Help with GSA-H55N ( external DVD-RAM GSA-E60N )

vbimport

Hi there

I was wondering if some could offer me some assistance in flashing my LG GSA-H55N ( FW v1.0 ) dvd writer.

The drive originally came in an external USB 2.0 casing, which I have dismantled and have placed into my desktop pc using an ide controller. The information on the casing told me that is a DVD-RAM GSA-E60N. However the drive itself has a label informing me that it is a LG GSA-H55N.

I have attempted to flash it using these files with no success - I do get a checksum error.

Is it possible for me to flash the drive using the BIN that has been created using Media Code Edit?

If so, can someone tell me which tool is required to do this.

Also I am concerned that the drive is not being recognised as shown in the first picture shown above.

I am using Windows XP and there is no AV software running - correct cable is being used.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

I have read the instructions provided here, but do not see the option shown in the picture below about ‘crossflashing’ :

H50/H54/H55/H73

• Firmware can be in .bin or Firmware.exe package format.
  • Firmware.exe packages can be patched to generate a stand alone flasher
  • Overspeeding of 4x +R and all -R media might not work
  • Supports crossflashing H50/H54 drives to H55 by patching the firmware .bin file
  • Supports overspeeding of 4x/8x +R media to 12x and 16x
  • Strategy swapping is lossless, so the target MID can still be used
  • Riplock patch available
  • RPC1 patch available
  • To flash a .bin firmware file, start the stand alone flasher and select the target drive, click the browse icon to select the firmware file.

Just to add, I have found a newer firmware for the writer and have tried to load it via Media Code Speed Edit but get an error message. Is it not possible to use this firmware to update, if at all?

Hi,[QUOTE=chrome307;2535892]I was wondering if some could offer me some assistance in flashing my LG GSA-H55N ( FW v1.0 ) dvd writer.

The drive originally came in an external USB 2.0 casing, which I have dismantled and have placed into my desktop pc using an ide controller. The information on the casing told me that is a DVD-RAM GSA-E60N. However the drive itself has a label informing me that it is a LG GSA-H55N.[/quote]I guess, Device Manager still reports GSA-E60N for the drive?

Have you already loaded E60N firmware into MCSE in order to check if the crossflash option is available?

Michael

@ Michael

I cannot seem to find the original firmware on the LG Optical Storage website … do they provide files for discontinued products?

I am away from my PC at present so will check to see what the drive is listed under system settings and report back.

I have re-checked the forum here for some more information and did come across a similar thread ( 2 years old ), which suggested someone had successfully carried this out but without any links for any files ie

I have also checked over at rpc1.org for the original firmware for the drive but it’s not even listed:

http://files.rpc1.org/index.php?act=category&id=468

Hi,[QUOTE=chrome307;2536096]
I cannot seem to find the original firmware on the LG Optical Storage website … do they provide files for discontinued products?[/quote]That seems to be the problem with this drive. Apparently, LG has not published any firmware for this unit. :frowning:

You may also try different versions of MCSE. The crossflashing option has been introduced with 1.1.0.15:

Michael

I loaded the H55N 1.05 firmware from LG Germany website, loaded into MCSE 1.2.0.6 and voilá:

@ mciahel

OK, thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

Just to let you know I used ‘Universal Extractor’ ( http://legroom.net/software/uniextract ) to unpack the firmware ‘exe’ file into its component parts and got the standalone flashing and a ‘bin’ file.

I loaded up the 1.05 bin file in MCSE as suggested and changed the options to include the ‘speed increase’ and ‘region free’ - finally saving the new modified firmware.

I was then able to flash the modified firmware with the standalone LG flash applicaiton and it worked perfectly :slight_smile:

Now I have looked on the web and found that there is an updated firmware for this writer available here:

( There is reference to this update on the forum here: http://club.myce.com/f91/unofficial-lg-odd-firmware-links-120485/index5.html#post2229627 )

[B]GSA-H55N F/W 1.06[/B]

INFO:

http://www.firmwarehq.com/LG/GSA-H55N/files.html

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.firmwarehq.com/download_499-file_GSA-H55N_106.zip.html

I have checked the official LG website and this is not listed so I am wondering if this is a genuine update?

I have carried out the steps above ie unpacking and modifiying the firmware then saving it ready to flash.

However I am a bit concerned as I am not sure if it is genuine.

Any ideas?

[QUOTE=chrome307;2536291]
However I am a bit concerned as I am not sure if it is genuine.

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Sometimes they are only for a specific region.

Hi,
nice you got it working :slight_smile:

QUOTE=chrome307;2536291
[B]GSA-H55N F/W 1.06[/B]

(…)
I have checked the official LG website and this is not listed so I am wondering if this is a genuine update?
[/QUOTE]LG’s local websites aren’t updated the same (for whatever reason), so one local website might have this update, another one hasn’t. LG Germany doesn’t have 1.06 available either.
So if you want that firmware from an official source, I’d suggest to check several local LG support websites (for example UK, US, Australia just to name a few).

Michael

@ mciahel

OK thanks for letting me know, I have tried the US and Australia LG sites, but they just have the v1.05 firmware.

As the changelog for v1.06 does not include better writing/reading strategies I am not induced to try it out, it appears to only include a new media type only.

[B]BTW[/B]

I have attempted to change this thread to ‘Resolved’, but I cannot do this for some reason, if you could be kind enough to edit this for me I would be appreciative.

Regards

QUOTE=chrome307;2536500
I have attempted to change this thread to ‘Resolved’, but I cannot do this for some reason, if you could be kind enough to edit this for me I would be appreciative.[/QUOTE]You were successful in setting the “Resolved” tag. :slight_smile: Indeed, there is not much feedback from the forum software :frowning:

Michael