Help with LiteOn/Verbatim

vbimport

I use the Verbatim DataLifePlus CDR 80 16x (Metal AZO) CD-R:

Lite-On Info:
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Cyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 34s 21f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Verbatim(Metal AZO)
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 24X

I used to burn these discs on an HP7100i writer at 2x... data files and audio. And I would be able to read the resulting burned CD on the writer itself, my CD-ROM (Panasonic 24x CR585 from 1997), and my car audio Alpine 6-disc CD changer (for audio burns only, and also from 1997) with no problems at all.

I recently picked up a LiteOn 32123s CD-Writer. Using the same exact CD-R from the same batch (a single from a 10-pack), and burning data files and audio at 16x, I am unable to read the resulting burned disc in my CD-ROM and Alpine changer. In Windows Explorer, the drive is recognized as "empty." And in my Alpine CD changer, I can switch between the #of tracks (and it lists the right amount of audio tracks), but the discs do not play at all. However, I am still able to view the entire contents of all burned discs in the Lite-On writer.

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not my new LiteOn writer is defective (given that the media is the same and has worked previously), or if there is something I can do to fix the problem?
Please help!!! :slight_smile:

Additional "observations": Using a Sony 32x CDR CDQ80N3:

Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Cyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 24s 12f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = SONY(32X)
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 32X

I cannot read the resulting burn (audio and data) on my CD-ROM. I can, however, read audio burns in my changer. AND, it's interesting to note that this Sony disc burned with data files is read by my old HP Writer as an Audio CD rather than the correct Data CD.

My opinion on Verbatim is they are not the best discs…

But anyway:

They work bad with both data and audio?
Have you updated to fimware XS0X for the Lite-On?
Are you using Nero to write? If so are you writing in Disc-At-Once/96 mode? Try to switch to Disc-At-Once and it may be worth upgrading your nero version if you do not have the latest version.

As for the Sony discs:

I have the same discs here as I grabbed some from work where we use Sony discs.

I’m also getting varying results with these discs, some is ok while others is not readable.

I think most AZO/Cyanine discs is not good for high speed recording and for use with newer writers.

Thanks for your reply OC-Freak! You have some good questions…

Answers:

Yes, they work bad with both data and audio (again, they are readable only in my writer).

Yes, I am using the latest firmware XS0X.

Yes, I am using Nero. I’ve been using Disc-At-Once (not Disc-At-Once/96). I’m curious as to what the difference is between Disc-At-Once and Disc-At-Once/96?

You may be correct about AZO/Cyanine discs being not good for high speed recording and for use with newer writers. I’ve used them before because they were the most trouble free for me (with my old HP 7100). And also because scanning through this forum and others, the Verbatim Data Life Plus has good responses (including a thread in this forum that asked specifically about good media for the LiteOn 32123s).

But I just tried buring a data file at 8x speed (previously, my lowest speed was 16x). Now this data disc is readable in my old Panasonic CR585 CD-ROM. So you may be right about Verbatims.

I’ll wait for your response regarding DAO/96 and I’ll try again. Sheesh, these “tests” are getting expensive (each “useless” disc is adding up)! :smiley:

@OC-Freak:

Don’t mix up Verbatim DataLife (CMC-shit or Multimedia Masters) and DataLifePlus (Mitsubishi Chemicals)!

Mitsubishi are good discs. Only watch that you don’t get “made in india”, some of these are crap, too.
Use “made in ireland”-discs.

Also note that Mitsubishi 24x are not compatible to many older writers.

I have some Mitsubishi 16x on my own, and they work fine up to 16x. LiteOn allows to write them @24x, but they have c2 errors then.

DAO/96 allows to write all subchannel data. Quite senseless if you do not want to backup a protected cd.

go slower than the cdr claims it can go. like 8xspeed for example. fuckwits at this forum say that verbatims cant handle speeds like 40x. if the cdr says it can only handle 16 speed than dont go over that! I dont know why people burn at such high speeds and wonder why it doesnt work!:a

i burn at my minmum speed of 4x and occasionally 8x and the only trouble that ive ever had resulted from burning way to high.
Slower burning makes a cdr with less errors and more readablility. I challenge anyone to oppose that thoery and back it up.:cool:

Hi god of burning:

I have not surpassed the CD’s max burn specs (in this case, the Verbatim DataLifePlus Metal Azo 16x) when I described the problems above. But you may (as opposed to are) indeed be correct in that this particular media may work better at lower rated speeds (as per my second post)… although I have a problem with that as I don’t feel a product should advertise something (ie. 16x) which it can’t do all the time.

On another note, I did notice your challenge… however, you yourself have stated a “theory” (ie. “slower burning makes a cdr with less errors and more readability”), and not backed it up. Could you please back up your claim?

Hi alexnoe:

I don’t think that OC-Freak mixed up Verbatim DataLife and Verbatim DataLifePLUS (which I used). I did enclose the ATIP information so as not to be confused.

You do point out something interesting: place of manufacture. Mine in particular are Made in Taiwan. I’ve looked around, and I cannot find any Made in Ireland ones by Verbatim.

Thanks for the DAO/96 info!

burning slower does make a better result, its a known fact. i am not sure how i can proove it but ill give you my word!

ive never had a problem burning slower with my 20x ricoh and thats enough proof for me:)

I have Verbatim datalifeplus(no I did NOT mix them up with Datalife/valulife) from Ireland, Taiwan(most of those I have), and singapore.

I have discs from 8X up to 24X. Wait for my upcoming 40X Lite-On review…wondering if phthalocyanine discs or AZO/Cyanine will be best. Hmmmmm…:wink:

god of burning said:

“go slower than the cdr claims it can go. like 8xspeed for example. fuckwits at this forum say that verbatims cant handle speeds like 40x. if the cdr says it can only handle 16 speed than dont go over that! I dont know why people burn at such high speeds and wonder why it doesnt work!”

Depends on your writer really. The Lite-on LTR-24102B seems to be optimised for burning at maximum speed and isn’t picky about media. My experience (and that of many others) with that Litey is that you get the best results either burning at minimum speed (8x) (for audio) or at maximum (24x) (for data or game cds) and it makes precious little difference what speed the media is rated for.

In fact, the only occasions that I’ve had unsatifactory results (usually choppy video or sound) is when I’ve burnt at an intermediate speed (e.g. 12x or 16x) because that was the rated max speed of the cdr. On the other hand, burning 12x or 16x rated media at 24x has never produced an unsatisfactory result for me.