Help with DMR ES25

Guys,
I bought this recorder a few weeks ago to replace an Apex dvd recorder. I have a few DVD +Rs that I had finalized on the Apex recorder and although I can play the DVDs on the dmr es25, the video stops playing back every 5.00 minutes and jumps to the next title on the DVD. Upon further scrutiny, I found that the entire recording has been divided into several titles and each title into several chapters each 5.00 minutes long. During normal playback, the video stops at each of the chapter ends and does not seamlessly transition into the successive chapter, but jumps to the next title, which more often than not is a different movie. The DVDs are useless now and I am at the verge of losing my collection of Cary Grant movies! Can someone please help? Any suggestions will be truly appreciated.

Thanks,
P

Suggest you try ripping the titles on PC. Sounds like it might have been recorded in DVD-VR mode, but that’s not for sure. Anyway, if the discs are readable on PC, you should be able to re-author them and burn in a more friendly format.

Agree, some discs that I recorded on an old (now dead) Apex will play some will not, some would Rip and Burn some will not read - lost “Battlestar Galactica 2003” parts 1 & 2.

Thanks Dan. However, my laptop (Dell Precision M90 with a DVD R/RW drive) does not seem to recognize the disk format and I cannot play the disks on the computer either…I was so desperate that I opened up the Apex and I think a transformer is toast…Anyway, I take it that there is no way to help make the transition smooth between the chapters then…

Wish I could atleast rewrite the disks in a more compatible format like you suggested…

Thanks for the advice.
P

Try playing the discs with PowerDVD, or some other program that’s known to be able to read DVD-VR. If you explore the discs on the laptop, are there any files on the disc?

CDan,
I tried…but to no avail. PowerDVD does not run the disk and when I tried to explore the disk, it shows up as having 0 bytes. I can only play the disk on the dvd recorder at this time…any suggestions for trying to read the disk by other means?

Thanks,
P

All you can do is to try the disc in other drives on PC. You might wind up doing a 1:1 copy to the new recorder with the Apex.

I have a small problem with my DMR-ES25.
Yesterday I recorded a dvd from my dvd player fine and no problems. Today, I tried to record another DVD from my dvd player and I keep getting an error message saying to “start the camcorder”?
I went through the instructions and using the Drive Select, I only have two options DV or SD?
Am I missing something? Can someone help me please?
Tks

Wow that’s a weird one which I’ve never had/heard of. It’s like the unit doesn’t think it has a DVD drive. I don’t think their would be any setup option to disable the DVD drive. Unless someone else comes up with a better thought I’d personally try doing a hard reset on your machine. On Pannys that would be to, with the machine powered on, hold both the channel up and channel down buttons on the machine down for about 10 seconds. The clock should go back to 12:00 and you will need to reprogram most all your options including channel lineup. It’s about the only thing I can think of to try.

Tks jjeff, I’ll give that a try. Appreciate your taking the time to respond, tks again.

[QUOTE=jjeff;2123337]Wow that’s a weird one which I’ve never had/heard of. It’s like the unit doesn’t think it has a DVD drive. I don’t think their would be any setup option to disable the DVD drive. Unless someone else comes up with a better thought I’d personally try doing a hard reset on your machine. On Pannys that would be to, with the machine powered on, hold both the channel up and channel down buttons on the machine down for about 10 seconds. The clock should go back to 12:00 and you will need to reprogram most all your options including channel lineup. It’s about the only thing I can think of to try.[/QUOTE]

jjeff, tks very much for your assist - that did the trick!

Thanks for posting back:) If my ES-25 ever does the same I’ll have to follow my own advice:bigsmile: