HELP! Still Burns SLOW, Drive Confirmed OK, Formated PC, HELP!

vbimport

Hey Guys

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=129240

As per my original thread I tested the drive in another PC. It operates fine and has no problems turning out a 6:xx DVD.

I’ve dropped it back into my system and wiped the whole thing clean. Now CD-DVD Speed can’t even successfully create a disc! It either spins up and down the drive at the beginning, creating an empty coaster OR burns the disc varying between 3x-9x the spins up and down at the end, never completing the disc. I’m going to replace my power supply tommorow. This is really last resort and just a shot in the dark.

Any Last Idea’s?

Mike

Drive is UDMA, 24mbs Transfer Rate
MS IDE Drivers
DVD on Master IDE 0
HD(7200) on Master IDE 1
Blue 80 Wire Cable, Multiple Cables Tested
Bios set to auto UDMA
B7T9 Firmware

try using a flat ribboin IDE cable for your drive.

Both interface cables are flat 80 pin. Since both drives are master they are plugged in at the end of the cable.

Mike

Post the text output of nero infotool as textfile attachment.

Here’s the InfoTool Printout.

I really do suspect that it’s my power supply. I need a new one anyways, so that’ll be tommorow’s project.

Thanks for All The Help! I really don’t mind trouble shooting, I don’t like the associated coasters though.

Mike

why would you think it’s your powersupply? what brand motherboard do you have? I know someone already suggested you to try another ide cable. Have you tried buying a new ide cable flat or rounded? I use flat ribbon ide cables for all my dvd burners.

Might try and install ASPI 4.60 layer. I’m sure someone has a link for it.

I’ve tried multiple cables on the drive, including the one that it work fine with on the other PC. I’ve had some issues with this power supply. When i remove all expansion cards and disconnect all my fans my burn times decrease from 14 to 10 min.

Mike

I’ve tried multiple cables on the drive, including the one that it work fine with on the other PC. I’ve had some issues with this power supply. When i remove all expansion cards and disconnect all my fans my burn times decrease from 14 to 10 min.

Mike

If you’re going to purchase a new power supply get a ANTEC TRUE POWER. Your pc isn’t a DELL is it? I am just asking because DELL uses non standard power supplies and if you want to change them you would have to purchase it from them.

I picked up a true power 550, so i’d have plenty of head room when i upgraded. Didn’t seem to solve the problem. I’m really at a loss on this one!

Mike

I picked up a true power 550, so i’d have plenty of head room when i upgraded. Didn’t seem to solve the problem. I’m really at a loss on this one!

Mike

Have you tried downloading the ASPI from adaptec. Do a search on their website and install the ASPI files. Also pick up a brand spanking new ide cable and try it out. I once had a ide cable that didn’t work in one pc but stupid thing worked in another.

Try uninstalling Alcohol and see what happens ?

Also try updating the motherboards bios to the most recent its a KT4V or KT3V MSI seems to offer the same bios for either motherboard so here it is
http://us-download.msi.com.tw/support/bos_exe/mbd_bios/6712v1C.zip

After updating the bios make sure you clear the CMOS and then setup the correct settings in the bios again.

I’ve done the bios update and removed alcohol and installed ASPI 4.60. No difference. I am still occasionally having problems even using create a disc let alone getting a fast burn time. Sometimes it will just spin un and down the drive endlessly, never beginning the burn process. This does damage the DVD though. So MANY COASTERs!

Any Other Ideas?

After reading your other thread not really this is definitely a weird one…

One thing you could try but it means spending more money is get an external enclosure and stick the 1620 inside that and hook it up to the Firewire or USB2 ports and that “should hopefully” bypass whatever is going on with the IDE, no guarantees that it will work but its the last thing I can think of.

To put BenQ in a external enclosure is not that good solution. Better is, if at all necessary, an IDEtoPCI add on card, but this is also a longshot.

What still confuses me is why isn’t there any full information (InfoTool) about JMWarren´s IDE channel drivers. On all other XP sp2 logs I have seen there have been information about; company, version and so on…but not here. :confused:
What kind of IDE drivers are you actually running on JMWarren?

His IDE channel log looks okay to me in fact mines the same (no company,version info etc.) and he is running on VIA & I’m running on Intel.

yeah, but somewhere in his log I also saw something like 3.70… miniport…
And that should be VIA drivers if I remember right.

I know IDE question has been addresed before, but if we go back to the old thread, I can’t see this answered anyway.

Edit. JMWarren, provide us with a from view of InfoTool like this.

Here’s the shot of the requested screen.

To answer the IDE questions i’ve tired the XP Via drivers, the updated via drivers and the ms drivers.

Mike

Set the BENQ as MASTER and the LITEON as SLAVE. It may be better for you to set your HARD DRIVES on PRIMARY MASTER and the DVD BURNER & ROM on SECONDARY MASTER & SLAVE. Try that out and see what happens. :slight_smile:

This is puzzling. I have 2 BenQ 1620s, one Master, one Slave on the same channel, ande both burn flawlessly and with good speed as well.

But try setting it to Master.

• Jie

EDIT: YOu beat me DVDADDICT :a :stuck_out_tongue: