Help with replacement DVD media

Hi,

I have burnt about 200 DVD’s from the same iso and all have played on my player but a few have been rejecetd on other standalones. My player is… Dec 2003 vintage…

DIGITREX SLIMLINE 5.1CH DVD PLAYER
LATEST RELEASE - MULTIZONE - PROGRESSIVE SCAN
AFF - 192KHz 24BIT DAC

PLAYS: DVD / DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD-R / DVD-RW / CD-R / CD-RW / VCD / SVCD
KODAK PICTURE CD / JPEG / HDCD / WINDOWS MEDIA AUDIO

I have burnt always to the same Princo DVD-R x4 White top media using Ulead DVD Workshop on a Pioneer A106D burner.

Those that don’t play on other players never stop at the same place. Some at the Menu, others 18 mins in and others 10 mins in etc. Some played it once then stopped at the menu the 2nd time around and stayed that way. The new disc played okay!

The players that reject them so far are…

Magnavox (1 year old) Waiting on Model #
LiteOn (1 year old)Waiting on Model #
Samsung V7000

Is there a media that can be assured of playing in these?

These people will send their DVD back and I need to have a replacement that will play, even to burn individula ones for their actual player.

Thanks

oz
:confused:

burn at 2x. or use better discs and see how that goes. do u live in australia? get TDK 4x. they r taiyo yuden made and work at any burn speed on the 106.

oh u do live in australia. the TDK i got r DVD-R 4.80 a disc at dick smith electronics. they r way more expensive than the princo however they r the best quality u can get. if the players dont play that then they r just plain & simply crap.

@cd pirate and all other Aussies,

Check out the message I just posted about CD-R and DVD bargains. It’s time to stock up, so go get to it!!!

Thanks guys…

I’ll go check out and try the TDK 4x Taiyo Yuden discs.

Are they white or at least clear of logos’ etc. on the top as I have to put a label on them.

oz

What about the RITEKG04. They speak well of them on this site…

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia.php?order=Views/Popularity

Mind you, they also speak highly of the Princo.

Oz

Princo arent the best mate. i think ritek r meant to be good. i would love to try some myself.

the TDK do not have a white top. but the surface is pretty blank anyways. personally i would not but labels on dvd’s coz they will affect the readability of it.

why do u want to put labels on them anyway?? i don’t think its a good idea mate. for cds it doesnt matter but i have heard people having trouble with their burns after they put a label on.

yes, I know what you’re saying, but these DVDs are ‘For sale’ and they either have to be printed on, or have a label. Like CD shop DVDs.

I have a 80% okay rate with the Princos even, but would like to get it up to 99 or so.

oz

what do u mean theyre for sale?? ur selling burnt movies or something?!?!? watch out dude. u might get busted lol.

if u want a higher sucess rate with princos burn them at 2x. do u ever scan with kprobe? i would do that to make sure the discs r okay.

how much do u pay for ur princos BTW. i have gotten them in spindles for about 1.80 each.

No, we produce ‘live’ shows, video them then sell the DVD’s of them as well as other collector stuff.

For my Princo I paid $40 for the 25 pack I think.

Both these places have good prices…

http://www.eyo.com.au
http://www.arcco.com.au

I am all new to this DVD stuff and am not sure about the media scan stuff. What exactly does it tell me about the disc? Would it tell me whether the discs are 100% compat ?

I have just found out another 2 Princos didn’t fully work… On an LG (getting model number), Toshiba model SD 2500Y but worked great on a a cheapo OTIC.

Is there a list of discs with compatible burners and players anywhere?

I used DVDInfo to get these results from one of the blank Princos but can’t find how to read it or what to do with the info.

00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 97 0E 0B .l…@…R…
77 88 70 00 03 50 52 49 4E 43 4F 00 04 00 00 00 w.p…PRINCO…
00 00 00 00 05 AA A2 22 22 20 01 00 06 0B 0F 12 …"" …

Any help?

Oz:)

Since you are selling a product, I would surmise that the cost of the blank disc is only a small fraction of the total cost of the finished product. If you factor in the costs of returned discs, (which can be fairly costly), the cheaper media may not be such a good idea. Stick with TY DVD-R or Maxell DVD-R, and your incidence of returned discs will go down. Also I would suggest not labeling the discs, except with a dedicated printer.

Thanks… Yes the cost of the actual disc is not a problem and we went to Princo due to the great CD experience we had with them over the years. If we have to spend $5 a disc to get our returns down, then that’s what we will spend.

When you say TY for DVD-R do you mean any brand that has the TY media code ?
I have found a TDK 4x with the code TYG01 for example. It also seems the RitekG04 is okay.

I made several types of searches on a list I found here…

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia.

Appreciate your experience here…

Oz

:slight_smile:

I recommend DVD-R for compatability reasons, although there are players that prefer DVD+R too.
TY is the best of the best. Maxell is #2. Both will be marked “Made In Japan”.
Ritek is “average”, and may not be as compatable for your customers in some players.

For your question on the players, dvdrhelp also has a DVD player compatibility list (see my signature for the link).
Just so you are aware, there are some players (thankfully they are rare) that simply will not play any type of recorded DVD’s. There is no such thing as “Universal compatibility” in a DVD burner yet.

Labeling the media won’t help either. As rd said invest in an inkjet printer that can print on DVD’s. The results look very professional and it is by far the least risky labeling method.

Yes I will look around here in OZ for an economical printer.

There are a few here but the last time I looked, they cost the earth.

Do you have any models you have had experience with?

Another problem before was that the ink was not waterproof. Maybe that has changed now as well.

Thanks

Oz:)

the ink was not waterproof

It’s true, you should not lick your DVD’s. :bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Now that’s an idea… edible DVD’s !

Eat them when your done looking at them!

Oz;)

Originally posted by ozstar
[B]Now that’s an idea… edible DVD’s !

Eat them when your done looking at them!

Oz;) [/B]

That’s not too far off the movie discs they have been selling in the USA. They self-destruct after a few days of being opened. They sell for about $8 and are supposed to be an alternative to rentals. They have not caught on here, (gee, I wonder why?), and will likely be gone soon. Maybe if they made them edible…:iagree:

Anyway, there’s also the thermal-printers for discs, but the consumables (tapes) are pretty expensive.

http://www.accaproducts.com/cddvdprinters.html

Originally posted by ozstar
[B]Yes I will look around here in OZ for an economical printer.

There are a few here but the last time I looked, they cost the earth.

Do you have any models you have had experience with?

Another problem before was that the ink was not waterproof. Maybe that has changed now as well.

Thanks

Oz:) [/B]

I’ve always liked Epson printers personally.

This one will be good for photo’s (ie nice quality) as well as printing on CD/DVD’s. :iagree: It’s also pretty cheap at only $179 US. You were probably looking at more commercial type printers, but for your needs this one would probably do just fine.
Just make sure you get inkjet printable media :smiley:

Oh and btw, if you mix in flavoring in the inktanks it’s helps the the taste for licking them! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and btw, if you mix in flavoring in the inktanks it’s helps the the taste for licking them!

Cyan would be mint.
Magenta would be strawberry
Yellow would be lemon.

So what would an orange and green picture taste like?

What about black, licorice?

We may on to something here, better call the patent office.