Help with removing Pops and Crackles on an MP3

vbimport

Hi Gang. I was given an MP3 which originally came from an old 45RPM.
I have been reading many of the topics on this site on removing the Pops and Crackles. I looked in the Discussions here about using “Audacity”, “Nero”, and “Wavosaur.” “Audacity” and “Wavosaur” say you can only do it in “sections”. The record is from 1968 and was just a hit in the Midwest and nowhere to be found on CD. So I thought I would try to clean it up. It’s really not that bad as far as Pops and Crackles. When people who convert their 45’s or Vinyl to MP3 using their Turntable with a program, they sound pretty good. However, I don’t have a turntable with a USB Plug. Do the programs with the turntables only clean up sections of the songs? Is it possible to use a Program that I can just burn the whole song from Start to Finish?
Thanks a lot
ptfitzy

Checked & the Audacity wiki how to says you can select the whole track.
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Click_Removal
I’m not sure how to do the settings you want. I would just create a second copy in a new folder & work with it till it sounds right .
You can always preveiw the change with Audacity & use its’ undo feature & try again.
You might also want to experiment with the High Pass or low pass filters or Noise removal .
Since it’s only one song play around with it till it sounds better.
As long as you keep an original copy & work with a second copy you can’t mess it up even if you save it to try on some other player or stereo.
You can also save the project so you can start where you left off.

Audacity [I]can[/I] work on the whole file at once. Here’s a WIKI on pop removal: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Click_Removal and here’s a post from their forums: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1869 (both found through Google).

EDIT: Good job Cholla…Beat me to the enter key!

Thank you both very much. I clicked on “Quick Reply”. However, I don’t know how to send it. I didn’t want to clog up replying to the “Thread”.
ptfitzy

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2636164] Beat me to the enter key! [/QUOTE]
Happens to me the other way all the time. I’m a slow typer.

@ ptfitzy . Looks like the "Quick Reply " posted fine . You can always use edit if it doesn’t. Good luck & let us know if you “fixed” the .mp3 .
BTW what is the song ?

The song is “Cross my Heart” by Patty and the XL’s. (1966) I went to the Audacity Link . I dropped and dragged the song into Audacity. I went to “Noise Removal”. After opening it, I did a Ctrl + A.
I then went to “Noise Removal” under “Effect” and clicked on “Noise Removal”. Up came a Noise “Removal” Box.

In the Box it has adjustments for “Noise Reduction”. In the Box there is"Sensitivity" “Frequency Smoothing”, and "Attack/Decay Time.
I fooled around adjusting each one, hoping I could at least remove the Pops and Crackles just before song starts. I am totally lost on what each one of these do. Am I doing something wrong. I would be happy at this point to remove the the Pops and Crackles just before the song starts.
If I understood Cholla, once I make any changes and get it wrong, I have to start over on another MP3 of the same song, unless I misunderstood Cholla. Any idea what would be the best settings in that “Noise Reduction” Box?
Thanks, ptfitzy

Ctrl + A is fine for selecting all.

First you need to use “Click Removal” .

No you don’t have to start over if you make a change .
What you want to do is play the song in Audacity after each change.
Or enough of it to see if the change did what you wanted.

Then if you didn’t like what the effect did you go to Edit/Undo the change.
That will put the song back to before the last change. It might undo even more than one but I don’t use it that way.

I think what you misunderstood was this;
If you get tired of messing with a song you are working on & want to start again later at the point you were at you do a File/ Save project . Then you load the project when you want to work on the song some more.

Like any audio file you work with it is always a good idea to have a backup original stored somewhere. That way if something goes wrong you have it.

So give “Click removal” a shot with the default settings . Then go from there.
You may even want to run it twice with different settings.

I would go to the high or low pass filter after that again use the default .

If it still isn’t sounding a lot better "Noise Removal " . For me it’s not my first choice some may disagree.

