Help with DVD Ripping

Hey.

I have a Relisys (I think thats how you spell it) DVD drive and I am having trouble trying to get the ripping speed to go faster.

I got it to run under UDMA mode. But when I try ripping DVD’s it only rips at around 2X. I know it needs some processing to take the encryption off of it but before I had DMA mode running the CPU usage was at 100% now it’s only like 7% and the HD is hardly worked too but the DVD read speed when ripping is still stuck at 2X speed where the max speed of the drive is 16X. I know I won’t get 16X out of it but it would be nice if it ripped a litter faster. Any ideas?

PC specs:-

Athlon XP 2100+ running at something like 1733MHz

80GB IBM HD 7200 rpm running in UDMA mode 5. A speed test said it can do around 40MB a second so that can’t be the problem for it sticking around 2X DVD speed (around 2.7MB/s)

Relisys 16X DVD-ROM drive running in UDMA mode 4.

I know it isnt the CPU or HD thats limiting it now I have DMA mode on my DVD-ROM drive. The CPU averages at around 7 to 10% and the HD hardly makes a noise when writing.

Note: I built this system myself, I don’t buy custom built machines from places like PC World and Time, Tiny etc.

The rip speed might be limited. Does it stay at 2x for the entire ripping time?

what software do you use to rip and is the dvd protected??
if the dvd is protected…the software will look for the keys and slow down

my toshiba is limited in the firmware…this is to discourage ripping protected dvd’s

This look like any major brand drives you know?

AFAIK Relisys is the manufacturer… this drive is mediatek based though.

The rip speed might be limited. Does it stay at 2x for the entire ripping time?

Yes. When starting ripping it jumps to 2X and doesn’t go any higher.

what software do you use to rip and is the dvd protected??

I use Smart Ripper but I have tried others like DVD Decrypter and still get the same results. Yes the DVD’s I have tried are protected.

The image that BadReligionPR posted is my DVD drive :slight_smile:

You say the drive may have a limited rip speed. Is there any firmware I can get to fix this or am I stuck with it?

Thanks.

i think you are stuck with it
you could try to adjust some setting in dvddecryptor…
for example the way it searches for the keys and how often…that could speed up things

Maybe it’s a Toshiba or Pioneer rebadged…

that would explain the speed

Oh well I’m not bothered messing around. I don’t rip DVD’s very often so I’ll have to put up with it. At least I have a vague idea on what the problem is :bigsmile: