HELP! Unsolvable burning problems!

Hello all:

I’ll start in with this, first post here, although I have been reading on this forum for quite some time, and have been burning / copying DVD’s for years, paid $300 for my first 2.4x burner and have been going at it ever since. In a nutshell, I’ve copied around 1000 movies, so I’m not exactly a newb at this.

But alas, for the last couple weeks I have been having some HUGE problems with all movies that I have copied. About 50% of them will just plain not load, the other 50% of them will play about 10 - 20 minutes into the film and then begin to chop up badly, eventually locking up the DVD player. I have tried these movies in four different DVD players, a newer JVC, an older JVC, XBox, and PS2. Same trouble on all of them. However they play fine on the computer that burned them, and the video files on the hard drive also play fine.

I have been using TDK media for a while now without any problems, but I have also tried HP blanks. Having the problem with both. Also have tried this on two different computers, same problems.

Running AnyDVD 5.8.3.1 in the background, using Shrink to rip / encode, and Nero 6.6 to burn. I have also tried using Roxio to burn, same problems. Also have tried using DVDFab to rip and DVD Decrypter.

Movies I burned in the past still play just fine on all of these players. All the movies I have ever burned have been on +R media, these included, and I have never had any issues with +R media.

The ones I have been fighting with recently are 40 year old virign, southpark season 7, cinderella man, lord of war, history of violence, mr and mrs smith, and eternal sunshine of the spotless mind just to name a few.

I’m at a complete loss here. About to buy a new burner and dvd player if nothing else presents itself.

Thank you all for the help

~Nem

Provided that nothing has changed in your system, it sounds possible that your burner is beginning to fail.

Before making that conclusion, you may want to list the media code from the blank discs you are using. DVD Identifier will give you this information. It’s possible that you have a batch of media that isn’t handled by your burner very well. TDK, Sony, Fuji are just resellers, they don’t make the actual discs. Also what type of burner are you using and what firmware is installed on the drive. New media and old firmware don’t always give good results.

Post a bit more information and someone should be able to offer more assistance.

Just did some more testing. I took an old DVD that I burned a copule years ago (tommy boy) and re-ripped it, then burned it again. The new burned copy did not play.

Also burned the files that were ripped with DVDFab, DVDShrink, and DVD Decrypter with Roxio Toast 6 (OSX 10.4.5) in case it was a windows specific problem. Still do not play.

So does this sound just like a media issue? And if so why have I never before had any +R problems?

I suspected also that the burner was begining to fail, but ruled that out after having the exact same issues on my other computer. I’ll get more information on teh burner etc. and post back.

thanks

Hmmm, I just ran that DVD Identifier, and much to my surprise, both the TDK and the HP blanks both returned the exact same information! That would explain why neither of those are working, I suspect now that it might be a media problem.

As far as the burner, using a cheap-o that System Info returns as DVDRW DRW-3S163, the other Sony DVD RW DRU510A.

Thanks again for the help!

~Nem

Unfortunatly, you had a beter chance of blindlly getting good media in the 4x and 8x days than in the 16x days. The reason that I say blindly, is that you cannot tell anythting from tdk or hp. Like most, they do not make most of thier media, so you are not using the same media every time. you are using whatever they haepened to buy and put thier name on. Like brokenbuga said, there are several issues that cannot be nailed down till we know what media you are using. Use dvd identifier (it ony takes seconds, and will identify any disk, burned or blank). I personally have tdk 8x+r media that is yuden0t02 (very sought after and considered one of the best), but there are several other medias that tdk 8x+r might be, some, not near as good.
It very well could be your media…

The TDK / HP Media . . .

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-M01-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
Media Type ID : [M01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Some Dual Layer Media I have laying around (Memorex) . . .

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RITEK-D01-001]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [DVD+R DL]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [D01]
Product Revision : [001]
Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Now the interesting thing, I burned a Dual Layer and the damn thing plays just fine! Also updated the firmware on the 3s163 drive to BSG5, no such luck though . . .

I suppose I could return all these DVD’s to Costco and eat the cost on the HP blanks, but it seems like it will be hit and miss as far as getting good media now. If I were to get a new BenQ 1655 drive do you all suspect these blanks would burn fine?

thanks again

~Nem

Why hit and miss with media why not purchase Taiyo Yuden on line and get good media all the time. supermediastore.com has 200 Taiyo Yuden White Inkjet Hub Printable (Value Line) 8X DVD-R Media in Tape Wrap for 65.99 and free shipping. I stopped my bad burns when I switched to these. I have learned to always look at the disk to make sure they do not have anything on them since just a small spec of dust can cause a bad burn. I keep a can of air handy to blow off any spec on disk and use taiyo yuden and do not have bad burns.

I’ve never had any problems with CMC M01, but it isn’t my first choice. I have had better results with MCC and of course with TY. If you are looking for media in retail outlets, look for MIJ (Made In Japan) media. If none is available, as is the case here for me, than I would recommend buying Verbatim branded media (MCC).

Regarding DL media, the only media that is even worth considering is Verbatim. The other vendors of DL media haven’t shown enough consistency in quality. I would encourage you to have a look at some of the postings in the blank media forum. There is a lot of great information there, and you will probably find more pointers on media selection.

NemesysSRT, I suspect your burners might also play a part here. DRU-510A is very old but you can check for firmware updates here. Your Sony 3S163 is a rebadged Litey 1633S (not one of the best burners out there). Try a firmware update and set booktype to DVD-ROM. Visit this site

Yeah, a lot has happend since you bought your first 2.4x burner for $300…
Maybe on time to get you a new burner. :slight_smile:

And some media that you can identify what you are getting :wink:

I suspect those ritek dual layer disks are risky as far as burnig fine on anything. This media does not burn well on very many drives. As far as the cmc, I have not seen enough people use the 16x cmc to know for sure but with the 8x cmc, it burns great on some drives (I have had very good luck with it), but terible on some drives too. With 16x as well as dual layer, the only good confirmed choices right now (that can be easilly found) is verbatim. There are some canadates that might be good for 16x media, but none that seemed to have been used enough to know they burn well on most drives. I think that many are just playing it safe like me and are using verbatim.

We’ll I’m gonna attempt to return these blanks to Costco and order some TY’s. Thank you all for the help!