Help with long file namming

I use Nero as a burner first of all and am unsure what the settings should be. Help there would be appreciated.

I have 2 immediate file namming problems where I burned data cd’s with audio files within Artists/Album folders. After copying back to disc from cd I have one file listed as type <File> rather than its origional media type which is Winamp Media. The file is also about 3 letters short <nz)> in the file name (it was renamed by Nero). Here’s the origional file name <The Hollies - 20 Years - 08 - Blowin In The Wind (Live from Mainz)> Along with help you can give on settings, is there a way to recover this file? I can’t play it with Winamp even though it will load or open and decompress it with Monkey’s Audio (its an APE file).

The other situation is I zipped an album because of the long names guessing I might be able to overcome long file name problems. When expanded one file wouldn’t expand because the file name exceeded the limits of the OS. This is the file <Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions - The Anthology 1961-1977 (Disc 2) - 06 - (Don’t Worry) If There’s A Hell Below, We’re All Going To Go(BT) This was in an Artists folder named <Curtis Mayfield Anth 2> with the Album folder as stated above in the file name. If you can clue me in here also, I’d appreciate it

Despite being long filenames , both the CD format and the Operating System have their limitations indeed. There is no practical solution for this as far as i know.

Why not work with ID3 tags ?

To unzip the file with the long file name , use winzip to rename the file internally in the zip file (or some hex editor if winzip won’t do it).

I have been having the same long file name probs.

Had to Zip all the long names files & then burn it.

Long file names are exactly the reason I use Prassi PrimoDVD to burn those MP3’s. Long file names also develop when saving web pages using Internet Explorer or other web browser software.

Prassi PrimoDVD is now owned by Veritas Software but is sold only through 3rd parties. The most commonly known 3rd party is Stomp, Inc. It is now sold under the name: RecordNOW Max.

See it at: http://www.stompinc.com/recordnow

Nice thing about this software is that it will allow the writing of file names up to 212 characters. That will usually be enough to manage those MP3 names like the one you give as an example. (Maybe it goes beyond 212 characters? I’ve never counted. All I know is that it never truncates file names for my MP3’s and/or web pages.)

RecordNOW is the only software I know of that will write 212 character names using conventional software mastering techniques. I think that Gear and CDMate will go up to 128 characters.

One other option for long MP3 file names is to packet write the disc. As you know, “packet writing” is also known as Universal Data Format (UDF).

When I packet write my discs, the long file names are retained on the disc. Once again, I’ve never counted the file name character length. All I know is that if Windows can retain and display the name, the name is kept intact when I packet write it to a disc.

Some packet writers are Nero InCD, VOB InstantWrite, Roxio DirectCD, and RecordNOW Drive Letter Access (DLA). I think Gear Software has one as well.

Not all packet writers will do packets on CDR. Some are limited to only CDRW. I know that Nero will only packet write to CDRW. Nero will not packet write to CDR.

VOB InstantWrite will write packets to CDR. This I know for a fact because that’s what I use. I also think that Roxio DirectCD will packet write to CDR. I’m not sure about Roxio, because I don’t have the software. Maybe someone will clarify for us.

The medium is important because some players won’t do well with eraseable rewriteables (CDRW), but, those same players will do well with the write-once recordables (CDR).

Many MP3 players can handle packet written disks. I have a very inexpensive personal music player by Memorex that cost only $50 U.S. and that inexpensive player has no trouble at all with packet written discs. I do not have to place an ISO9660 bridge on the disc. The Memorex player can handle the CDR even if there is only the UDF packets on there. So, I believe that the cost of the player will have no bearing on its ability to handle packet writes.

I find packet written discs are useful for more than just the long file names. Packet writes to disc let you store more on a disc, providing that your software will utilize variable length packets. I think these variable length packets are what VOB InstantWrite uses for CDR. Formatting a CDR only takes about 30 seconds. You don’t have to go through that lengthy format time like you would with CDRW. I think it does the fast formatting because it only has to reserve space for an appendable Table Of Contents (TOC). It doesn’t have to set up packet “slots” all over the disc for erasures and such as you would do with CDRW.

If you write multi-session to a disc, I think it eats up about 16 MegaBytes each session.

If you packet write to a CDRW, the software eats up about 100MB to develop a file system that allows erasures. But, I seldom erase stuff from a disk.

Packet writing to a CDR, on the other hand, will use only about 800 KiloBytes to hold in reserve just in case you want to close the disk with an ISO9660 table of contents.

So, using VOB InstantWrite on CDR’s, I am able to keep the long file names, minimize lost disc space to the file system, add to the disc any time without launching a disc mastering software package, and my personal (portable) MP3 player has no trouble reading the disc (although it displays song information from the ID3 tags.)

