Help: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0

This morning i thought i’d get my CD-RW (secondary slave) just for the sake of it. It wasn’t working (wasn’t being detected in BIOS) since i got my new 200gb hdd last year. So i disconnected it and my CD-RW was detected.

After changing the jumpers on the 200gb (primary slave) i managed to get everything working. Everything seem to be working until i inserted various DVD’s and CD-R’s into my Pioneer 107D and it couldn’t read them. I have to eject them otherwise windows stalls. I checked the event log and under system i get: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0. I’ve disconnected every drive except for the one that windows boots on. Any ideas?

By the way i have tried a spare DVD-ROM drive and it appears to be working, same jumper setting (secondary master) and same ide and power cable. Is the drive dead?

Replace some IDE cables, maybe that helps.

highly unlikely that it’s the IDE cable. Like i said, i tried another DVD-ROM drive (same IDE cable, jumper setting) and it works fine.

When I first read this tread the first thing that came into my mind is that you are SOL. :slight_smile: