Help with Audacity or AVS

Cholla, Are you around? I know what I’m want to do is simple, but still am lost. I want to get rid of 10 seconds to the ending of an MP3. After that is removed, I then want to fade the song out. which I know how to do that part. Would you or someone happen to know how to do it? I went over all the “Audacity Index of effects” thinking I would find it there. What is the term used to shorten a section of a song? Thanks,
Phil

I think this is what you want .
First use View/Zoom in till the 10 seconds is expanded so it is easier to work with.
Click on it & drag the highlighted(darker area to the end of the song) .

Select Cut as in the image below:

That should remove the last 10 seconds.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help. I’ll give that a try.
ptfitzy

Try this:

That will give you part 1 and part 2 is also on that site.

macbass

[QUOTE=macbass;2683035]Try this:

That will give you part 1 and part 2 is also on that site.

macbass[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot.
ptfitzy

Hi ptfitzy , Just checking back . Did this work for you ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2683398]Hi ptfitzy , Just checking back . Did this work for you ?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of contacting you again. I’m doing something wrong.
I may have not been real clear about the last 10 seconds. I would like to eliminate about 10 to 30 seconds in the middle of the song. Is there a different way I need to do that? I Highlight the area. When I Zoom In and then click Cut the song it’s still there.

[QUOTE=ptfitzy;2683452]I was thinking of contacting you again. I’m doing something wrong.
I may have not been real clear about the last 10 seconds. I would like to eliminate about 10 to 30 seconds in the middle of the song. Is there a different way I need to do that? I Highlight the area. When I Zoom In and then click Cut the song it’s still there.[/QUOTE]

OK. I think I did it. However, how do I save it? When I go to Edit, what do I “click” it on to get it back to an MP3 which it is.
Thanks,
Ptfitzy

Here’s how I do it, click “file” then “Export Selection…”

Then choose which format under the tab "Save as Type:"
then choose where you want to save it.

It’s been a while since I last used Audacity so if I didn’t quite get it right
cholla can correct me on this…but I think this will work, at least it does for what I use it for.

Steve has it correct.
File/Export/Save as type.
Of course you select mp3 & use the options to set the quality.
Any other settings you want that are there.
If you have MediaInfo or something else that will give you the stats on the original .mp3 . I would match the Audacity options as close as possible to those.

You probably read some on this when you were trying to do the looping.
If you make the cut in the middle where the zero crossing on each end of the cut match as well as possible it will sound smoother.

Like in the image below . I only cut about 1/10 second so I could capture an image. It would be the same for 10 or 30 seconds. You have to zoom in like this to find the zero crossing . You can see where the ends of the cut cross at zero.

I can’t believe this Dinosaur figured it out. It looks very intimidating when trying to remove sections. I can’t believe it came out great on the first try. Thanks a lot Steve and of course Cholla.
What I am a bit confused is your example of the Graph above. I edited mine like your first example where it shows all the wide Blue sound.

[QUOTE=ptfitzy;2683503]What I am a bit confused is your example of the Graph above. I edited mine like your first example where it shows all the wide Blue sound.[/QUOTE]
If it sounds good to you then everything is OK.

The zero crossing method is what the Audacity guides recomend.
The reason is it is less likely you can hear something you like a click or pop where you cut the song. I think noise like that is only heard by those with really good hearing . For myself I would probably need the graph to show me .

What you can do is take a look at your finished mp3.
Go the the area you cut the section from .
Zoom in where the graph looks like mine.
Then see if you can see a break in the wave.

[QUOTE=cholla;2683504]If it sounds good to you then everything is OK.

The reason is it is less likely you can hear something you like a click or pop where you cut the song. I think noise like that is only heard by those with really good hearing . For myself I would probably need the graph to show me .

Then see if you can see a break in the wave.[/QUOTE]

I was going to mention to you about your Graph earlier. I remember clicking on the song and it did look like yours. I don’t remember what I clicked on. If it is like that, can you remove sections compared to the way I did? I remember when I marked where I wanted to remove the portion of the song, I could see a tiny spot or gap.

[QUOTE=cholla;2683504]If it sounds good to you then everything is OK.

Then see if you can see a break in the wave.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if you could record the music of a DVD concert to a CD if it is not Copy Protected.

[QUOTE=ptfitzy;2683746]I was wondering if you could record the music of a DVD concert to a CD if it is not Copy Protected.[/QUOTE]
yes & with the right software you could do it even if it was copyrighted.
If you want to try the free method. Start with DVDFab ( free after trial). Rip the concert DVD to your harddrive . That will remove the copy protection.

I’m not sure what I would use to rip only the audio track .
I will try a few programs & get back to you .
It can be done more than one way.

[QUOTE=cholla;2683750]yes & with the right software you could do it even if it was copyrighted.
If you want to try the free method. Start with DVDFab ( free after trial). Rip the concert DVD to your harddrive . That will remove the copy protection.

