Help with divx to dvd

vbimport

I have several video files that I want to burn to dvd. Most are divx/xvid or mpeg. The mpegs are not a problem. I have tried nero to transcode divx and had no luck (tried diffrent versions of nero, tried all kind of fixes and have given up on nero to transcode). I have tried diko, divxtosvcd and some others. The two I got to work were vso divxtodvd and the film machine. They both output a video_ts folder with the normal dvd files which isn’t a problem. I have managed to merge several video_ts folders with a menu in nero and got working disks.
My question is this. I have only done a few test files but when viewed on a 27 inch television playing off the dvd’s I created, vso divxtodvd files showed some pretty heavy, visable video compression. The film machine showed less but it was still visable (they were from diffrent source files so the original may be to blame for the diffrence). Is it normal for divx converted to dvd to show a lot of compression? I am mainly just wondering if I should be happy with what I have or should I keep trying to find software that does a beter job (if their is any that will do a beter job)? None of these files are super important or anything so as long as they are watchable it’s cool. I’m just not sure if if I am seeing the limitations of the original files or if the transcoding is causing bad quality. I may have dvd movie factory and or some pinacle software off of old oem disk (if I can find them) to play with. I also have a very old copy of tmpgenc (that doesn’t seem to be able to work with divx). Beyond that I would prefer free software.
Is vso divxtodvd and the film machine probably doing as good of a job as other software would or should I keep looking for something beter?

DivX files are compressed. The best you can do is keep the quality about the same as the original.
If you want the best dvd’s you can make, you need to venture into standalone applications.
A separate encoder, such as Canopus Procoder, Mainconcept, or tmpgenc.
A separate authoring application, such as DVDLab, and of course, something to burn with.

I am aware that you cannot get beter quality than the original. I guess what I need to do is hook my tv up to my computer again and play the original. then I can compare how the original plays to the transcoded copy on the same tv. That way I’ll know how much if any quality I am loosing in the transcoding. I am aware of the methods of using standalone programs for each step but had hoped to avoid going to that much trouble. Does it make a big diffrence doing it that way? Considering the quality of some of the originals, I would rather do it the easy way if the diffrence is only going to be small.
Also, is the transcoding quality I am getting from vso divxtodvd and the film machine going to more or less be on par with other all in one programs?

Done with standalone apps, one can use filters, which can improve the quality of the finished dvd, versus a one-click copy.
Using separate apps, and doing it right, can make a huge difference in quality, compared to VSO and similar apps.
It depends on your eyes (or those watching it). If you’re happy with VSO, fine. I’m not, and prefer to take the time involved with other apps.
The larger the TV, the more quality one should retain.
Sure, VSO works great on a 20", but sucks big time on my 48". :smiley:

Have a look here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=61142

Thanks for the info reboot and thanks for the link to the tutorial Dee-ehn. I’ll give it a read. I’m not in any hurry to do this so I can take my time and try diffrent things. When I find one I like i’ll start doing all my files. I still have enough surplus hard drive space to experiment a little while.