Help With DVDFAB Mobile Settings

vbimport

Dear All,

Can any one let me know if there are any HELP on the attachments.

Thank you all.

Chow

Is there a problem with the output with these settings? For playback on an IPod the screen size or Frame Resolution is far too large. Choosing something closer to the iPod native resolution of 320x240 will give you much smaller output files and faster conversion times. I have seen some of the British Hitchcock series and the image quality is not very good, even on the original DVDs. If your iPod supports the 5th generation profile (H264 video), you will get better output image quality for a given file size by utilizing that. The cropping is not really needed on this one as the original and output are the same aspect ratio (1.333:1).
Regards,
your fellow Big League software user

[quote=signals;2068924]Is there a problem with the output with these settings? For playback on an IPod the screen size or Frame Resolution is far too large. Choosing something closer to the iPod native resolution of 320x240 will give you much smaller output files and faster conversion times. I have seen some of the British Hitchcock series and the image quality is not very good, even on the original DVDs. If your iPod supports the 5th generation profile (H264 video), you will get better output image quality for a given file size by utilizing that. The cropping is not really needed on this one as the original and output are the same aspect ratio (1.333:1).
Regards,
your fellow Big League software user[/quote]

Dear My Fellow Big League Software User ----Signal.

Thank you for your email and recommandations. Yes, I had problems with some movies which are “WIDESCREEN” DVD. I cannot seems to be able to resize between Pan&Scan & Letter, the movie got “cut off” both sides when viewing on the IPOD.

Is there a size that I can use for the widescreen DVD’s I cannot seem to be able to get one that can fit.

Also, you mentioned the ipod native of 320x 240 (1.333:1) but I noticed that sometime the native resolution is not always avaliable…it varys from DVD to DVD…is that correct? In other words, I should choose the closes to the native resolution?

Thank you for all you help, signal.

[quote=signals;2068924]Is there a problem with the output with these settings? For playback on an IPod the screen size or Frame Resolution is far too large. Choosing something closer to the iPod native resolution of 320x240 will give you much smaller output files and faster conversion times. I have seen some of the British Hitchcock series and the image quality is not very good, even on the original DVDs. If your iPod supports the 5th generation profile (H264 video), you will get better output image quality for a given file size by utilizing that. The cropping is not really needed on this one as the original and output are the same aspect ratio (1.333:1).
Regards,
your fellow Big League software user[/quote]

Sorry, I am now just trying to ripped DVD to my IPOD. So I need to learn all the basic functions from experts.

One more thing, I can I prevent “jerking” videos. I ripped this movie to my IPOD and played well, but some times the video jerked.

Thank you for your expertise…

Chow

Hi there SM…

Jerkiness is usually cause by setting your bitrate to high and the device not being able to handle it.

When it tries to catch up, that’s when the jerkiness occurs.

It is a real trial & error thing because themovies themselves are also another variable.

For example a movie that is very dark with little action will require a lower bitrate than a light movie with a lot of action.

Welcome to the “Big League”

:flower::slight_smile:

[quote=GregiBoy;2069368]Hi there SM…

Jerkiness is usually cause by setting your bitrate to high and the device not being able to handle it.

When it tries to catch up, that’s when the jerkiness occurs.

It is a real trial & error thing because themovies themselves are also another variable.

For example a movie that is very dark with little action will require a lower bitrate than a light movie with a lot of action.

Welcome to the “Big League”

:flower::)[/quote]

Thank you… I shall try the trial & Error.

Yes, it is scary going to the BIg League.:doh:

[QUOTE=Sea Monster;2068974]Also, you mentioned the ipod native of 320x 240 (1.333:1) but I noticed that sometime the native resolution is not always avaliable…it varys from DVD to DVD…is that correct? In other words, I should choose the closes to the native resolution?[/QUOTE]

Monster,

I suggest that you purchase a cheap calculator or learn to Run->Calc. The reason that I say this is it is pretty easy to calculate.

Your maximium in the X dimension is 320 pixels and Fab works from that.

If the DVD is 4:3, the resolution should be 320 x 240 (320 divided by 4 multiplied by 3)

If the DVD is 16:9, the resolution should be 320 x 180 (320 divided by 16 multiplied by 9)

What then further confuses the issue are widescreen DVD’s which have an even smaller aspect ratio than 16:9 and you will get a lot of them.

Fab usually makes a pretty good guess at what the resolution should be.

You can then further complicate the issue if you want to crop/resize the movie.

I suggest you take it one step at a time and once you fully understand one, move on to the next.
Capisce

[quote=GregiBoy;2069408]Monster,

I suggest that you purchase a cheap calculator or learn to Run->Calc. The reason that I say this is it is pretty easy to calculate.

Your maximium in the X dimension is 320 pixels and Fab works from that.

If the DVD is 4:3, the resolution should be 320 x 240 (320 divided by 4 multiplied by 3)

If the DVD is 16:9, the resolution should be 320 x 180 (320 divided by 16 multiplied by 9)

What then further confuses the issue are widescreen DVD’s which have an even smaller aspect ratio than 16:9 and you will get a lot of them.

Fab usually makes a pretty good guess at what the resolution should be.

You can then further complicate the issue if you want to crop/resize the movie.

I suggest you take it one step at a time and once you fully understand one, move on to the next.
Capisce[/quote]

That’s very informative and you guys are so good…Thank you, love you all.

Chow.

SM
The native resolution of the iPod is always 320x240, that is the number of pixels or picture elements on its screen. For movies that do not have the same widthxheight ratio (1.333:1) your choices for display on an iPod are to either have black bars on the top and bottom (letterbox) or cut some of the movie off each side (pan & scan) and have the remaining picture fill the full screen. There are no other options other than to use the zoom slider on the Advanced Resolutions settings page to choose an in-between setting that makes the black bars slightly smaller and cuts off slightly less from the sides of the picture (this would be somewhere between “letterbox” (maximum black bars, no picture lost) and “pan and scan” (zero black bars, lots of picture lost). This image illustrates the effect of the zoom slider when it is set to “pan & scan”:

Great explanation Signals.

@Gregiboy
Thanks, your advice was good too. This is a confusing topic, but Ting has given us powerful controls to make the best size choices for each movie. Your advice to experiment to learn the effects of the controls on different movie formats (1.85, 2.35 etc.) is the best technique.

Yeah, I was trying not to be too technical.

Thanks Guys…

Really help alot. I have learnt a great deal and I am so glad to be able to get help.

Take Care.

Chow:bow: