Help: Trying to decide on CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD

Hi all, I’m a fresh newbie, just starting to learn about backing up DVDs.

I have recently downloaded and tried out AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 to backup movies DVDs. Prior to this, I’ve done many succesful backups with DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. I also own Nero 6 and have used it to do the burning onto DVD-5 discs as well. The reason I tried out AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 was because I started running into DVDs that DVD Decrypter could no longer decrypt (i.e. the movie Stealth). So far I’ve found AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 working very well for me. I have a few questions I’d like to resolve before I make a buy decision:

1. Does DVDClone2 support backing up movies DVDs to Dual Layer discs? Is it easy to set the layer break, or is it something the software does automatically? Is there a guide on how to set this up for DVDClone2? I haven’t actually burned any DL discs, and if there’s a primer or tutorial somewhere you can point me to, that’d be great.

2. If I buy and use AnyDVD, do I actually need CloneDVD2, or would my Nero 6 software work just as well? Are there any advantages to using CloneDVD2?

Thanks for all helpful advice!

Hi, and welcome

1, clonedvd does support backing up to DL disc’s, i think the layer break is set be clonedvd, which isn’t where the original is (i think). But DVDD put’s the layer break in the same place, ISO --> Read, ISO–> Write.

2, No, you can buy anydvd and use it with any other program.

Guides and Tutorials

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Clonedvd & anydvd forums

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Hi and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

Regarding your questions:

1. CloneDVD does support dual layer discs, and since there is no option when burning to manually set the layer break I assume it’s automatic (Perhaps someone can correct me on this)

2. You don’t actually need CloneDVD to work with AnyDVD. AnyDVD is a driver that removes the copy protection of the DVD so that it appears to be an unprotected disc to the operating system and any programs accessing the disc.
    Your current process of using DVD Shrink to process and burn the DVD (or using Nero to burn) should still work just as well. Although you may want to verify this while the trial of AnyDvd is still valid.

EDIT: Seems I’m too slow a typer at times :slight_smile:

Nero 6, Shrink, DVDfabdecrypter should be enough for your needs! Shrink will burn direct into Nero 6. For nasty encryptions use Fab first!

Just my personal opioion, anydvd is well worth having and works with most programs. It sometimes even works with dvd decryptor if dvd decryptor won’t get past the copy guard. I have been told that dvd decryptor is one of the best for dual layer as it puts the layer break in the same place. As far as clonedvd2, its a good program but I think it is just personal prefrence wheather it is beter than shrink or other programs. Since you already have nero, maybe you should try nero recode (works great with anydvd to handle the copy protection) and shouldn’t be to hard for you to use as it is similar to shrink (originally written by the same person in fact).
I would use anydvd with whichever program you like and use dvd decryptor for dual layer.