Help with computer build

vbimport

I’ve posted for help on several computer forums but have got limited help or the things they recommended didn’t work so I was hoping someone here could help.

My build:
Cooler Master 912 Advanced
Intel i5-2500K
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Seasonic S12II 520 Bronze
Corsair Vengeance 2X4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
Western Digital Cavier Black (WD1002Faex 1TB)
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
AFT XM5U Card Reader
Using Integrated HD Graphics 3000

This is my first build and my nephew is actually doing the build (has built two computers in the past) but we’ve ran into a problem of it not posting we get a blank screen on the monitor.

We are getting a b2 code from Dr Debug which refers to “Legacy Option ROM Initialization”.

Things we’ve tried:
Clearing the CMOS and removing the CMOS battery.
Powering up with just the motherboard, CPU, DDR3 memory, fans, power supply and chassis speaker connected.
Trying all different configuration of RAM slots including just using one stick.
Tried using a stick of DDR3 out of my mom’s Dell computer although I suppose it might not be compatible.

Could I have a RAM compatibility issue or could it be a bad motherboard?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.us.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3

http://www.asrock.com/mb/manual.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme3%20Gen3

While I really like the features and price of the ASRock motherboard I didn’t realize they provided no tech support, or anyway they’re not answering my emails.

[QUOTE=mccoady;2616965]While I really like the features and price of the ASRock motherboard I didn’t realize they provided no tech support, or anyway they’re not answering my emails.[/QUOTE]

I’ve long taken the position that if I cannot make a computer POST
in 20minutes it probably will not… ever…

To diagnose anything you must be methodical and deliberate. to that end start by disconnecting EVERYTHING then installing only what is strictly necissary:
1)a SINGLE RAM stick
2)Keyboard
3)Mouse
4)Monitor, preferably NOT Via a video card

The object is to eliminate as many things as possible (If you clear-cut the forest Sasquatch is a lot easier to find)

If it still doesn’t POST remove the MoBo from the case
and connect everything in the “minimalistic” test setup with the MoBo resting on a non-conductive surface (cardboard works well)

And try again, if it posts the MoBo was shorting against the case.

If it doesn’t it or the CPU is DEAD.,.

THAT is far as I’m willing to go on a “Zebra Hunt”

I keep a 1hour mechanical kitchen timer on my work bench for a reason.

For a Post Test on any give computer I allow 20min, if that MoBo hasn’t shown SOME glimmer of life in that 20min you would hear the whistling sound it makes as it is “Frisbeed” towards the nearest trash bin. (unless under warranty in which case it goes back into the box)

Guess! Do you get in the bios screen? if so check the integrated graphic options.

No we can’t get into the BIOS screen just a blank monitor.

I guess the next step is to remove the motherboard to see if something was shorting against the case.

I called a local repair shop and he said it was probably hardware related (if the above isn’t a problem) and said it’s possible it’s the CPU but not likely but more so the MOBO or power supply.

removing the battery of the MB wont cut it you should see in the MB docs what jumper ( normaly J7 ). take the jumper out and put it back in the other 2 pins normaly 3 pins than put the power on wait a little put the power cord off reverse the process put the power cord on here is youre bios reset. if it POST´s have fun.

If you happen to remove the motherboard, check the CPU socket for bent pins with a magnifier.
I had a Gigabyte and Asus board shipped to me by Newegg with bent pins on both.
The symptoms were as described in the OP post.

I ended up taking it to the computer shop (just a individual who does repairs and builds computers to sell) and the only thing he could come up with it’s probably a bad MOBO although there’s always the possibility of the CPU…he didn’t have another CPU to test.

So yes we will be taking out the motherboard to send back and I will check for bent pins.

I bought the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 because it seemed to offer a great value with a lot of features but now I’m wondering if a ASUS would be a better quality board.

I’ve never returned anything to newegg before how does the Iron Egg return policy work if I switch to a different board do I have to pay a restocking fee?

Okay, like Allen said, you have to get down to basics. When you build computers start by the POST first. You need Case, PSU, MB, Processor, Memory, and Graphics. Your MB has OnBoard Graphics with both Analog and DVI. So pull or disconnect everything else, except these items. Connect the Monitor to the Analog, and turn the computer on. You should get one Beep and an error message on the Monitor saying something like no OS Found. So let us know what happens when you do this. Does the Processor Fan come on with nothing else, or no Fan and nothing. Remember everything has to be seated properly, like the Memory, and connected, especially the Power connector and the Power Button Pins. :cool:

[QUOTE=mccoady;2617108]
I’ve never returned anything to newegg before how does the Iron Egg return policy work if I switch to a different board do I have to pay a restocking fee?[/QUOTE]

Newegg refused my RMA request for both boards with bent pins.
They claimed that I damaged the boards.

I’ve been building systems since 1995 and after roughly $38,000 of purchases over the years, I’m done with Newegg.

I had to RMA both boards to the respective manufacturers and sell the replacements at a loss.

The system in my signature was built from parts purchased elsewhere.

