Help with old CPU upgrade

vbimport

I have a D865PERL motherboard but the revision does not support Pentium IV with L2 1 MB. My question is:
Will a Pentium IV with L2 1 MB work anyway with a loss of the 512 K or will it not work at all? Thanks for any suggestions that you may refer!

Reason I am asking is because I have found a CPU 3.4 GHz L2 1 MB cache and trying to upgrade my pc a bit from my Pentium IV 2.66 GHz L2 512 K

[QUOTE=cdfreak68;2670638]I have a D865PERL motherboard but the revision does not support Pentium IV with L2 1 MB. My question is:
Will a Pentium IV with L2 1 MB work anyway with a loss of the 512 K or will it not work at all? Thanks for any suggestions that you may refer!

Reason I am asking is because I have found a CPU 3.4 GHz L2 1 MB cache and trying to upgrade my pc a bit from my Pentium IV 2.66 GHz L2 512 K[/QUOTE]

Ok so what computer did it comes out from? And do you have its Service Tag so we can look up the full info on the computer and from that see what expansion CPU it can take? As I also noted before a search of your motherboard does gives some useful information as well beyond asking the rest to do your homework for you. But this is what I found from google search…

The Intel® Desktop Board D865PERL supports one Intel® processor in an mPGA478 socket
So you can search only line and find from the socket set which processor you can use but it sounds like your limited to Intel Pentium 4 CPU only.

Simply the manufacturer of the motherboard would be a big help…

But it sounds to me like you have a Motherboard that supports a first generation “Northwood” 400MHz Front Side Bus and you want to upgrade
into either a second generation Northwood CPU or a “prescott” family Pentium4.

And your motherboard might not support what you want to do.

What kind of memory does your computer use?

PC100?
PC133?
DDR?

I will be more specific. Old processor is 478 socket and new one is the same. My motherboard came out with some revisions that support the 3.4 GHz processor with L2 1 MB. The processor I am using is 533 but I know my motherboard supporta 800 MHz Bus. I just want to know if it will work regardless the L2 cache 1MB that the new processor will have! Here is the link for MB specs

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865perl/sb/cs-008963.htm

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D865PERL/sb/CS-026961.htm

Thanks …

I have 4 sticks of 1 GB each RAM PC3200 dual channel DDR

Ok, seems you are working with a board with an intel 865 chipset, SATA(1.5) support and support for 48Logical Bit Adress. (This allows Drives larger than the 128/137gb limit)

And the List of Supported CPUs for it:

And if your board is NOT the revision required for any of the CPUs listed I’d say
that Intel generally knows what they are talking about and that you need to choose
carefully from the list of CPUs for ones that are stated as working with your specific revision.

I have several Socket 775 boards that are “one revision short” of being able to run the CPU I have several of, a Pentium D 945 dual core 3.40MHz CPU SL9QQ, they
will support the different “stepping” SL9QB.

If you really want to upgrade I’d suggest you go shopping for a newer Motherboard that supports a C2D CPU because that would really perform compared to any single core CPU.

C2D CPU’s will easily outperform any Northwood or Prescott CPU with even a 75% higher clock speed… and by a significant margin.

L1 and L2 cache is internal part of CPU. If your board support that CPU, look at your mentioned site “CS-026961” for your board revisions, than you should have no problem.

For cache explanation look here
http://www.amecomputers.com/explanation-of-the-l1-and-l2-cache.html

So can someone suggest a Motherboard that I can use with this processor and use all the other hardware as is?

My hardware again:

Intel P4 3.4GHz 800MHz 1MB Socket-478 RK80546PG0961M

4 GB RAM DDR PC3200

AGP Graphics Card

SATA Hardrive Baracuda X 2 Raid 0 Array

PCI Soundblaster Audigy 2 Card

DVD_R or CD-R Drive

So if someone would suggest a motherboard that will support this processor and use all the above hardware, I would appreciate it. I am very pleased with this motherboard but it is killing me that I can’t use the Max CPU Capabilities even though it is written on the MB Box…later, I was informed that only certain revisions were able to support this CPU

Thanks once again!:disagree:

Check this board

I do not think you will get a new one, so you have to be sure that it is a right revision.
This is what I found.

Like AllanDeGroot suggest I would forget upgrading 478 board and get a new one with dual or quad processor. Will be much faster.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2671932]Check this board

I do not think you will get a new one, so you have to be sure that it is a right revision.
This is what I found.

Like AllanDeGroot suggest I would forget upgrading 478 board and get a new one with dual or quad processor. Will be much faster.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the fast responce! I agree on upgrading, but I will soon upgrade with a higher end PC. Just want to wait for the next months so that maybe some prices will drop. This PC I have now is very fast for its age-12 years old…but I have played hardcore games with multitasking on single thread CPU. Also have been doing some recordings with software as a musician. Not bad at all I would say. If I had hyperthreading processor probably would run faster. I could easily say that my PC out performs my boss quad core PC. I bet if I used SSD drive, I would increase my performance as well.

I noticed from the photo, that the mother board you are suggesting does not have a AGP slot. I want to use my 9800 Radeon ATI card because it rocks for its AGP architecture. Until I get to PCI express…I will stay on this for a few months more. Thanks again!

I hear what you are saying, but the age of the system says it all. Nothing wrong with it, but it is just too old to find an upgrade. I think the best bet is to find some computer surplus store where you live and see if you can get a board there.

Thanks for the help. I will try that too…

There is no sense to upgrade the processor, it is too old…

Old but strong for this board, so go on.

After trying real hard to be oblique in saying this I’ll give up and be blunt

I scrap intel motherboards that are not at least DDR2 and Socket LGA775.

For that matter when I’m done with my current tasks I’ll dig around and see if I have a MoBo and CPU combo for a late Prescott P4 (socket 775) MoBo
and if I do I’ll GIVE it to you for the cost of postage.