Thank you. I just ended up having to remove the Pops and Crackles from the beginning. I had the song just start where the music did. I was unable to eliminate the Pops and Crackles, so I made the first few seconds silent. The “Click Removal” did not help nor the “Noise Removal” work. In playing around with the Click and then the Noise Removal, the more I increased them, the songs Volume could barely be heard. Then I tried to Amplify the song thinking I eliminated the Pops and Crackles. However, the Pops and Crackles were there.

After I am done working with the song, how do I save the song I just edited those first 5 seconds?
ptfitzy

Just go to File/Export . Export as an .Mp3

[QUOTE=cholla;2636258]Just go to File/Export . Export as an .Mp3[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot.
ptfitzy

I found this song on YouTube if that would help :

You can use YouTube Downloader HD to download it as a .flv .
Use the best quality it can .
http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/

Then you can convert the .flv with Audacity to a .mp3.
That might not be a great solution but could get you a better copy.

For Audacity: There is a lot of it I haven’t used so can’t say what is best to use. There isn’t much information on the specific setting level for each effect. I just have to try & listen.

To work with just a small part with effects or to cut .
Once opened drag the tracks to full size in the Audacity window.
With View/Zoom In (Ctrl + 1) strech the tracks out a lot.
Use the enlarger as in the image below .

[QUOTE=cholla;2636321]I found this song on YouTube if that would help :

You can use YouTube Downloader HD to download it as a .flv .
Use the best quality it can .
http://www.youtubedownloaderhd.com/

Then you can convert the .flv with Audacity to a .mp3.
That might not be a great solution but could get you a better copy.

For Audacity: There is a lot of it I haven’t used so can’t say what is best to use. There isn’t much information on the specific setting level for each effect. I just have to try & listen.

To work with just a small part with effects or to cut .
Once opened drag the tracks to full size in the Audacity window.
With View/Zoom In (Ctrl + 1) strech the tracks out a lot.
Use the enlarger as in the image below .
[/QUOTE] I already converted it to an MP3. That’s why I don’t understand why it won’t Record it.

I converted the song from You Tube to an MP3. That’s why I don’t know why I can’t understand why I can’t record it .

[QUOTE=ptfitzy;2636338]I already converted it to an MP3. That’s why I don’t understand why it won’t Record it.[/QUOTE]

The conversion I was posting about was the YouTube .flv of the song.

What won’t record it ?
Are you trying to burn(write) it to a CD or DVD disc ?

I’m done with removing the Pops and Crackles. I just want the MP3 back after the changes I made.
ptfitzy

Use File / Export with Audacity to create an Audio file.
Use the Save as type & the type file you want. .mp3 or .wav .
USE “Options” to make settings for the file quality.
If Audacity won’t export a .mp3 for you then you need the LAME .mp3 encoder plugin.
I would add the FFMpeg plugin too .
If you have already done this then Export should work fine.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/FAQ:Installation_and_Plug-Ins#How_do_I_download_and_install_the_LAME_MP3_encoder.3F

Thanks. I’ll try that.
ptfitzy

It should look like this :

Now that I haven’t seen yet. How did you bring it up?

I tell ya’. I can’t even remove the Pops and Crackles at the beginning. Just 4 seconds is all I need. I tried all the things you mentioned. I don’t know how people do it. They say “Audacity” is the Best on the Internet for this.
After playing it back, the begining is so low in Volume and then it jumps up after I isolated the Pops and Crackles. You have been so patient helping me. I thought I would try wavosarus".
ptfitzy "

The one I converted from YouTube didn’t have any pops or crackles .
Audacity had no problems creating an .mp3 from the .flv. This is the EncSpot of it after the conversion:

It might be shorter or have some differences from the one you recorded from the Vinyl 45 . I don’t know.
I don’t have the time right now but maybe this weekend I can work up some images of how I would increase the volume in the the area at the beginning .
Of course that may return the pops & crackles. I can’t tell since I don’t have the exact file.