Help with NEC 3520A Drive

vbimport

I have two DVD RW drives - a HP dvd300i and a NEC 3520A. Both are attached to secondary IDE controller with NEC as master and HP as slave, they are also set to Ultra DMA mode 2. The 3520A was just recently purchased and installed. I get nothing but coasters when trying to back-up DVD movies. The dvd300i has never failed me once.

I am using DVDShrink to back-up DVD to hard drive, Image Tool to make iso, then DVD Decrypter to burn. Decrypter completes after burning with 3520A and says it was burned successfully, however, there is disc reading error when I put in DVD player? I have used two different brands of media with same end results - Philips and Memorex(DVD+R). My dvd300i has never made a coaster out of either one and always plays in all three of my DVD players.

When burning with Decrypter with Philips (2.4X DVD+R), the dvice buffer periodically falls to 0% and then hikes back up to 96%. When burning with Memorex (8X DVD+R), both buffers are all over the place, falling and picking back up. With the dvd300i, Decrypter buffers stay at 100% and everything is smooth.

I have also noticed that my drive does not read or burn as spec’d when using Decrypter. The 8X media will only burn at 4X.

Using Decrypter version 3.5.2.0 and DVD Shrink version 3.2.0.15.

What’s up? POS drive? Should I be using different software? Should I be doing a different method.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think your HP burns the +R media bitsetted to -ROM and your 3520 actually not.
That’s why your standalone probably has these problems.

www.videohelp.com

When burning with Decrypter with Philips (2.4X DVD+R), the dvice buffer periodically falls to 0% and then hikes back up to 96%. When burning with Memorex (8X DVD+R), both buffers are all over the place, falling and picking back up. With the dvd300i, Decrypter buffers stay at 100% and everything is smooth.

That’s normal for the NEC 3520.Mine does the same thing and my results are fine.chef is probably correct in saying that your 3520 movies don’t play cause the 3520 firmware doesn’t bitset.Go here and see that your HP bitsets and therefore your discs are more compatible with your dvd players.Notice also your HP is just a rebadged Philips or NEC drive :slight_smile: .
Keep looking through the NEC forum,you’ll find lots of answers there also.

DeeBo,

Maybe it is a firmware problem with your 3520A?

I had lots of CD/DVD burn problems when using original drive firmware 1.04 dated 24/11/2004.

Currently using firmware 1.25 because it is based on latest NEC v1.04 firmware and always bitsets DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R DL disc types to DVD-ROM.

Maybe flashing your 3520A drive with version 1.25 firmware will resolve your problem?

And if interested, get all you need from here,

http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/

Edit to my last post,

Just found out a little while ago that even with firmware 1.25, a NEC3520A can’t bitset a Phillips 4x DVD+RW type to DVD-ROM.

almost everyone with the 3520 can’t bitset an +RW disc so your not alone with that.

Thanks everyone for the help. The 1.25 firmware did the trick, no coasters since. I’m also burning a single layer DVD in less than 7 mins with 16X verbatim - AWESOME!!

The ripping speed could be better. Instead of using firmware with Riplock removed me thinks I will purchase a decent DVD-ROM.

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Yo DeeBo-

Take a strong look at the Aopen 1648/aap DVD-ROM drive-

Very fast and good error reading ability-

Can get for $36 shipped from www.ajump.com

Mike

Yo BigMike,

I might have to do that. I see an entire thread is open on that DVD-ROM. Thanks for the info bud.

Question. How familiar are you with DVD Shrink, Image Tool, & Decrypter? If I buy a DVD-ROM, is it possible for me to stick a movie in that device and rip/encode with Shrink, create iso with Image Tool, then burn iso with Decrypter with one click? If I hit back-up in Decrypter is there a way to autmatically open Image Tool when it is done ripping? Image Tool already opens Decrypter to burn so that half is done. I want to hit back-up in Shrink and wait for the Decrypter music!!

I use Dvd Decrypter for ISO’n copied or single sided discs(less than 4.7 gb).You can only burn an image with dvd decrypter when you create an image with dvd decrypter.It has an extra file with ISO file called .mds and this is needed in Decrypter.You can do all those things you mentioned except rip the image from image tool with dvd decrypter.I’m not 100% sure about IMG Tool but bigmike might know.

Check www.coujo.de for info about ImgTool(Burn).