Help with MBIPG101 R04

vbimport

I need some help please. I have bought a 25 pack Imation DVD+R 8x and I’m having problems with this media. I burned 4 discs with different burners and any of them can do a good burn. Is this media bad? Is there a way that I can do a decent burn? Please help me. Thanks.

I have attached the scans : 1º BenQ DW-1620 @ 8x, 2º Pioneer DVR-112 @ 4x, 3º LG GSA-H62N @ 4x, 4º LiteOn LH-20A1H @ 4x.

Two words:

High jitter. :Z

[QUOTE=RJL65;2022779]Two words:

High jitter. :Z[/QUOTE]

Yes, I feel like I wasted money here :(.

As an update to this, I have burned with the Samsung SH-W162D at 4x.

Scanned with LiteOn at 8x :

Scanned with BenQ at 8x :

My question here is why the scans are so different between the LiteOn and the BenQ? Is this disc good or bad? Someone knows? Thanks. :slight_smile:

Care to scan the other discs with LiteOn, too? :flower:

BenQ drives don’t like discs with high jitter. :disagree: It affects their scanning a bit: as the jitter gets higher, the errors get a bit…exaggerated compared to other drives.

Yes, and I’m not so sure that BenQ 1620 is in good shape either.

This stuff usually burns pretty well for me (Imation and TDK branded)…I burn and scan on different drives, though.

I too would hazard a guess that it’s the jitter making a difference with the BenQ’s scans (I tend to scan with LiteOn, though I own BenQ drives as well).

[QUOTE=Albert;2023122]BenQ drives don’t like discs with high jitter. :disagree: It affects their scanning a bit: as the jitter gets higher, the errors get a bit…exaggerated compared to other drives.[/QUOTE]Nevertheless, a really good burn/disc will scan OK in all usual scanning drives, despite obvious and expected discrepancies, just like a pressed disc does.

If it scans bad in any of the usual scanning drives, its is very likely that something’s off with the burn.

I’ve had mixed experiences with Imation MBIPG101 R04. Very variable in quality from batch to batch: I’ve had great blanks and downright awful ones.

A FE/TE scan of one of these blanks would probably show that these discs have poor preformance near the outer edge. Manufacturing quality issue.

Do you have scans of different media to contrast? Some scanners simply give higher jitter results. Some media refuses to scan well on my BenQs regardless of burner and speed but does ok on TRTs. Perhaps something to do with reflectivity? It does appear the jitter is high though, which may be the whole problem.

[QUOTE=chaosoffar2k;2023143]Do you have scans of different media to contrast? Some scanners simply give higher jitter results. Some media refuses to scan well on my BenQs regardless of burner and speed but does ok on TRTs. Perhaps something to do with reflectivity? It does appear the jitter is high though, which may be the whole problem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all your feedback :). I have scanned different media, burned some days ago with GSA-H62N at 8x. The disc is Imation DVD-R 16x.

Scanned with LiteON :

Scanned with BenQ :

[quote=Francksoy;2023140]Nevertheless, a really good burn/disc will scan OK in all usual scanning drives, despite obvious and expected discrepancies, just like a pressed disc does.

If it scans bad in any of the usual scanning drives, its is very likely that something’s off with the burn.

I’ve had mixed experiences with Imation MBIPG101 R04. Very variable in quality from batch to batch: I’ve had great blanks and downright awful ones.

A FE/TE scan of one of these blanks would probably show that these discs have poor preformance near the outer edge. Manufacturing quality issue.[/quote]
I agree. :iagree:[quote=juancdg;2023171]Thanks for all your feedback:). I have scanned different media, burned some days ago with GSA-H62N at 8x. The disc is Imation DVD-R 16x.

Scanned with LiteON :

Scanned with BenQ :

[/quote]Yeah, I’d say your 8x +R isn’t quite up to snuff. The 16x -R isn’t so hot, either, but that’s workable. It looks like it’s a combination of the lower quality +R with the scanning on the BenQ that gives you some bad results. Based on that, I wouldn’t trust these +R for much of anything outside of the occasional day-to-day stuff. High jitter like that of the +R can cause some playback issues [like the BenQ shows in its scans].

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2023140]
A FE/TE scan of one of these blanks would probably show that these discs have poor preformance near the outer edge. Manufacturing quality issue.[/QUOTE]

What is a FE/TE scan?

Well, I found on the web that the BenQ is capable of doing FE/TE scan, but I don’t know if this scan is OK or not (referring to settings). First time that I run this test. And the results are good or bad?

[quote=juancdg;2023255]What is a FE/TE scan?[/quote] Have a look here:

Tracking Error (TE) and Focus Error (FE) testing

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2023315]Have a look here:

Tracking Error (TE) and Focus Error (FE) testing[/QUOTE]

Thanks Drage, but I have another question : Should I run the TE/FE test in Normal, Full, Quick, Smart or Customize sample rate?

Also the speed, which could be the best for the testing?

[QUOTE=juancdg;2023388]Thanks Drage, but I have another question : Should I run the TE/FE test in Normal, Full, Quick, Smart or Customize sample rate?[/quote]Since high resolution in FE/TE scans has not much interest, and “quick” wouldn’t catch possible (but not frequent) issues near the beginning of the disc, “normal” is best for most purposes. :slight_smile:

Also the speed, which could be the best for the testing?
That’s the whole point. You test a disc at its claimed rated speed first. If FE or TE is out-of-specs, it’s better (but not mandatory in all cases, depends on a lot of factors…) to burn it at slower speeds. If even one notch down in speed (example: 16X => 12X) still gives out-of-specs FE or TE, then it can be an indication that the media is of questionable quality.

But FE/TE tests, just like PIE/PIF/jitter tests, can’t give you a definitive judgement on the media quality on their own. Several types of tests are always better to judge of media quality, starting with the only test that will tell you if the (burnt) disc is actually fully and easily readable, a transfer rate test. :wink:

In the case of your discs, I was interested in FE/TE tests since my bad batches of Imation-branded R04’s always showed poor TE near the end… just like yours! Though the good batches showed pretty good FE/TE figures.

I agree with [B]Francksoy[/B]; thanks for saying everything I could possibly have said about FE/TE and saving me the trouble of typing it all out! :smiley:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2023419]I agree with [B]Francksoy[/B]; thanks for saying everything I could possibly have said about FE/TE and saving me the trouble of typing it all out! :D[/QUOTE]Well, since I’m responsible for having raised the point of FE/TE in the first place in this thread, I felt compelled to take the time to reply to these questions myself and save some of your own time… :wink:

It seems that I got a bad batch of MBIPG101 R04 :sad:. So from this tests that I’ve done, which could be the limit that I should burn to get a good burn?