Hope this helps. I know that I yearn for long file name capabilities in all my software. I wish Nero would relax the restrictions on file name length. Truncation of file names is one reason I often have to look elsewhere besides Nero.

vj2k

Good information.

Thanks, videojockey2002. :slight_smile:

@videojockey2002

You are right. I had no such problem when I was using Record Now which was bundled with my old HP 8x4x32x burner.

Just wanted to know, I was just seeing the option available under CDMate, there is an option for the file system Romeo .

Has anyone tried burning long file names with this. Romeo is specifically developed for Win95/NT & later so it may address the issue of long file names.

Romeo FS allows longer filenames than Joilet.

RecordNOW MAX is best as it allows 212 chars long file names. I tried it.

Why doesn’t Nero or EZCD support 212 chars file names ???

How can I select burning speeds in RecordNOW MAX.

I can only select MAX, MID, MIN ???

How to enable Buffer Underrun Support ???

How to enable SmartBURN ???

To darshanjog

How can I select burning speeds in RecordNOW MAX.

I can only select MAX, MID, MIN ???

How to enable Buffer Underrun Support ???

How to enable SmartBURN ???

The problem is that RecordNOW Max does not yet support your LTR-48125W. I have the same recorder.

The Prassi Engine Update released periodically by Veritas will eventually incorporate support for your recorder and mine (I hope).

Here’s where to get the update:

You just download the file and then run it. It may require a reboot. It will add new recorders to your RecordNOW software.

The latest update is:

Release date: October 16, 2002
Version: 1.1.358

This latest update does not contain support for our LiteOn LTR-48125W drives. We will have to wait and hope that the next update includes support for our recorder.

There are methods available to flash our recorders so they are recognized as a different model. This is done using MTKFlash (MediaTek Flash).

Some people are able to flash program their drives to something else that is supported by the presently available Prassi engine.

The Prassi engine will support the 40125S drive. But, our drives are “W.” The Prassi engine does not support the 40125W drive as far as I can tell.

The “S” and the “W” represent different flash ROM chips used in LiteON drives. Our “W” drives are WinBond brand flash chips. I forget what the “S” stands for, but, I know it is a flash chip of a different brand.

The “5” in our model number represents a version of the MediaTek chipset controller in the drive.

If we could temporarily flash program our LTR-48125W drive to be recognized as a LTR-40125S drive, we could immediately enjoy support in the Prassi Engine of RecordNOW.

However, I am not sure that this will work because of the different brands of Flash ROM chips represented by the “S” and the “W.”

What does all of this mean? Well, for one, it means that if you fail during the flash, your recorder is wasted unless you can re-flash successfully.

It also means that you void your warranty if you get caught flashing the drive to some other firmware than that which is officially released by LiteOn.

But, the main thing that concerns me is: I’m not sure we can flash a “W” drive with “S” firmware because “W” and “S” represent different brands of Flash ROM.

But, maybe it is okay to do so. Someone will help us out here, I’ll bet.

Or …

… we can just wait a little longer for the Prassi Engine to include support for our LTR-48125W drives. That’s what I’m going to do.

vj2k

By the way, as far as I know:

Joliet = 65 character file names

Romeo = 128 character file names

-vj2k

@videojockey2002

This is strange. I have already burnt 4 CD-Rs using Stomp RecordNOW MAX 4.10.

It recognised my burner without any problem.

I burnt the above mentioned CD-Rs selecting the MAX option so, i don’t know the exact speed of the burn process.

It took approx. 3 mins to burn 500 MB data.

To: darshanjog

This is strange. I have already burnt 4 CD-Rs using Stomp RecordNOW MAX 4.10.

Yes. It will burn. Mine does, too. But, as you said, you cannot select specific speeds. You can only select max, med, and min.

Also note that if you choose the “record and verify” function, you will see that the software will return an error shortly after it begins to read the disc. The error will probably say, “unreadable sector 16” or something similar to that. So, when it attempts to verify its own burn, it finds a corrupt disc.

Also note that if you use another software program to verify the burn, it will be reported as a corrupt disc.

All of these problems probably stem from the fact that the LTR-48125W is not fully supported.

Some sort of burn is accomplished, however, just as you have said. And, when you try to read the disc in Windows, it will read quickly and it will appear to be okay.

However, if you will try to burn several different sessions to the same disc, you will encounter a failure and probably encounter a refusal by the software to write to the disc.

