Help updating firmware HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B

I just installed an old LG DVD-ROM drive model HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B, and I tryed updating the firmware but when I put in the command line in DOS it says “Vendor ID check error and Device ID check error” any suggestions?

You have an OEM drive, your drive expects OEM firmware.

Well I relized that and now when i’m in DOS and I start the firmwasre update it tells me I don’t have enough memory required??? how do I fix this cuase theres no way I actually dont have enough memory

You dont have because you are in DOS.
Start from a clean bootable DOS disk, not using HIMEM.SYS etc.

Thanks for the help, I’ll try that next and post again if I hae any more trouble :bigsmile:

Is there any way to boot into true DOS on windows XP without a floppy disc, I have a computer I built with windows 98 but no floppy disc’s

Nope. Not with XP.

You either could create a small DOS parition or use an usb drive.

aahh, sorry the true DOS question was irrelevent to my problem, thanks for the answer though I appreciate your help alot

Start from a clean bootable DOS disk, not using HIMEM.SYS etc.

how would I go about doing this, becuase all I need is to install this damn firmware update and I got everything going but the memory problem

The bootable disk only needs the (hidden) .sys files and command.com.
If the flasher & firmware wont fit, put them on a second disk and swap them when you have booted up.

thanks for all the help