Help With SATA2 HDD

vbimport

Hello all i bought a Western Digital 500gb SATA Harddrive.

I will be using it as a secondary drive for games

I know that its backwards compatible with sata 1 ports on my but im a bit confused with the jumpers i looked at a PDF and saying about the confiuration i know if i put the jumper on pins 5-6 it will go to a sata 1 aka1.50gb/s but what left it to the normal configuration(sated for normal desktop use) what would happen?

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf

^ Thats the .pdf

So really i don’t have a problem i just have a curoisity.

Thanks to any answers in advance Melon7.

Hi,

the point is, there are some Sata (I) controllers, that are not perfectly according to the specs (Example: Via 8237). Connecting a Sata II HDD will cause issues. In that case, the drive must be configured to Sata I mode for proper operation.

Michael

The drive is not being detected!!! Help!

Its detected in BIOS but not on the drives list.

Windows XP Home SP2

ASRock775i65g (maybe not backward compatible?)

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard Melon7. :iagree: :clap:
You need to format the drive for your OS to see it.

Hi :slight_smile:
Just in case you don’t know.
Right click on My Computer > Click on Manage > Click on Disk Management > Right click on the drive (it should be visible here), then in the menu click on Format.
Then just follow the instructions.

Yeah i knew i had to do that. It would seem the problem was a dodgy data cable.

However i know that a gigabyte is 1024mb yet the drive is 465GB and that still too low for the manufactures 1000mb = 1gb.

500 * 1000 / 1024 = 488 so were has 15gb gone?

1 GB is 1.000.000.000 Bytes, which equals 465 GB in the classic numbering system.

[QUOTE=Melon7;2058518]Yeah i knew i had to do that. It would seem the problem was a dodgy data cable.

However i know that a gigabyte is 1024mb yet the drive is 465GB and that still too low for the manufactures 1000mb = 1gb.

500 * 1000 / 1024 = 488 so were has 15gb gone?[/QUOTE]

All you’ll ever get of usable space is 93% of the drives advertised size so
93% of 500GB = 465GB of usable space. Take for instance my 300GB hdd’s
they only show up as 279GB so it is 93% of 300GB = 279GB :sad: the Mfg’s.
advertised size of say 300GB or 500GB is just a marketing gimmick to draw
people in to buying a product thinking wow I’ll get a full 500GB or whatever size
hdd only to find out that things isn’t what it seems. A few years ago someone
filed or tried to file a class action law suite against I believe it was IBM or some
hdd Mfg. for mis-representing the hdd’s actual size. I can’t remember if anything
was ever done about the law suite or not. :confused:

The units are standardized:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte (1 GiB = 2^30 Bytes) <-- That’s what Windows is using (wrongly using GB instead of GiB unit)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte (1 GB = 10^9 Bytes) <-- That’s what storage manufacturers are using

Michael

YEP–It seams they can make 500Gb/750Gb n 1Terrabite Drives but they can’t give us what they Advertise…So if they can do 1TRB drives then why can’t they do 500GB as 500GB after format…
RIP OFF Merchants…
PERLEASE don’t use the Old Maths things, that went out years ago…With todays technoligy of 1TRb drives they can give 500GB to be 500GB…