Help With Burning Dvd Movie

I have recently purchased a liteon cd/dvd writer LH-20A1P which comes with Nero 7 Essentials OEM.

I have no trouble burning photos and musics…But i’m having trouble burning dvd movies…files like *.vob and such…

I’m very new in these burning stuff…and i hopes someone could actually helps me in this…

I have tried using both DVD Decrypter and FABDVD HD Decrypter to decrypt the dvd movies file but its always analyse till half way and it says error reading vob files or it just hang my computer…

i’m using window ME…what can i possibly do to burn a dvd movies…

Please help me…i have no idea at all about all these burning stuff…

thanks
joanna

Hi joanna, - there’s no need to start a new thread with the same question. If both programs fail to rip the DVD, maybe the disc itself is scratched or dirty? Do a “Transfer Rate Test” as shown below to confirm the disc is readable on your PC (Benchmark tab, Run Test, Transfer Rate F2). The screenshot can be saved with the little floppy icon on top of the window and you can include it with your next post by clicking “Go Advanced” and “Manage Attachments”.

Note: Nero CD-DVD Speed is located under Programs -> Nero -> Nero Toolkit. In Windows ME the default format for saving the screenshot will be Bitmap (.bmp file extension) and the file size will be too large to attach here. Google for and download a copy of “gdiplus.dll” and put it in your C:\Windows\System folder. This will allow you to save as .png (Portable Network Graphics), reducing the file size to a suitable level for posting.

How updated is the firmware and what media are you using including your burner? Also WinME is notorious for having problem…so what is the update do you have on WinME? Also what kinda of media are you using?

thanls cressida, but what will happen if the nero speed test fail. is there anyway i could try to safe the dvd in order for me to decrypt and burn another copy of it…

coolcolors, i have just updated the firmware of my liteon burner dvdr/rw drive and im using dvd-r to burn the dvd movies…

joanna, we first need to determine whether the problem is with a damaged disc or with your PC setup. Is this just one DVD or does the backup fail with multiple discs? Are you not able to run Nero CD-DVD Speed and verify the readability? I used CD-DVD Speed 4.60 in the screenshot below to do a Transfer Rate Test of a movie DVD under Windows ME. I also ripped the DVD to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter and then backed-up the main movie to an ISO image file with DVD Shrink, for burning to DVD-R with DVD Decrypter again. So there is no reason why this method shouldn’t work for you in Windows ME.

If your original DVD is indeed scratched or dirty, you can only try to clean it and try to read it in another PC with another DVD drive.

i’m using Nero CD/DVD Speed 4.61.2 Beta which comes with the OEM bundle of Nero 7 Essentials…i can start the speed test but always half way through the test it will pop-up error NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION (000000) and my whole compuetr will just hang there…i have tried to clean the DVD surface to but no avail…is it because of my computer setup if so what can i do…

Get a newer version from cdspeed2000.com

Well it does look like a problem with the disc (and not the computer setup) from where I’m at. What speeds are you seeing during the test (like Average - Start - End in the screenshots above)? You do have DMA enabled in the drive properties in Device Manager, right?

It could be worth a try to reduce the read speed of your LITE-ON with Nero DriveSpeed (also part of the Toolkit). You can even set it even down to 1X so that you get the best possible chance of reading the data during a rip with DVD Decrypter or DVD Fab HD Decrypter. You’ll need a lot of patience obviously :wink: .

If that still fails, then you have no choice but to try the disc in another drive. Some drives have better error correction than others, although there’s still no guarantee it will work of course.

Here’s an interesting thread for you: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=229022 :slight_smile:

thanks for the link to the post…just needed an assurance…is it possible if i choose to use another vesion of Nero… such as Nero 8 or maybe older version of Nero such as Nero 6…and which one is of cos compatible with window ME…

and btw can a cd-r used for multisession burning if the space is not totally used up…cos i tried to burn new data into an used cd-r with plenty of space left…it manage to burn the data but automatically deleted my old data…

thanks…

abd btw i couldn’t find any DMA in my device manager and my liteon burner…there is DMA controller in my cd-rom drive but not the dvdrw drive…

How are they connected? What does Nero Infotool say?

You’re welcome! Did you get any errors when installing Nero OEM? As far as I can tell Nero 7 Essentials is compatible with Windows ME. Anyway, if the problem is with the DVD disc, changing the burning software isn’t going to help.

and btw can a cd-r used for multisession burning if the space is not totally used up…cos i tried to burn new data into an used cd-r with plenty of space left…it manage to burn the data but automatically deleted my old data…

You must burn the CD as a Multisession disc from the beginning if you wish to burn additional data to it at a later point in time. There is an option in Nero to start a Multisession disc. That said, Multisession burning adds complications and isn’t always straightforward or successful. It’s hard to tell from a distance what went wrong there for you. The old session data should be visible in the Nero file browser when adding new data to the disc.

abd btw i couldn’t find any DMA in my device manager and my liteon burner…there is DMA controller in my cd-rom drive but not the dvdrw drive…

Is the new DVD-RW drive installed on the same ribbon cable as the old CD-ROM? When installing a DVD-burner I prefer to remove any old CD-drive from the system and put the DVD-drive as single master on the IDE channel to avoid possible conflicts. It would be better if you could enable DMA for the DVD-RW in my opinion.

my burner is installed through the usb its an external dvdrw drive…i still have my cd rom installed in my computer with the DMA check…but for my dvdrw i cant find the DMA…i dont get any errors installing the Nero OEM as well…

thanks

There is no DMA for usb-it runs on a different bus.

no DMA…so it all goes back to the disc problem and not the the burner? with the software i got…Nero OEM, DVD Decrypter and DVDShrink…i should manage to burn my dvd movies…vob files???

Indeed, DMA doesn’t apply to USB connections, so it’s normal that you don’t see this option for the Lite-On.

However, the next question is: does your PC have fast USB 2.0 ports (and not the old and slow USB 1.1 type, which is [U]not[/U] suitable for DVD burning)?

i connected the usb port through usb hub…which means i should try to connect with a faster usb hub…or direcly into my usb port whichs comes with the computer…

and how do i check my computer’s usb port…