Help with DVD Choice

vbimport

Can someone suggest which of these players I should buy. I'm interested in good reading speed, changing regions (or region free), and low noise.

The prices are in euro which is almost 1:1 with the US dollar.

ACER DVP1648A 16x-48x ATAPI BULK ACER € 59,4
ARTEC 16x40 ATAPI DHI-G40 ARTEC € 59,1624
ASUS 16x40 ATAPI INTERNAL ASUS € 83,16
BTC 12x40 ATAPI INTERNAL BDV121B SMC € 51,7644
BTC 16x48 ATAPI INTERNAL BDV316B BTC € 55,998
CREATIVE 12x40 ATAPI CREATIVE € 91,8
CYBERDRIVE 12X40 N/A € 62,9424
CYBERDRIVE 16X40 N/A € 69,1308
LG 16X48 ATAPI BULK LG € 73,44
LITE-ON 16x48 INTERNAL ATAPI LTD 163V LITE ON € 58,212
NEC 12x40 INTERNAL ATAPI DV5700A NEC € 70,3944
NEC 16x48 INTERNAL ATAPI DV5800 BULK NEC € 65,9
PIONEER 106S 16x40 ATAPI PIONEER € 70,2432
PIONEER 116 16x40 ATAPI BULK PIONEER € 66,0204
RICOH DVD-CDRW 9200A 20x10x40x12 RETAIL RICOH € 190,6524
SAMSUNG 16x-48x SAMSUNG € 72,36
SAMSUNG SD616 16X SAMSUNG € 72,36
SONY 16x DVD-40x CDDTU-1621-10 BULK SONY € 60,21
SONY 16x DVD-40x CDDTU-1621-82E SONY € 73,4076
TOSHIBA 16X48 BULK TOSHIBA € 59,1624

Thanx in advance :slight_smile:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

everyone here will recommend Lite-on, Toshiba, or Pioneer. Im also looking for a good dvd rom.

PIONEER 116 16x40 ATAPI BULK PIONEER € 66,0204

I have this one and very happy with it.

Region-selection was easy to disable and reading/ripping speeds are pretty good.

i got the toshiba and it’s good… easy to get region free

I’ve go the PIONEER 116 and haven’t had any trouble with it at all.

Well I’ll probably decide between Pioneer and Lite-On.
I have heard that Pioneer is too noisy, is that true? Please someone with Lite-On tell me the same :slight_smile:

Is the price worth for the pioneer over the Lite-On?

Thanx to the people that replied :slight_smile:

I know this subject has been discussed many times about which players is good :slight_smile: But I’m new to the forum and I havent got any DVD player just because I didnt need one. Now I think is the moment i need to expirement a little with the DVD technology so please help me out :slight_smile:

Thanx again

I cant say that the Pioneer is all that noisy at all. She works just fine with me and isn’t all noisy at all. They are both good brands and all go with what you think is right for you. I would say the Lite-On as it they are great drives and save you a little bit of cash

I’m very happy on the noise infromation :slight_smile: I like the Pioneer look very much since its a slot not a tray. Would fit on my PC very good :smiley:

I noticed that Lite-On is DMA33 and Pioneer is DMA66. Any significat speed decrease in that matter or it really doesnt matter?
Maybe less cpu usage? I have a Celeron 733 with 256MB.

:Z

Again thank you :rolleyes:

UDMA is designed in such way that it will not burden the CPU that much… In general there won’t be much difference between UDMA 33 or 66 when using cd-roms in the dvd player.

The ripping of dvd’s will go slightly better of course with a faster drive and udma connection.

For playing (which is done on single speed) it’s absolutely no problem whatsoever. What can be a burden for the cpu though is the decoding of the mpeg streams. This burden can be taken away by buying a special hardware mpeg decoder such as the hollywood+ pci card.

Well I think I have made my choice (thanks to you people).

I’ll buy the Lite-On with a possibility if the decoding goes slow to buy a mpeg card which will be useful for watching movies on my TV also :smiley:

If there is no Lite-On in stock I’ll be happy to use the stylish Pioneer :stuck_out_tongue:

Well thanx go to all of you :slight_smile:

:smiley:

Be careful what you buy for a decoder card if you plan to watch more that one region. They’re not easy to make region free.

The software player has its own region settings
The dvd rom player has its own region settings
AND the mpeg decoder card has it’s own region settings

I have heard from other people that the Hollywood+ card is an excellent choice. Not sure what are its region settings. Is it posible to make the MPEG card region free?

For the Lite-On what combo would fit fine?

Originally posted by rafal
[B]I have heard from other people that the Hollywood+ card is an excellent choice. Not sure what are its region settings. Is it posible to make the MPEG card region free?

For the Lite-On what combo would fit fine? [/B]

Well , there’s this for the hollywood+ cards.

For the LiteOn you could check here

Thanks for all the help :slight_smile: I hope I didn’t bother you too much :slight_smile:

Talk to you in feature about some other DVD related matter since I’ll try to get more into this stuff.

Ta-da
:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

Originally posted by rafal
[B]Thanks for all the help :slight_smile: I hope I didn’t bother you too much :slight_smile:

Talk to you in feature about some other DVD related matter since I’ll try to get more into this stuff.

Ta-da
:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: [/B]

no problemo