Help with CDROM needed!

I bought a pine 56x cd-rom and I can install only a few games others just won’t install they give me an error half way plz help me resolve this problem

A little more info would be helpful.

Have you managed to instal off the CDs before?

Whats the error message say?

Are the games on original CDs?

Are the cds clean & unscratched?

Do you have another drive capable of reading CDs, if so do they install fine from there, or are there the same problems?

Have you tried for example reading the CD to an image file at X4 speed (much slower) with your pine 56X CD-Rom, using clone cd or simmilar, and using daemon tools, to emulate the image and seen if it will install from there?

It appears like your CD-ROM has trouble reading beyond a certain part of a CD, e.g. on the larger games.

To check the drive for problems, get a CD-ROM, e.g. the Windows Installation CD (not a Game CD as these are likely read/copy protected) and run a surface scan using Nero CD speed. Its a small free program at http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ and comes with Nero. If it shows up any red dots (ignore the very last dot if red) on a good clean unscratched CD, then you likely have a faulty CD-ROM drive. Yellow dots (if any) just indicates correctable C2 errors, but not unreadable data. Otherwise, try installing the game from a different CD/DVD drive if you have any or can get a lend of one. The error could also be Windows related, etc.

A game’s CD uses bad blocks as a means of copy protection, i.e. the game checks for these to try and verify the CD is an original. So if you use Nero on one of these, you will expect red dots, typically at the start.

I editted your topic title, sice the one you made up wasn’t really clear…

Have you managed to instal off the CDs before? I have Ut2k3 and it doesn’t want to install. But I tryed older games too but only one work and it’s really a scrached cd

Whats the error message say? Depends on the game and it never happen on the same file

Are the games on original CDs? Yes

Are the cds clean & unscratched? I tryed whit cleans cds and scratched cds. They both produce error.

Do you have another drive capable of reading CDs, if so do they install fine from there, or are there the same problems? I have an other cd-drive but it works in dos and not in windows but it worked in windows fine before

Have you tried for example reading the CD to an image file at X4 speed (much slower) with your pine 56X CD-Rom, using clone cd or simmilar, and using daemon tools, to emulate the image and seen if it will install from there? No I never tryed. can you tell me how plz

here’s the error I get when I try to isntall ut2k3

failed reading source file D:\sounds\announcermain.uax(The operation completed successfully)

The source media may be bad. If installing from a CD, try cleaning the CD to remove an dirt, check your CD drive, and try again

here’s the error I get whit nero when I try a surface scan

warning!
the drive is unable to report damaged sectors