Help w/ 1280X720 mpeg file to DVD

vbimport

Man, I feel like a moron. I’ve pounded my head on this one for a day now. Anyway, I have a .wmv source file that was given to me to put on a DVD for looped playback on a widescreen display at a software tradeshow. I am attempting to use Nero Vision.

A little about the source file…

As I said, the format is Windows Media Video, 2063kbps, and 1280x720. There is no audio.

Nero Vision is configured to the defaults. The wmv file is transcoded and writes to DVD. On my PC using PowerDVD playback is perfect. However, when I view with my LG DVD player on a Dell 37" LCD (widescreen) the top and sides are cropped. I’ve cycled through the different aspect ratios for the TV as well as DVD player.

I’m obviously doing something wrong here. Just can’t seem to figure it out.

Any ideas?

Try to burn the file with Nero Burning ROM as DVD-Video format and that would resolves your aspect ratio problem.

If you mean you transcoded the .wmv to DVD-Video, then look at the playback characteristics of the VTS_01_0.IFO file using IFOedit. You should get something like this:

Hi, I don’t know how to do this with a windows media or mpeg source file. Nero Burning ROM DVD-Video only wants to take DVD standard files.

Please advise.

Greetings.

I was given an mpeg video file (created in Apple Final Cut Studio - Motion) and asked to copy it to DVD to it can be played from a standard DVD player on a large widescreen LCD (Dell 37"). It’s a video presentation.

The mpeg file resolution is 1280 X 720, and when played on my PC looks fine.

I’ve tried using Nero Vision and TMPGEnc tools, but when I play the DVD through the player onto the widescreen LCD it is not showing up correctly. The sides of the video are cut off, and I cannot manage to figure out how to get the entire video to appear on the screen correctly.

I’ve adjusted the DVD player settings to 4:3 and 16:9. Doesn’t help. I’ve adjusted the display properties. Doesn’t help. I’ve used just about every setting I can find in Nero Vision and TMPGEnc and have made some progress, but the sides are still cut off.

I don’t know a lot about video, but what are “safe areas”? Could it be that this video created in motion is outside the safe areas for TV’s? Like I said, it looks perfect on my PC LCD. Why would it not look perfect on the 37" LCD from DVD?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Much Thanks.

I’m not sure that it’s the right answer, but probably the problem is the resolution:

1280 X 720 is not the native resolution of DVD, but it should be 720x576

Thanks. So, how do I get a 1280 X 720 mpeg video file to 720 X 576 without messing up the widescreen (16:9) aspect ratio?

In TMPGEnc you can use the wizard to create a 16:9 output. I hope that this can be useful, because I don’t know other methods to put a 720p video on a regular DVD disc :frowning:

So, it converts it to 720 X 480 (NTSC US). It views perfect on my PC DVD drive with PowerDVD player. If I play the DVD on the DVD player hooked up to the Dell 37" LCD it is cropped at the top and bottom and both sides. DVD player is set to 16:9 widescreen.

So frustrating.

@SolZer: pleased don’t create new threads for the same problem - you asked this question yesterday.

Two threads merged.