Hopefully, you won’t suffer the same experience, but if the pins are bent be prepared for the worst.

Never had to pay a restocking fee from Newegg. I have only had to return three incorrectly filled orders over the years prior to this incident.

Well at this point after having the computer shop check it out I’m going to try to return it he checked everything he could think of, checked out power supply, tried different RAM and no RAM at all, checked connections, etc…being a very small shop he didn’t have an extra CPU to rule that out entirely though.

All fans, LED’s, Dr Debug display on board shows b2 code, sound, etc. works but as mentioned earlier we get no display at all on the monitor it’s like no monitor was connected (tried different ones). He pulled the RAM and turned on just to see if it would beep alerting that none was installed and it did.

Someone suggested trying an add-on video card but I guess I forgot about trying that.

I hope the CPU socket doesn’t have bent pins because we certainly didn’t bend them I always assumed newegg gave the customer the benefit of the doubt if something didn’t work and gave you a no hassle replacement or refund.

It will be next week now before I’m able to mess with the computer again to remove the board to send back.

It sounds like the Shop didn’t know what they were doing either, did you see my Post? Before you start sending anything back give it one last shot. If you were getting that one Beep, but no Video it has to do with Graphics and Monitor. Like I said, you have two OnBoard connections, and you should be using the Analog or D-Sub connection. So take everything else off and set up the computer with Case, PSU, Processor, Memory, and connect Monitor to D-Sub. Then let me know what you get. If you don’t get that one Beep, it fails the POST and one of these components is at fault. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2617138]Okay, like Allen said, you have to get down to basics. When you build computers start by the POST first. You need Case, PSU, MB, Processor, Memory, and Graphics. Your MB has OnBoard Graphics with both Analog and DVI. So pull or disconnect everything else, except these items. Connect the Monitor to the Analog, and turn the computer on. You should get one Beep and an error message on the Monitor saying something like no OS Found. So let us know what happens when you do this. Does the Processor Fan come on with nothing else, or no Fan and nothing. Remember everything has to be seated properly, like the Memory, and connected, especially the Power connector and the Power Button Pins. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Actually when I do an initial POST test on a loose MoBo I don’t get it near a case, I lay it on a cardboard box and connect the wires to it.

If it won’t post then actually screwing it into a case isn’t going to improve the situation.

I generally don’t install a video card until the computer has a working OS on it.

AD

I will give it one more try probably on Monday.

Just to make myself clear we have never gotten the computer to Beep by just turning it on the only reason it did Beep was because we removed the RAM.

Since my nephew was the one connecting and disconnecting the monitor I’m actually not sure whether he was using the VGA or DVI connection same goes with the computer shop but I will make to use the VGA and follow your directions. Thanks!

[QUOTE=mccoady;2617262]
Just to make myself clear we have never gotten the computer to Beep by just turning it on the only reason it did Beep was because we removed the RAM.
[/QUOTE]

Like Allan said, if you don’t get that one Beep your computer does not POST, and no matter how you connect the Monitor you won’t get any Video. So you have to take off and re-seat your Processor and Memory. When you take off the Processor check the pins with a Magnifying Glass to see if any are bent. If they are you can gently straighten them, I have done this in the past. Your Processor will not seat properly with bent pins. New Memory and Slots can also cause problems, you have to make sure to seat the Memory correctly. I have spent a lot of time here too to get the Memory seated properly. You have to stay here till you get that one Beep. :cool:

if the Socket pins are not kaput (lol!) see the motherboards docs and find the processor voltage jumper and see the adequate voltage for youre Processor and you´re build must boot!!! :slight_smile: or give-it more juice like i did with my overclocked quad.

I had kind of forgotten to post back well it ended up indeed being a bad motherboard so after getting a replacement I’m up and running but still in the process of installing software.

I have 8GB of RAM installed and since it is so cheap now I was thinking of adding another 8GB (2x4) if you don’t think my cooler is a problem. I originally installed the two 4GB sticks in the slots furthest away from my Cooler Master EVO and there is plenty of room but to add two more sticks the stick closest to the cooler fan it will be up against it… I actually have it in that slot now just to try out the location. It fits fine just up against and touching the cooler fan is this a problem?

My nephew who was helping me with the build loaded everything on the ASRock motherboard disk when I wasn’t around so now I’m in the process of uninstalling things I don’t want like Norton, etc… since all the various ASRock Utilities were installed are there some that I might want to uninstall?

in my opinion you shouldn´t have no problem with the memory stick touching the cpu cooler fins in fact it cools the stick a little down about the utilities is you´re choice i dont have any of the bundeld MB utilities on my system. i choose to ad just a hardware monitoring app which gives me all the Hardware temps and info on my system.

Thanks macnavarra good to know about the memory sticks!

The ASRock utilities I was thinking about uninstalling was XFast USB and XFast LAN but I was hoping someone with an ASRock board could recommend whether to keep or not.

[QUOTE=mccoady;2616965]Could I have a RAM compatibility issue?[/QUOTE]
No. This is a very good memory.