Help with copying a burned dvd

so i bought some 2 sets of burned dvds from a guy on the internet, and 1 set works on both my dvd player and computer.

the other set works great on my computer but not at all on my dvd player.
the non working set is on ridata 16x DVD-R media and there are 6 discs.

ive tried copying them to DVD+R media because i read somewhere that DVD+Rs are more compatible with more dvd players.
im watching the dvds on my toshiba tv/dv/vcr combo about 3 years old.
at first i wasnt sure if the discs were pal/ntsc, but have determined that they are ntsc. i just cant figure out how to get it to play on my dvd player.

any ideas would be much appreciated!

Before we can help you we need to know what the content is on the dvd’s. If these are illegally copied dvd’s, we can’t help you. Please tell us what exactly is on these dvd’s. If it is legal, we will be glad to assist you.

they are sets of his band performing at a local venue in georgia.
nothing illegal. im too cautious for that stuff.

i guess i should’ve specified that as my info sounded quite suspicious. haha

Assuming these are in dvd-video format, try ripping the ridata disks to the hard drive in the form of ISO files. Since these are not copy protected, you can do this with ImgBurn. ImgBurn is free to download and use: www.imgburn.com To make the ISO, just click [I]Create image file from disc [/I]when ImgBurn starts up.

-R disks can hold a tiny amount more than +R disks…about 7mb more, so I’m hoping these are not full to the very edge if you plan on backing up to +R disks.

We recommend Verbatim as a safe choice for blank disks. I would burn the ISO file you make from each of your dvds to a blank disk at 8x speed.

+R disks are not any more compatible, and may be slightly less so when not bitset, so I think I would just go ahead and buy Verbatim 16x -R disks for this project.

To burn the ISO file with ImgBurn, click on [I]Write image file to disc[/I] when you start Imgburn again.

Now, the reason I think this process will work is because most of the problems we see where a burned disk won’t work are due to using poor quality media, or burning the disk too fast for that particular combination of burner and media.

kerry,

just did exactly what you said and I still get the “incorrect disc” message on my dvd player. it pisses me off because it burned and verified and said everything was cool on the burner. it even looked the same on the back of the disc. (when i tried a previous software, it only burned like a fourth of the space on the back of the disc)

i dont know what to do. and it’s starting to tick me off…

any more ideas?

Burning Verbatim 16x -R at 8x should have worked for the vast majority of players. So, if it isn’t the media, or the burn speed, lets look at the dvd-video itself.

If you have the ISO files still on the hard drive, try opening one of them with DVDShrink (you could also use one of the dvds). DVDShrink is free to use, just click on the name in the first sentence of this paragraph and it will take you to the download center here at cdfreaks. To open the ISO with Shrink, start the program, then click on Control I.

I don’t want you to use Shrink, just open the file with it, and see if Shrink can analyze it without errors. DVDShrink is a stickler for correct dvd structure, and if the dvd-video is slightly out of spec, DVDShrink won’t finish the analysis.

This is a long shot, but something to try. If you do run into problems analyzing the disk, run the video through FixVTS, then try it again through Shrink.