HELP! v1.14 firmware has slowed my DVR-108

Ok. Got my DVR-108 a few weeks ago, installed without a problem (Sony Vaio box, XP Home OS) and was happily on my way to faster burning. Got myself a bunch of Ritek G05 DVD-R 8X Silver Shiny blanks, and I was marveling at the 7+ minute burns of full movies. Nero was telling me I was writing @ 12x. The only compatibility issues with playback was with the OEM player in my Honda Odessey where a movie would play perfectly till the last 2-3 chapters and begin to freeze/hang. All other players I possess ran the DVR-108 movie copies fine.

My DVR-108 came with firmware v1.06. Soon after I found it, I downloaded and installed v1.10 (from the pioneer website) with no perceptable change in writing speed (still 12x) and no improvement in compatibility with the DVD player the Honda.

Last week I downloaded and installed firmware v1.14 (from the pioneer website) and all of a sudden my movie burns go from 7-8 minutes to 35-40 minutes. Nero was showing 12x writing speed, but the burn was taking 35-40+ minutes. I then upgraded Nero to it latest version, thinking that might help. NOT! The only change was that now Nero tells me its writing my Ritek G05 DVD-R 8X Silver Shiny discs @ 4x, but still taking the 35-40+ minutes to burn, and data discs showing 12x, but taking the same amount of time. The only upside to the v1.14 firmware is discs burned with the upgrade are now completely compatible with the player in my Honda.

I purchased the DVR-108 for its writing speed, I use it for burning movies, data and home video. As it is now, it is slower than my old Sony unit. Anyone have any ideas? I’m not a complete novice, but not a “freak” either, so please be gentle. :slight_smile:

It sounds like your drive has gone from being in DMA4 mode to PIO mode. This would account for the loss in speed. You need to take a look in device manager under the IDE / ATAPI controllers and check to make sure all your drives are running in there proper modes. The 108 should be in DMA4 mode.

If it’s not then you need to delete the channel and let windows redetect and install it again.

Ok. Maybe I am a novice. I went to device manager and IDE / ATAPI controllers, but do not know which is the DVR-108…I’m guessing its Device 1 under in the secondary IDE channel, but not sure.

Here is what I have in the primary IDE channel:

Device 0

Device Type: -----
Transfer Mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA mode 5

Device 1

Device Type: Auto Detection
Current Transfer Mode: Not applicable

Here is what I found in the Secondary IDE Channel

Device 0

Device Type: ------
Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2

Device 1

Device Type: -----
Transfer Mode: PIO only
Current transfer Mode: PIO mode

Any thoughts? Can I just select “DMA if available” as the transfer mode for Device 1 in the Secondary IDE channel and expect it to effect the change without deleting the channel? Thanks in advance.

hkg3k

“The only upside to the v1.14 firmware is discs burned with the upgrade are now completely compatible with the player in my Honda”

You know the reason for this is VERY likely that it works now only becuase you burned it at a slower speed. It has nothing to do with firmware. It’s just some dvd players can only read dvd’s so fast. Also thats what it only does it at the end of the movie, because thats where the 108 burns its fastest I beleive.

The 108 from what I read also reads the media on the fly, if it “thinks” there will be a problem with the burn. It slows down no matter what speed you tell it to use. Mine only does it every once in a great while. Athough depending on program it’ll do it more often with some software than others. For me recordnow did it lots. Using RiDATA G05 8x blanks.

Stingerman, I owe you a beer. Thanks for your response. My DVR-108 is back to fast burning. I now hope I too have retained the compatibility. Thanks again.

Glad it’s working now.