Help With Virtual CD Drives?

Hello everyone. I’m new to this forum. Although I like to make backup copies of my purchased games, my real love for CloneCD has been the ability to make disc images which I then mount for playing at LAN parties. This has worked great until Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII and TRON 2.0. They apparently use latest versions of SafeDisc and SecuRom for protection and I’ve also read about Virtual CD drives being blacklisted in this forum. Is there no way to make these disc images work on a CloneCD virtual drive? Would a virtual drive in another program work? By the way, my physical copies of these games also do not work. I have a Plextor Premium, the latest (possibly last) version of CloneCD, and “hide CDR media” enabled. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I don’t want to start buying other programs such as Alcohol 120% if they won’t solve the virtual drive problem.

The CloneCD virtual drive and Hide ATIP function has been blacklisted by several games, the only way to fix this is with a new release of CloneCD.
You should uninstall CloneCD and reinstall it without the virtual drive.
For a virtual drive you can use Daemon Tools from http://www.daemon-tools.cc/portal/portal.php
Also if running games from a virtual drive you do not need any ATIP hiding tool running and should have it turned off.

Does Alcohol 120% also provide virtual drives or is Daemon Tools the best option for virtual drives? If I have to uninstall the virtual drive component of CloneCD, what will prevent Alchohol 120% or Daemon Tools from also being blacklisted in the future?

Alcohol does provide virtual drives and there’s little difference between them and daemon tools’ virtual drives (not surprising since both are programmed by Venom386).

As for blacklistings? Well there’s nothing to prevent both alcohol’s and dt’s virtual drives from being blacklisted in the future. In fact, it happens all the time. However, both programs are updated regularly so as to overcome the latest blacklistings.

Until CloneCD is re-released, there is only one way around the VCD blacklist.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=479744#post479744

Originally posted by philamber
[B]Alcohol does provide virtual drives and there’s little difference between them and daemon tools’ virtual drives (not surprising since both are programmed by Venom386).

As for blacklistings? Well there’s nothing to prevent both alcohol’s and dt’s virtual drives from being blacklisted in the future. In fact, it happens all the time. However, both programs are updated regularly so as to overcome the latest blacklistings. [/B]

I heard that the latest c&c generals patch bans alc 120 virtual drives now…so none are safe.

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]Until CloneCD is re-released, there is only one way around the VCD blacklist.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=479744#post479744 [/B]

I thought they were not going to release a virtual drive in the new version of clonecd…at least thats what i heard.

is there a way to install alc120 without a virtual drive…seems not to be…hate to have that title blacklisted for something i dont use. Yes i set the virtual devices to 0 in the settings and reboot, but is it still in registry?

@jamos

yes it is still in registry.

You can delete the scsi drive though