I’m not sure what I would use to rip only the audio track .
I will try a few programs & get back to you .
It can be done more than one way.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot.
ptfitzy

@ ptfitzy , I found a software I have to do this . The result is a 2 channel stereo .wav file.
The audio track on most DVDs is a 5.1(6channel).ac3.
That is if you set the rip to one Audio track . English for example .

I did seperate just the 5.1.ac3 track also.
Audacity wouldn’t convert the full time as a 5.1 .wav . It would only do a 4 minute one & the size was huge . So definately not working for that. I will see if I can figure out why if possible.
I have a software that can turn the 6channel .ac3 into a 6channel .wav but it takes a lot of setting up & I don’t know if all the files can be found on the internet now. It is an old program called BeSweet combined with a GUI called BeLight. However the resulting file is 4GB.

Even the 2 channel .wav I did from a Woodstock concert DVD is 1.38GB .
The time is 2 hours 4 minutes or 124 minutes .
Audacity can split this up. I just cut it in half.
The reason for this is an 80minute/700MB CD can only hold 80 minutes max & only 700Mb max . On an Audio CD the time is absolute you can have less than 700Mb but if the time is longer than 80 minutes it won’t work.
If a person wanted to do the work each song could be done as a seperate track.
Then burned to a CD as a compilation. The half is just one track .
It came out as 1hour 1 minute & 674MB so could be burned that way.
If your concert DVD is similar it will take two CD Rs for it.

This is where to get the program for the 2 channel conversion if that is acceptable to you . The download is close to the bottom.
http://hank315.nl/
Download DGMPGDec 1.5.8

You will probably need some instructions but I want to make sure you want to do it this way before I post instructions.

[QUOTE=cholla;2683832]@ ptfitzy , I found a software I have to do this . The result is a 2 channel stereo .wav file.
The audio track on most DVDs is a 5.1(6channel).ac3.
That is if you set the rip to one Audio track . English for example .

I did seperate just the 5.1.ac3 track also.
Audacity wouldn’t convert the full time as a 5.1 .wav . It would only do a 4 minute one & the size was huge . So definately not working for that. I will see if I can figure out why if possible.
I have a software that can turn the 6channel .ac3 into a 6channel .wav but it takes a lot of setting up & I don’t know if all the files can be found on the internet now. It is an old program called BeSweet combined with a GUI called BeLight. However the resulting file is 4GB.

Even the 2 channel .wav I did from a Woodstock concert DVD is 1.38GB .
The time is 2 hours 4 minutes or 124 minutes .
Audacity can split this up. I just cut it in half.
The reason for this is an 80minute/700MB CD can only hold 80 minutes max & only 700Mb max . On an Audio CD the time is absolute you can have less than 700Mb but if the time is longer than 80 minutes it won’t work.
If a person wanted to do the work each song could be done as a seperate track.
Then burned to a CD as a compilation. The half is just one track .
It came out as 1hour 1 minute & 674MB so could be burned that way.
If your concert DVD is similar it will take two CD Rs for it.

This is where to get the program for the 2 channel conversion if that is acceptable to you . The download is close to the bottom.
http://hank315.nl/
Download DGMPGDec 1.5.8

You will probably need some instructions but I want to make sure you want to do it this way before I post instructions.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate all the work you are doing on this. However, I don’t need it that bad. I saw songs from the DVD on You Tube and converted them to MP3. It just wasn’t all the songs from the DVD. I didn’t know if it was something simple to do. In theory, I guess I could get the DVD, upload the songs and then convert them to MP3.

I converted them to .wav because that is what I would burn to an Audio CD.

If you decide to get the DVD sometime let me know & I will show you how to do it with DGMPGDec 1.5.8 .
Once converted to .wav Audacity can export each song as a .wav you just have to do each one manualy. I haven’t tried But it wouldn’t be that hard.
I’m sure the 2 channel .wavs would sound better than .mp3s converted from YouTube videos. Sometimes those are 1 channel.

DGMPGDec 1.5.8 is fairly small & it is a portable so doesn’t need to be installed.
You might want to get it while it is still available. Just in case .

[QUOTE=cholla;2683846]I converted them to .wav because that is what I would burn to an Audio CD.

If you decide to get the DVD sometime let me know & I will show you how to do it with DGMPGDec 1.5.8 .
Once converted to .wav Audacity can export each song as a .wav you just have to do each one manualy. I haven’t tried But it wouldn’t be that hard.
I’m sure the 2 channel .wavs would sound better than .mp3s converted from YouTube videos. Sometimes those are 1 channel.

DGMPGDec 1.5.8 is fairly small & it is a portable so doesn’t need to be installed.
You might want to get it while it is still available. Just in case .[/QUOTE]

Well I might just do that then. Do you purchase it?