Therefore, I do not find it to be reliable at this point in time. Just because we can read the file directories in Windows does not mean that it was “a good burn.” There could be an untold million bad bytes on that disc. If a bunch of “bad bytes” fall in the right places, it’s just a coaster.

vj2k

Veritas has temporarily removed the latest PX Engine Update from their site. Perhaps, and hopefully, they have realized that they skipped support for the Lite-on LTR-48125W in their version 358 update.

Oddly enough, the later release Lite-on model LTR-48246S was supported in that release, but not the LTR-48125W. :confused: It appears that they erred in this omission, and hopefully may be in the process of correcting it.

Until they fix it, if a LTR-48125W is flashed to a LTR-40125S, it will work and be fully supported. :wink:

To: Inertia

Thanks for the information.

I noticed the PxEngine update was pulled temporarily. To tell you the truth, I don’t expect support for the LTR-48125W to be in the next update.

I do expect to see support for the new Sony DVD burner that will do both +R and -R media. I think the model number is DRU500 or something like that.

I’ve heard some complaints because RecordNOW is bundled with the new Sony drive but the drive is not supported in the “Max” version of the software.

So, it may be that once the PxEngine is re-posted, we might find that the only new drive supported is the Sony DVD burner.

Thank you for the “W” to “S” flash information. Nice to know the firmware is interchangeable. I’ve got MTKFlash and all that stuff.

In the past, the Prassi engine has been updated only once every 2 to 3 months. So, if it looks like it will be another 3 months waiting for an update, I’ll surely “dumb down” my LiteON temporarily so I can use the Prassi software.

-vj2k

Thanks for the info videojockey2002 & Inertia.

However, the disks burnt by me have only little yellow sectors & looks fine to me.

What do you suggest ??? I have burnt very important data on it because my file names are long than Joilet & Romeo.

darshanjog,

If the disc passes the CD Speed CD Quality Test and ScanDisc with few yellow sectors and can be read in other CDR devices, I wouldn’t worry about it. To be on the safe side, maybe you shouldn’t burn any multisession discs to avoid problems reported by videojockey2002. Personally, I never burn multisession discs anyway and would use packet writing for incremental burns.

videojockey2002,

Since darshanjog doesn’t seem to have experienced the problems you mentioned, are you sure that the media you used could not be responsible for the disc corruption? This may be even more likely if SmartBurn is not yet supported and the disc is burned at a speed that can’t be handled by the media without corruption.

To: Inertia

are you sure that the media you used could not be responsible for the disc corruption? This may be even more likely if SmartBurn is not yet supported and the disc is burned at a speed that can’t be handled by the media without corruption.

Don’t know what speed I’m burning because the LTR-48125W is not recognized. The only speed choices available are min-med-max.

Media I’ve tried:

Verbatim 48X Super-AZO DataLife Plus 80min
Fujifilm 24X Cyanine 80min
Sony (Taiyo Yuden) 24X 80min

Tried at least one of each and error was returned during each verification run of the Prassi software.

Since I don’t have speed choices in the Prassi interface, I tried the “min” setting with a Verbatim 48X disc. Same error.

Maybe the burn is okay even though it stumbles in its own verification routine. But, it’s not worth the risk. My Sony SCSI 10X burner works fine in Prassi, so, I’ll just hang on to that for awhile.

-vj2k

@Inertia

RecordNOW software does create errors when adding another session to a multi-session disk.

It happened on my old HP 8x4x32x burner. But, i suspect the burner more than the software.

For being on safe side, i have burnt 2 copies of multi-session disks. I have also stored the data on the HDD.

I think SmartBurn is used by RecordNOW max. I think this way because while erasing a CD-RW it showed the burning speed = 12x. RW media i was using was 4x-10x but, its smartburn limit is 12x.

So it must be using SmartBurn.

Still no new LiteOn drives in latest RecordNow release !!!

Looked at version 4.5 of RecordNow. Promised for release on November 08. 2002 I have just found it today (November 11, 2002).

The 4.5 release has no new LiteOn burner support.

Stomp, Inc had rather indicated that the main thrust of the 4.5 update was to provide support for the Sony DRU500 DVD burner. Apparently, the burner contained RecordNow in a bundle, but, RecordNow MAX did not support the drive.

I don’t have a Sony DRU500 and I didn’t bother searching through px.dll for that model.

I did search for new LiteOn models, and there is nothing new. Most of the recent drives are totally unsupported.

So … it’s about 3 months since I got this LTR-48125W, and I’m still waiting for the drive to be supported in RecordNow and Prassi PrimoDVD.

I’m very close to a breakdown and I’m probably going to flash this LTR-48125W to LTR-40125S (because the LTR-40125S is supported). But, I know my luck. As soon as I go to all that hassle, the PxEngine update that I need will be available on the web.

–vj2k