I clicked on quit and exited out of that. I inserted a dvd movie that I wanted to back up and still nothing but a constant blinking light on my dvd drive which is my “D” drive. So i went to the device manager and clicked on cd/dvd ROM drives and listed under there was:
LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6 MV7U. I uninstalled it and rebooted and let my computer find the new hardware. When I went back to the device manager and looked under cd/dvd rom again it was back to the
LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MV7U. I am not sure what details exactly you need or if what I gave you will work.

Usually a firmware update requires a reboot of your operating system (OS).

At the Liteon site i found This official MS0R firmware for your writer. It supports more media, but i think the firmware C0deKing mentioned will also work.

If, after a reboot, the drive is recognized correctly by the OS it’s time to test if it can read different kinds of media. You still haven’t told us what kind of dvd media you have tried. Maybe that specific brand of media has issues or the media has been too badly damaged.

Does it recognize blank (writable) media in your writing program? Can you write and read back written media?

To easily test this get some dvd that will work in any other dvd player and insert that disc in your LiteOn writer. See if it recognizes the files on the disc.