Help with Burning an image less than 4gb

Hey, a newbie here with a question about burning an ISO (disc image) I have.

I have a ISO however it is only 3.80 gb which is a problem as my DVD player is one of those cranky models (Phillips DVD 711) that won’t play any sort of DVD-R/+R unless it is completely full disc and no extra blank space. It pays all commercial discs just fine. It should be noted that nothing is wrong with the ISO file as VLC Player plays it back just fine and the copies I have burned play back just fine in my DVD drive as well just not on my regular player.

My question is there a way or a free burner that will expand the ISO to the full disc size without messing with the quality or anything? I know Roxio has it when you make your own movie but I can’t find it when I just want to burn an image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have already tried two discs with no luck so far and don’t want to waste any more.

I have the following programs already:
ImgBurn
DVD Shrink
DVD Decryptor
Roxio DVD Creator (Free edition that came with my computer)

There is nothing to expand the file. If you use ImgBurn and your file is a video, it will close the disc, which makes it look full. If you are using other software, than use “Disk at Once” or similar setting which will close the disc at the end of burn.
If your player does not like the disc you make, try different brand, like Verbatim.

You could mount the ISO and then add random files to it and then save the new ISO.

RM

[QUOTE=bennyb98;2211574]I know Roxio has it when you make your own movie but I can’t find it when I just want to burn an image.

Roxio DVD Creator (Free edition that came with my computer)[/QUOTE]

This might be part of the problem - Roxio hasn’t been a reliable burning program. You should use Imgburn that you already have. Also you didn’t mention what kinda burner you have and media type your using and your burn speed? You need to make sure Roxio isn’t have a memory resident program running in the taskbar. If it is disable it from loading you should need it i.e. it is something like Nero InCD program that isn’t compatible with other computer formats and should be uninstalled. You should try to if you can booktype your +R media and drive(to change any DVD+R to DVD-ROM) so that when they finalize a media will be set to DVD-ROM. Also how old is your standalone and have you clean the insides and the laser lens?

[QUOTE=bennyb98;2211574](Phillips DVD 711) that won’t play any sort of DVD-R/+R unless it is completely full disc and no extra blank space. It pays all commercial discs just fine.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know who told you that line but not all Commercial dvd are totally full, they are finalized so that no more can be added so it looks full or indicates as no more space on the media.

Thanks for the help!

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2211681]You should use Imgburn that you already have. Also you didn’t mention what kinda burner you have and media type your using and your burn speed? Also how old is your standalone and have you clean the insides and the laser lens?[/QUOTE]

I am using Memorex DVD-R, I have used them before to burn movies and data dvds to back up my computer and have never have any problem with them working in my computer or standalone player. My standalone player is about 6-7 years old I think (not 100% sure on that) and i’ve never cleaned the insides or the lens :rolleyes: I know thats probably bad but I had the same problem on some DVD-Rs of old football games that my friend burned to dvds for me that weren’t the full size of the disc when I first got the player so I know its not a new problem. Not sure how I would even go about cleaning it.

I also burned the DVD with ImgBurn to start out with before I went to Roxio to try and get it to fill the disc, but both wouldn’t play. Just don’t want to wast a bunch of discs trying.

Is there any good free (or non-watermark trial) burners out there that have a fill to disc option?

What is the source of the .iso ?
For example is it a copy of a disc recorded on a settop (standalone) ?
To add to coolcolors post commercial DVD’s are pressed not burned so they don’t need to be finalized or closed.
IMO the problem is not the disc not being completly full.We just need to troubleshoot where the problem is.

[QUOTE=bennyb98;2211574]Hey, a newbie here with a question about burning an ISO (disc image) I have.

I have a ISO however it is only 3.80 gb which is a problem as my DVD player is one of those cranky models (Phillips DVD 711) that won’t play any sort of DVD-R/+R unless it is completely full disc and no extra blank space… [/QUOTE]
I’ve never seen this, usually only 1GB is needed on a burn for it to play.

Actually any size will play. 1GB VTS partitioning is only for older players, as they cannot cope with one continuous file.

[QUOTE=cholla;2211786]What is the source of the .iso ?
For example is it a copy of a disc recorded on a settop (standalone) ?[/QUOTE]

The ISO I created myself, I downloaded a VIDEO_TS folder, created an empty AUDIO_TS folder in the same directory and then used ImgBurn to create the ISO.

I really do honestly beleive that it has to do with the empty space and not being finished on the disc, as I have had this problem before when discs (burned CD-R0 are not completely full. Is there not a burner program that will fit to the disc?

Would adding a bunch of garbage files to the main directory and then making a new ISO file interfear with playback at all?

Adding files should not be a problem. Your player is to play VOBs and should ignore other files. There are store bought movies that have ‘other’ files on them (a small game for example).

RM

Thank you! Is there any file names I should avoid? I was just going to make a huge Microsoft Word file with nonsense in it but wasn’t sure if a certain file name or anything would mess with the overall structure.

Just load your disc in a computer drive and use OPEN the disc. See what files are on it. It should have two folders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. ISO is only container for all this.
You do not need ISO using ImgBurn, you can just load VIDEO_TS folder in and burn DVD.
Your CD did not play in a player because it was not closed (Disc at Once).

I got it to work. I just added a couple of word documents to the iso file to make it exactly the size of the blank dvd and now it works in my dvd player!

I’m quite surprised that the size of the burnt data could possibly have been the problem. But, you asked how to make it bigger so that is what I answered.

Surely there is a different cause for this.

RM

bennyb98 : Was the VIDEO_TS from a standalone recorder’s recording ?
The reason I ask is the problem is sometimes making a copy from a standalone.

[QUOTE=cholla;2212072]bennyb98 : Was the VIDEO_TS from a standalone recorder’s recording ?
The reason I ask is the problem is sometimes making a copy from a standalone.[/QUOTE]

To be honest I really don’t know, I just got the VIDEO_TS file and then read a how to from there on how to add the AUDIO_TS file to make an ISO. I really don’t know or have any idea where the files originated from.

Thanks everyone for you help! I really wish I knew what to say but it did look like the problem did turn out to be the size of data on the disc! Maybe its just my old machine? who knows?

You should make your own backup then…