Help with crossflashed iHAS424A@524

vbimport

Hi,

I crossflashed an iHAS424-32A to an iHAS524A using firmware: ATAPI.iHAS524_A.BL2J.patched-fr-dl16.

The good news is that the drive now has working LabelTag :slight_smile: but the drive has some bugs in it, I don’t know whether these are caused by the crossflash, the iHAS524_A.BL2J.patched-fr-dl16 firmware or what. I was hoping someone could enlighten me.

I started a multisession DVD-R and burnt a data session in nero. Then i started labeltag software in liteon smartpack and clicked “preview” but smartpack says “Error: target disc was finalized! Can not create LabelTag image.”. A quick check in Nero tells me that Nero also thinks the disc has been finalised, but putting the disc in my 20A3P drive tells me otherwise: the disc is not at all finalised and Nero is happy to add additional sessions if i wanted.

A second try… I got a DVD+R, burnt a single 1mb file to it in multisession mode. This time Smartpack doesnt complain and it burns the label. But, an unpleasant surprise! the disc has been finalised after the label has been written even though I was explicitly careful not to tick the “finalize disc” checkbox in smartpack. Attempts to add further labels cause the error “Writing is impossible for a finalized disc!”

Any ideas what is causing these issues?

Achelon

My best advice for products that under warranty or extended warranty don’t cross-flash unless you want to incur the wrath of the warranty department of the hardware. Do it only after your warranty has expired and come back and ask for help. I never cross flash a drive with another firmware unless those whom done it has done it enough time and present some facts as to the working nature of the cross-flash that can be trusted won’t harm or damage the hardware itself as well as have unattended consequence of flash wrong firmware that won’t show up til a feature is used.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I’m not requesting help because I have damaged my drive nor do I intend or want to make a waranty claim. Also, I would like to point out that I did not crossflash on a whim, but was careful to first check chipset compatibility. I also do have evidence that this has been performed successfully since I have seen a user signature on this forum that lists one of their drives as a “iHAS424A@524”.

I have a full Flash and EEPROM backup I made prior to crossflash. I’m more interested in getting the crossflashed LabelTag functionality working properly. My inescapable conclusion is that one or more of the following are true:

1. The observable behavior is by design and I simply don’t know how to use the functionality properly.
  2. There is a bug in SmartPack 1.19.
  3. There is a bug in the firmware I used that causes improper behavior of the multi session functionality.
  4. Despite the drives having identical chipsets, other unknown hardware factors cause malfunctions to occur when crossflashed in this manner.

I was just hoping that someone more knowledgable than myself could indicate to me which is true.

Regards,
Achelon

24B1LT@iHAS524, BL2J-fr-dl16. I have no problem with LabelTag. I use CDBurnerXP to make multisession discs.

Hi NewFish,

Thanks for your reply. I used CDBurnerXP to reproduce the steps you did and you’re right, smartpack does correctly recognise the previous session as being open and lets me burn a label.

BUT, I still see this issue: After i burn the label, the disc has been closed even though the “finalize disc” checkbox in smartpack was unchecked. The whole point of LabelTag is to allow the label to be at arbitrary points in a multisession disc, not just the last session and therefore to allow artibrary numbers of labels up the the capacity of the disc.

Please see the screenshot I attached. I tried to write additional data after the label but if I click the options to burn the disc (eg finalise) a message comes up after that saying the disc is not writable.

Can you confirm for me please whether the finalise disc checkbox works properly for you?

[QUOTE=Achelon;2503155]Hi NewFish,
Thanks for your reply. I used CDBurnerXP to reproduce the steps you did and you’re right, smartpack does correctly recognise the previous session as being open and lets me burn a label.
BUT, I still see this issue: After i burn the label, the disc has been closed even though the “finalize disc” checkbox in smartpack was unchecked. The whole point of LabelTag is to allow the label to be at arbitrary points in a multisession disc, not just the last session and therefore to allow artibrary numbers of labels up the the capacity of the disc.
Please see the screenshot I attached. I tried to write additional data after the label but if I click the options to burn the disc (eg finalise) a message comes up after that saying the disc is not writable.
Can you confirm for me please whether the finalise disc checkbox works properly for you?[/QUOTE]
Hi Achelon
The finalize disc checkbox works properly for me with DVD-R discs. I have managed to burn discs with data+label+label and data+label+data+label. On DVD+R discs after burning a label the disc is always finalized.

On DVD+R discs after burning a label the disc is always finalized.

This is the behavior I see too. Hopefully LiteOn will fix this. Thanks for your help.

[QUOTE=NewFish;2503195]Hi Achelon
The finalize disc checkbox works properly for me with DVD-R discs. I have managed to burn discs with data+label+label and data+label+data+label. On DVD+R discs after burning a label the disc is always finalized.[/QUOTE]

Try burning a DVD+R with bitsetting DVD+R ( not DVD-ROM ).

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2503459]Try burning a DVD+R with bitsetting DVD+R ( not DVD-ROM ).[/QUOTE]
That’s exactly what I do - no bitsetting, booktype DVD+R, disc is finalized.

That’s odd … The only reason that I think that could afect DVD+R and not DVD-R is bitsetting.