Help with Decieding On Upgrading My Pc

First off let me start out by saying thanks for taking the time to read this =]
I’ll list my pc specs in a second but first off i would like to explain what i would like to do with my pc so everyone can get an understanding im a huge movie buff n i have over 300 movies on my pc n on cds that ive burned in avi form n i would love to be able to burn them on dvd’s so i can watch them on my tv and give to family n friends

here are my specs i know thier sad but i love this computer ive built it part by part n grown attached to it and would rather upgrade it then replace it unless it would just be cheaper to replace

MOTHERBOARD-
Biostar M6VLR SOCKET 370 MOTHERBOARD (SUPPORTS UP TO P3 1.4GHZ PROCESSOR, AND SUPPORTS UP TO 1GB PC133 SDRAM, 512MB IN EACH SLOT)

PROCESSOR-
INTEL PENTIUM 3 SOCKET 370 733MHZ PROCESSOR

RAM-
128 MB PC133 SDRAM
64 MB PC133 SDRAM (DONT ASK LOL JUST DIDNT WANNA LEAVE THE SLOT OPEN)

HARD DRIVE-
(2X) 80GB WESTERN DIGITAL HARD DRIVES

OPITICAL DRIVES-
MEMOREX 52X32X52X CD-RW DRIVE
UNKNOWN 16X DVD-ROM DRIVE

VIDEO CARD-
128MB NVIDIA GEFORCE4 MX 4000 PCI

basically i dont want to spend alot of money upgrading if its not gonna b worth it i just wanna burn personal dvds thats all im willing 2 throw a 1gb of ram in there n a 1.4 processor if its worth it but not sure n can sum1 advise me on buying a dvd burner cuz i have no idea which 1 to get on a budget

thanks again if anything just im me at sanoske312

You really couldn’t go wrong by buying a 16x dvd burner, and take out your dvd reader and put the new burner in it’s place. It might be slow, but it should burn your avi’s to dvd just fine. You may have to play around with various softwares to find some that don’t use too much cpu or memory, as you have a pretty weak system for doing avi to dvd work (but it might work). Even if it doesn’t work, you can always use the dvd burner in any new system, so it’s worth a try. You can go to www.videohelp.com, and download various free softwares for converting avi to dvd’s. Convertx2dvd is a pretty good one, and there are many more. If you intend on doing any editing of your movies, or want chapter marks, etc…, there are softwares that do that as well.

You can also get a standalone dvd recorder, and transfer your files that way as well. Then there are firewire/usb devices which aid in transferring avi to mpeg, internal capture cards, etc…

Do some reading at www.videohelp.com, decide exactly what you want to do and how you would like to do it, and then ask more questions…

Well, you shouldn’t spend more than $100 on this old system, cause it simply wouldn’t be worth it. But you’re lucky in that your mobo supports Tualatin P3’s. You might be able to find a (used) 1.13 or 1.2 GHz for around $25 (1.4 will be unavailable or very expensive). Then buy the cheapest DVD-burner you can find for maybe $30 (Lite-On would be good) and spend the rest on RAM (replace the 64MB by 256MB at least).

Keep in mind, that putting $100.00 into this pc, and you still have a very slow, no power pc. For around $400.00 you could get a brand new pc with a dvd burner, software, a better video card, more memory, and either a 3400 athlon, or a 2.8gb to 3.2gb p4, with all the holiday sales that we be going on in the next few weeks…

yeah yesterday i went looking for a new motherboard,processor,ram n i found a barebone within my budget of 160 its an intel celeron 3.3 ghz, microatx motherboard socket 775 so it supports up 2 a 3.7 ghz p4 (uncase of anything) and 256 ddr ram im just not sure cuz i heard celerons sux for dvd burning any advise? also i have one last ? what woud a AMD Sempron 3000+ Socket 754 Processor run like compared to a p4 cuz there about the same price as the celeron so any advise on which 1 2 buy?

Which windows version are your running (2000, XP, ME)?

Here is a link for a $189.00 PC with a 15" LCD. You just have to stand in line all night at Best Buy…

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmprd64000050000&skuId=999963800050000&type=product

lol im currently running xp service pack 2
and as for the “You just have to stand in line all night at Best Buy…” i think ill pass

im auctually thinking of just doing this buying a used p4 processor 2.4 socket 478 for 50 off of the local pc shop by my house
and a cheap microatx motherboard n transfering my hd’s n as for ram im not sure how much to buy so if any1 has anyidea please let me know remember this will b just used for burning dvds n web surfing no gaming

[B][I]@Sanoske312:[/I][/B] Since you are asking a lot of questions here, please could you not type in mobile phone text shorthand. It is making it difficult to read what you’re saying.

oh im sorry its a bad habbit ill reanswer the questions

my current operation system in windows xp home with service pack 2, and my next question was about how much ram should i buy cause i wanna use my computer for dvd burning i have alot of home movies on my computer n want to be able to watch them on dvd

Computer swap meets can get you insanely cheap items in perfect working order, i have built an exremely powerful pc by buying parts from swap meets.