Help with hardware for simultaneous rips

vbimport

I’m adding 4 lite-on drives to my computer, so I can rip 4 dvd’s at once. I’ve tried:

1. Dual channel promise fastrak 133 tx2. Rips at full speed if one dvd-rom attached to the card. Chokes with two attached to the card.
  2. Syaba (si114 based) 4 port sata card (coupled with si112 based sata-pata converter). Same as 1.
  3. On board (si112 based) dual-channel sata raid controller. Same as 1, but ALSO chokes if one dvd rom and disk drive attached.

So far, I’ve gotten it to work by using one ide channel on my motherboard, one fastrack card, one 4 port card sata card (with my two sata disks as well as one dvd-rom), and one port of my on-board sata .

Is there anyone out there with a more elegant solution?

The only way I have been able to get full speed rips simultaniously was by ripping to seperate hard drives. I have had three at a time reach 14X with one on IDE on board, and the other two on firewire and USB2. It has to be to three seperate HDs though.

i’ve ripped to a single drive (granted it was 2x74GB raptors in RAID-0) from two PX-716As (one on each motherboard Via IDE channel as sole masters)…

http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21313

i don’t think you could rip 4 discs simulataneously to a single HDD at full speed though…unless maybe it was a RAIDed 15k SCSI array or something…

Just wondering…
What drive model is connected to this one and what firmware version does the TX2 work with??

Promise cards do not support optical drives under any circumstances.

But you can use it for HD’s well enough. Bottom line is that your PCI bus will not support the bandwidth needed for 4 rips at anything more than a snails pace. At the least you would need each ripping drive on it’s own IDE channel, and each receiving HD on it’s own IDE channel. That’s 8 IDE channels needed, but even so your bus bandwidth is not adequate. The best you can hope for is 2 rips using 4 channels. Consult the IDE controller thread for what controllers will work with optical drives.

Thank you all for your replies.

The only way I have been able to get full speed rips simultaneously was by ripping to seperate hard drives.
don’t think you could rip 4 discs simultaneously to a single HDD at full speed though…unless maybe it was a RAIDed 15k SCSI array or something…
Yes, that’s been my experience as well. Ripping even two DVD’s to a single drive sends my poor drive into thrashing heaven. So I intend to rip my four DVD’s to four separate drives, and make sense of my directory structure with ntfs junction points.

What drive model is connected to this one and what firmware version does the TX2 work with??
A lite-on 169ps. Using stock firmware on both.

Promise cards do not support optical drives under any circumstances.
It works for ripping when using single channel on the controller card. Doesn’t work with two channels, but neither does by syaba sata card. Is there an IDE card that can handle TWO dvd drives?

Bottom line is that your PCI bus will not support the bandwidth needed for 4 rips at anything more than a snails pace
It’s not as bad as you would think. A single 7.92 gb rip takes 17 minutes by itself (average 6.34x, top speed 8.44x). With four rips (of similar length) going to four separate drives its takes 19 minutes. This is with two hdd drives on a separate sata controller (shared with one dvd-rom drive), two hdd drives sharing a single ide ata/100 controller. This is all with stock liteon firmware. Hacked firmware tests come later, but I DO have a lot of used dvd’s.

and each receiving HD on it’s own IDE channel
That’s what I intend with 4 separate esata drives. But my poor case ( a lian-li 2100) can’t really take the heat. So I’ve run my tests with my current setup of 2 Seagate sata drives and two Seagate ide drives

I’ll have an 8 port sonnet esata card and external rack soon to go with my 4 Hitachi 500gb sata drives, so I will report back.

Consult the IDE controller thread for what controllers will work with optical drives
Thanks, I did. I read every post. But it seems geared to burners. I’m trying to run 4 readers.

Again, appreciate all the responses. Please keep them coming. And tell me if you’re interested in my further tests

Thanks for the info. Time for me to test it with my 167 and my Promise controllers now…

I’m using onboard SATA controllers for my hard drives and the onboard PATA controllers for my ODD in my two computers. These are nForce3 boards. I don’t get full-speed with four ODD ripping at once (obviously) but it ain’t bad at all. One comp rips to a WD Raptor 74g and the other to a 160g Seagate RAID0 array. Less than 20 minutes for 4 clean DVD-9 discs with the Raptor. When I need them, they perform. I really have all these drives in the machines since they’d just be laying around otherwise. All running latest no rip-lock f/w.

Comp1 (Seagate array):
PM: Lite-On 167
PS: Lite-On CDRW
SM: Lite-On 169
SS: Pioneer 108

Comp2 (Raptor):
PM: Pioneer DVD-120
PS: LG 8163
SM: Lite-On 166
SS: Pioneer 106

A good PS is essential. I use a Seasonic Super Tornado 350w in each machine for reliability, actual power rating, and near silence.

-Evan-

I just quickly tried two sil 680 based ide cards in place of my promise card (the siig and the sayba). The siig wouldn’t recognize my drive. The sayba stuttered badly and screwed up my configuration (I use intel application accelerator on my motherboards ide channels).

Perhaps I did something wrong. I’m back on the promise, reinstalled iaa, and everything is back to normal.

That sounds weird and the oposite to that what others have reported…

That sounds weird and the oposite to that what others have reported…

Yes, it does. Very puzzling.

One of these cards seem to have also screwed up my base configuration. I use the intel application accelerator (which is an ide driver) for my motherbaord ide chipset. After trying these two cards (and taking them out), my computer has locked about once every few hours, sometimes for no reason, sometimes in the intel ide driver.

I had tried the cards after uninstalling the intel driver, but they didn’t work. Its frustrating because now (without these cards) my computer is unstable. I’m now seeing if my computer will be stable without the intel drivers (using the standard drivers shipped with xp).

Once I get my computer stable again, perhaps I’ll try one of these cards again.

Intel Application Acc. should be removed. It does nothing to benefit optical drives, and is well known to cause problems. Please read the IDE controller thread.

I removed the acc, and tried the siig card. It’s working fine with one channel. But when I try using two channels simultaneously, the drives don’t rip at full speed. This is similar to the results I get with the sata controllers.