Help with I/O Magic burner speeds

I have an I/O Magic burner, which comes up as a GENERIC DVD DUAL 4XMAX, which I’m told means it’s been rebadged or something similar.

I use Nero Burning Rom to make my DVDs. When using it, I’ve only rarely been able to get the 4x speed, and generally get 2x instead. However, there is one type of media that I was able to get the 4x speed with. It has a manufacturer ID of RICOHJPN R01 (Imitation 4x).

I was told to update my firmware (version 2.60 from I/O Magic which is identical to another manufacturer’s 2.60 firmware version that I was linked to (Possibly Optowrite? I was told that was the original drive manufacturer) to solve this problem and it seemingly worked for my Maxell DVD-R 8x (I no longer have a blank disc of this type and Nero Info Tool doesn’t seem to provide info on burned discs), in that I could also achieve 8x speed with them.

However, for some reason I’m unsure of (it only happened after a reboot, which doesn’t seem logical to me), I was no longer able to burn those discs at the 4x speed. Nor am I able to burn my Imitation (RICOHJPN R01) discs at 4x speed (Now I can only achieve 2.4x, despite it claiming it will burn at 4x). I also have quite a few Maxell DVD+R 8x discs (MBIPG101 R04) which will only burn at 2.4x.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this so that I may burn at 4x?

I apologise if this is in the wrong forum or if I have offered too little information.

Just to check, this is that drive you’re posting about? When you flashed your firmware, did you flash to 2.60I or 2.60E (you should use “I”).

it seemingly worked for my Maxell DVD-R 8x, in that I could also achieve 8x speed with them.

That shouldn’t have happened. :confused:

However, for some reason I’m unsure of (it only happened after a reboot, which doesn’t seem logical to me), I was no longer able to burn those discs at the 4x speed. Nor am I able to burn my Imitation (RICOHJPN R01) discs at 4x speed (Now I can only achieve 2.4x, despite it claiming it will burn at 4x). I also have quite a few Maxell DVD+R 8x discs (MBIPG101 R04) which will only burn at 2.4x.

Download the latest version 4 of Nero CD DVD Speed. Pop in a disc and go to the Disc Info tab. What available speeds are reported for the disc that you inserted?

Yes, the link you provided is the same drive i have…the firmware they have linked is a version I saved on my computer before installing it. I do have the I version.

That shouldn’t have happened.

You are correct…I for some reason typed that I could achieve 8x speed when only 4 was available. I did, however, definitely achieve that, as discs took around 15 minutes :slight_smile:

Download the latest version 4 of Nero CD DVD Speed. Pop in a disc and go to the Disc Info tab. What available speeds are reported for the disc that you inserted?

For the Maxell 8x DVD+R I mentioned in my prior post, I have listed 2.4x-1x as write speeds.

For the Imitation disc I mentioned in my prior post, I have 4x listed in addition to 2.4x and 1x

I no longer have the Maxell DVD-R discs to test upon, as the ones I’ve written don’t appear to give that information (understandably so)