Help with RITEKG04 dvd-r & nec 2500

Hello all, newbie here and first post…

I just received my NEC 2500 from newegg.com with 5 free RITEKG04 dvd-r, i prepared my backup dvd movie with dvdshrink 3.17 and tried to burn with nero 6.3.0.3, it gets to the writing to disk screen and then just freezes, the last dialogue is burn process started at 4x…i am using stock firmware, manufactured feb 2004, dma is on, it produced 3 coasters and then i updated nero to 6.3.1.6 and it produced the final 2 coasters…all dvd-r s wasted:sad:

I tested the drive with CD and it burnt perfectly…are there any parameters i should set? or am i using the wrong media? has anyone had this problem?..is it even possible to back up movies on dvd-r for play on standalone players?

please help

Thanks in advance all:bigsmile:

Are you using Nvidia IDE controller drivers or Intel Application Accelerator?

intel

IAA is bad for burners on some systems.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92320

Thanks a lot for all the help rdgrimes, apparently it must have been the media, i am running stock firmware and the free dvd-r’s i received from newegg.com might have been the problem, here is the Media Information:

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEKG04
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 412352512
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 08
2x Speed OPC power 12
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 86 67 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 05
4x Speed OPC power 1B
4x Write Strategy field 1 0E 10 08 09
4x Write Strategy field 2 97 06 0D 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 04
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1D
4x Write Strategy field 4 18 A8 88 85
4x Write Strategy field 5 89 AC 88 80 00 00
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

I then ran off to Officemax this morning and bought the FujiFilm DVD+ R/RW 4x combo discs and it worked fine, DVD+R @ 6x and RW @ 4x (RW) even worked fine on the infamously picky SONY DVP-S560D standalone player, here is the Media Information:

Media Information                            

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNW11
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name NEW
Application id
Implementation id AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 4/16/2004 11:06:28
Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+RW
Media Type DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
BG Format Status Suspended
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 23053Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

So questions are…

1. to use the bitsetting features, do i have to mod the firmware or can it work on stock firmware via dvdinfopro?

2. I am so confused as to which firmware to use, Herrie has a lot out there and also TDB…i just do not know which version to go with…i basically do not care about write speed but prefer quality and also a good ripspeed

3. Lastly, about the firmware flash limits…if i use a modded firmware…do i set booktype in nero or in dvdinfo only??

Thanks a lot for all the help guys
:bigsmile:

There is firmware available with just the rip-speed limit removed, and one with both speed and RPC limits removed.
The newer beta firmwares from Herrie are all about burn speeds and strategies, and are certainly not required for the casual user. But they also include the rip speed and bitsetting mods.

Bitsetting is only avaible with the beta firmware (B-7 now). Unless you have a player compatability issue you need to fix, bitsetting has no value for you.

One use of bitsetting i find, is when i want to use something on my DVD+R discs on say a friends computer. However, a lot of my friends have older generation DVD-Rom drives, and you will be amazed to see how many of these exist.

Basically these older DVD-ROM drives will NOT read DVD+R or DVD+RW. So bitsetting it to DVD-ROM really helps as they read the discs perfectly. As of now I bitset all my +R discs. -R have a greater compatibility anyways, so guarantees compatibility overall.