Help with the Sims

My friend is having trouble with th sims games. Here is what he said to me:

When he tries to play any of the sims games, the program executes but after diplaying the logos (eg EA Games) the game cuts out and returns to the desktop. This behaviour started after he installed sims superstar. The problem persisted even after uninstalling all the games and reinstalling them (except sims superstar).

My friend appriciates all help given.

Thanks in advance

Chris

I had a very similar problem with an EA game C&C Generals. In my case it was several changes I made that resolved the issue. I changed freq to 75hz, I updated to the latest DirectX9.1(I think the directX really fixed it) and I also downgraded my NVidia drivers by one version. Then my game ran. So I guess consider these questions:

What video drivers and settings does your friend have?
What video card?
Version of DirectX?
Is he playing from the original CD?
Monitor resolution and freqeuncy?

Consider doing all these and updates and then a reinstall of the game as well. Hope any of those suggestions help. :slight_smile:

Well he’s very computer illiterate. Asking him one of those questions would result in hours upon gours on the phone. I’ll just try to get him to upgrade his direct x.

BTW, it is an original game.

you can pass options into the start game shortcut to bypass the load screens - i had to do it for my sisters at one point. EA tech support is very good at helping.

I’ll get him to do that then, thanks.

Originally posted by Chriso
…When he tries to play any of the sims games, the program executes but after diplaying the logos (eg EA Games) the game cuts out and returns to the desktop. This behaviour started after he installed sims superstar. The problem persisted even after uninstalling all the games and reinstalling them (except sims superstar)…

Mmm, for that matter i have found that EA doesn’t program its setups very well. I have had all sorts of problems with the Sims and the addons (and other EA Games). First i had a black screen while starting the “normal” sims, then when i tried to install Sims n Vacation it said “Couldn’t execute RPC” etc.

Has he installed them in the right order? I know it sounds funny but with the sims you need to install them in a specific order or they stuff up

Everything was fine until he installed Sims Superstar. But I’ll check anyway.

I have the sims and 3 or 4 expansions as well and when I installed them in the wrong order I had all sorts of problems. It usually tells you the order in which to install them in the booklet that came with the expansion somewhere in the first few pages.