Help with removing Pops and Crackles on an MP3

I didn’t have much luck with audacity on my last album conversion project either. I ended up trying creative’s Wave Studio and ended up with beautiful click/pop free music. You need to open the MP3 in Audacity and use the file>export function to save it as a wav file to work with in Wave studio. I had the best luck by opening the file, clicking play, and when a pop came up stopped it and left click dragged to highlight just the tiny portion containing the pop. An audio editor can be much more accurate with it’s filters on a smaller sample of sound in this case.

Thanks for the info deanwitty.
cholla, when you said you converted an flv to an MP3 on Audacity, isn’t flv a video file? If so how were you able to drag it to Audacity?

In my case, I had random clicks/pops through the recording, and it took a little time to isolate them and run wave studio’s filter on them. But I didn’t mind the time spent as it actually did what I needed and gave me the perfect sounding MP3’s I was looking for :).

I tried the Wave Editor. It was so easy. It took me some time to learn it. Thanks for letting me know about it. Also, I didn’t see a “Bass” Effect. I saw the equalizer. After I am done removing the Cracks and Pops, do I burn it on Wave Editor? If not how do I save my changes to the song and get the song back in my Music Folder?
Cholla, also thanks so much for your help and finding the song. It does sound better than my first one.

One more question. A friend of mine has a Pink Floyd CD Rom that came with a Floyd DVD. He wanted to record the songs onto another CD from the CD Rom. I told him I didn’t think you could pick certain songs off a CD Rom and Burn them. Am I right?
ptfitzy

[QUOTE=ptfitzy;2636389]
cholla, when you said you converted an flv to an MP3 on Audacity, isn’t flv a video file?
[/QUOTE]
Yes a .flv is an Audio/Video file . Audacity can demux the audio from a .flv file . You need to install the FFMpeg plugin or library as well as the LAME .mp3 one.

[QUOTE=ptfitzy;2636389 ]If so how were you able to drag it to Audacity? [/QUOTE]
Actually I seldom “drag” any file into Audacity .
I use the file pulldown & open the file.

[QUOTE=ptfitzy;2636418] One more question. A friend of mine has a Pink Floyd CD Rom that came with a Floyd DVD. He wanted to record the songs onto another CD from the CD Rom. I told him I didn’t think you could pick certain songs off a CD Rom and Burn them. Am I right?
ptfitzy[/QUOTE]
Exact Audio Copy is the program I use to rip (read) CD’s . It takes some setting up but works well for this. Don’t get too hung up on the offset setting. You can select any song track individually to rip. EAC can rip to other formats if setup to do so but I would just use " Microsoft PCM converter" set 44.100 kHz, 16 Bit, Stereo in Compression Options . That will create a .wav file.
Rip the tracks you want into a folder. Then use ImgBurn to create a .cue
file from the .wav files in the folder . Then Write the .cue file with ImgBurn to a writeable CD -R .

Thanks so much.
ptfitzy

You simply click “File”> “save as” and save your edited file. You may want to add -edit to the new file’s name to avoid overwriting your original.

Thanks a lot.
ptfitzy

deanwitty, I am trying to remove a single “Pop” in the middle of the song. However, I am unable to get the “Manual Remover” to do it. It says the area is too large to do. I have it on a place about the width of a piece of spaghetti.
How did you do it?
Thanks, ptfitzy

After you open the file, locate the pop on the top graph and use the zoom+ button(left side below the graph next to the scroll bar) to continue zooming in to that point(use scroll bar to keep it centered). Keep zooming till you can easily left click drag/highlight just a few seconds including that pop. You can adjust the borders of the highlighted area with left-click/drag as well. Now click “tasks”> “audio cleanup” and click preview. If the pop is not gone, adjust the click removal slider and preview again. Continue adjusting till its gone. Then click OK.

Thanks a lot. I’ll give that a try.
ptfitzy

deanwitty, Reference isolating the “Pop”. I click on the bottom left that looks like a Pencil. It asks if I want to “Zoom in” and I say Yes. I Zoomed in. I am lost after that. I can’t zoom in any further. Also I can’t find “Tasks-Audio Cleanup”.
Thanks, ptfitzy

You are using the Creative Wave studio that I linked to? Doesn’t sound like it :). You can click on the little magnifying glass with the + in it to keep zooming in to milliseconds if you need. You just need to zoom in far enough to highlight a few seconds including your pop and run audio cleanup. You will see it gives you the opportunity to preview the filter effect on that segment and adjust the settings if need be.

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=206&prodID=10315&prodName=Live!%2024-bit&subCatName=Live!&CatName=Sound+Blas

Scroll down to “application” and download it?

I was using “Wave Pad Sound Editor” which was able to remove my Pops and Crackles. Apparently I must be using the wrong one to remove that one single “Pop” or scratch. They have so many different editing programs.
I’ll look for it on the site you sent.
Thanks, Phil

I believe I’m on the right one. I zoomed in and made it as short as possible with the Magnifying Glass. When I click on Manual “Click and Pop Removal” it says I need to Zoom In, even if I zoomed in as far as it would zoom. I also notice the original wave with the Vertical line. However, there is a shorter red line at the top that appears as you keep zooming in. I tried to do a manual removal, but it to said I needed to Zoom In more.
Phil

Wave Pad Sound Editor Is not from Creative .
I tried the zoom with the Creative Wave studio & it seems infinite.
Down to milliseconds. With that you should be able to edit or even try to just remove the pop. Maybe insert silence over the pop. Or adjust the volume to zero for the selected area over the pop.
I didn’t have Creative Wave studio but installed it.
I don’t have Wave Pad Sound Editor but if it did a good job of removing most of the clicks & pops & you liked the result .
Maybe it is OK too.

OOPS! I feel like an idiot. All this time I thought it was “Wave Pad”.
Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me. I will Download that and try it.
I am greatly appreciative of you and “deanwitty’s” help.

I have one more question. If you have a CD of MP3’s, can you put the CD in your Drive, drop and drag the ones you have on it and add other MP3’s from your music folder to “Burn” them on a new blank CD?
I’ve tried it on a few burning Programs and have not been able to do it. I may just be doing something wrong.

ptfitzy

I’m sorry I didn’t realize which program you were using. Glad to hear you have most of it cleaned up. If you wish to continue with WavePad, the zoom is tiny magnifying glasses on the lower right. You can select a small area including the pop and click the “zoom selection” icon. Continue to select and zoom till it allows you to perform the manual pop removal.
Try Wave studio if needed too. As cholla mentioned, you can also try deleting those few milliseconds if all else fails.

It’s not wise to try to burn a CD directly from the contents of another CD. Read slowdowns/errors can leave you with less than ideal results on your new CD. Copy the mp3s to your hard drive first.

Thanks a lot.
ptfitzy

I downloaded “Creative Wave Studio 7”. It just gives me a large gray screen. When I try to add an MP3, it opens up in a Blue Box saying it does not support that Format.