Help with SOHW 812S (doesn't burn that well)

vbimport

Hi,
I bought a LiteOn SOHW 812S with firmware USOJ.
I then upgraded it to USOQ.
My burns are not impressive so far, whether I use Maxell DVD-R 4X Ricohjpnr01, or Fuji Film DVD-R 4X TYG01.

The burns were done @ 4X, using ASPI.
They were a bit worse at 2.4X

Here’s a typical Kprobe 2.23 check:

I would like to know what I can do to improve the burns.

@amy118
Try US0N and see what the results are like. Follow the link in my signature to find the firmware.

Thanks,
I’m on my way to USON.
Will post results later.

USOQ has some strategies that work better which USON does not have. I am also wondering if the drive stores some burn quality info since I am having trouble believing that my burns keep getting better and better. I have not been successful to burn ANY -R media @ 4X and get good results including the ritek -R 4X that came with the drive. I did get TDK’s +R to burn fine @ 4x and sorta @ 8X. For -R think I’ll stick to Princo’s… Those 4X princo’s work just fine @ 2x with using the new strategy. actually since it costs 1/4th to 1/8th what those other media costs, The slow speed is rather okay :), just start a burn before going to sleep.

>>>Maxell DVD-R 4X Ricohjpnr01<<< Thought that was DVD+R?

My advice from what I can figure out is buy some cheap media that burns @ 2x and get some decent burns before moving up. Once you figure out how to burn and gets things up and running it works better. Or maybe that was because I have turned off the 2 extra options in Nero next to buffer underrun protection enabled the options marked smart burn enabled and DVD high compatibility modes which causes problems with burns.

My very first DVD disk burn (ever) :slight_smile: using US0J (Second pic at the Bottom) which came with the drive And my second burn same disk but with US0N (First pic at the top). After which I got 25 coasters. So first advice to others would be stay with what you got until you figure it all out.

Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD-ROM
Manufacturer Ricoh Company Limited
Media ID RICOHJPNR01
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 0.00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 8.0x
Maximum Write Speed 8.0x
Current Write Speed 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 4 2.4x CLV

Ampikle, U’re right, it’s Maxell DVD+R 4X Ricohjpnr01.

USON doesn’t seem to help:

USON, Ricohjpn01 burned @8x gave basically the same result, but with PIF max=3 instead of 8

Do you have any other media? I have one more TDK left, My other +R burns with using other +R 8X disks @2X have been okay, but 4X and 8X have been terrible but not as bad as the -R versions. TDK has run out of stock in S.E Asia. Maybe they are getting some more now but I am waiting to burn that disk until I can buy some more. I also have not tried the +R 8X disk out yet that came with the unit until I can figure out what is going on. When we burnt Cd’s in 91 we had a lot of problems with them, But nothing as perplexing like this. Good thing I saved the US0J bios that came with the unit. Maybe that will fix it back.

you can go back and forth with your firmwares if you get them from here…http://dhc014.rpc1.org/indexOEM.htm#L
so dont worry about saving one…but your scans look really bad for that media…ive gotten 3 bad liteon 812s in a row before i had one that burnt pretty decent…if they are brand new may want to rma them.

amy118, reflash to US0N with “FlashFix” and remove ASPI…, then you try a new burn and test it with Kprobe.

What would removing aspi do???

The ASPI aren’t always necessary …, and in some systems they can cause problems. Nothing happens if you remove them and test the burner.

ASPI removed.
Now my 812S, flashed back to USON, is running on SPTI.

The new scans are only slightly improved (PI max at 400-500 instead of 700-800 like before, PIF same).
But now my computer gets very sluggish during the burn, CPU usage is only 3-5%, but I can’t do anything else but watching the burn finish.