Help Ssseth get out of debt!

I’m horrible at paying my bills.
I’ve got so many different ones all over the place that I always end up not paying attention and spending any extra cash without realizing where it went.
I’m not behind on any payments, I just can’t pay anything off.

Anyway, my question.

Anyone know of any good money management programs, preferably from personal experience. Ideally I’d like to be able to enter my paydays (as well as my wife’s). Enter all my bills and then have it do it all for me.

Any suggestions?

BTW, yes I did some google’ing, but I’d like to see what my fellow CD Freaks have to say.
I usually trust what you say more then Google :smiley:

Well , here in the netherlands we have some pretty good personal banking software from the banks themselves. Unfortunately i don’t know any good offline program.

Perhaps this is more the job for Da_Taxman :slight_smile:

Tried Microsoft Money 2004 ?

Was going to suggest MS money … failing that I just tried to PM you £10k but couldn’t find a way of attaching it :frowning: Oh well better spend it myself :slight_smile:

Back to seriousness, I used to have similar problems, what I did was ring a few of the debt management people here in the UK, they sent me some budget plan sheets, which were extremely helpful, not sure if they have such things in Canada?

Ssseth,
Why don’t you arrange to have Standing Orders/Direct debits with your bank. This way your Bills are paid on time and it’s good housekeeping.
Ivanhoe…

The TRUTH is a LIE waiting to be told.

Indeed, thanks guys. I’ve thought of all of the above and of course looked at MS Money. I just wondered if anyon knew of any other good ones out there.

I’m a computer type guy and would rather have a computer do things auto for me then use pen and paper :smiley:

I am very good at remembering, but when things get hectic financially and I need to figure out dates, prices, paydates, anything really… I simply use MS Excel.

Of course you would need to know some formulas, maybe some advanced formuals, but once you set up the cells to do what you want fields get updated automatically every time you enter new figures. I have never relied on anything outside Excel and always managed to set it up to do as I need.

I’ve used Excel but it just didn’t work the way I wanted it to.
I want a piece of software that will pay my bills and tie my shoes at the same time dang it!

Well, looks I will be checking our MS Money then.

Originally posted by Ssseth
I want a piece of software that will pay my bills and tie my shoes at the same time dang it!

If you find it… please let me know. I’m always interested in software that pays my bills instead of myself. :wink:

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
If you find it… please let me know. I’m always interested in software that pays my bills instead of myself. :wink:

I want that too!

But eh, would a program that reminds you that you have pay a bill be a solution? Something like the Outlook calendar service or so?

im still looking for a “rents due” reminder program. honestly, though, i havent found an acceptable management program for my dad yet (farm management). he uses msmoney because its there.

Similar to msmoney…quicken is a product that is kinda handy…worth a try. I like it for 2 reasons…one…it does what it claims…2…it’s not owned by bill gates…LOL

A link for you canuks…:slight_smile:

Thanks ZZ, I’ll look into it. I totally forgot about Quicken. :iagree:

welcome hoss…:slight_smile:

How about this one ?

Thanks for the advice everyone!
I think I’m going to go qith Microsoft Money after all :smiley:

http://www.buysoftware.org/business_finance/personal_finance/acemoney.asp

AceMoney
AceMoney helps people organize and manage their personal finances quickly and easily. AceMoney is available in English, Spanish, Russian, Italian, Dutch, French, Portuguese and Sweden languages. It supports all the features required for home or even small-business accounting needs. With AceMoney you can manage multiple accounts of different types. AceMoney supports checking, savings, credit cards, loans, debt accounts. You even can create your own account type, like cash allowance for kids! AceMoney helps you create and manage budget. The program has more than 100 predefined spending categories. You can setup budget limits for every category and track the difference between actual and budget values. Do your financial math in multiple currencies. The software supports more than 150 different currencies and automatically downloads their exchange rates from Internet. Know your spending habits and see where the money goes. Generate any report by categories or payees, including pie charts. Now you really now how much did you spend on food last month. Find all your withdrawals and deposits by any parameter. Do online banking: download and import information from online banks in QIF and OFX formats. If you run samll business - export to HTML, Text and CSV formats to generate statements or perform complex statistical analysis. Don’t miss the next bills. AceMoney takes control over your bills and show you when the bill should be payed. Trust, but verify: password protection of every file, Scheduled backups and many other things without having any experience in accounting

I put all unpaid bills in a stack as they come in. On the weekend, I pay that week’s bills online through Citibank. I know many banks have online bill paying, but I’ve been using Citibank’s for over 15 years without a problem. You can schedule recurring bills to be paid automatically. For others, I have them charged to a credit card and settle up monthly. You can also schedule payments through Quicken and MS Money, but they are overkill programs for me.

I just stack up bills and wait till they call me…then do check by phone…when the say there’s a fee i remind them I stod in line half an hour on my lunch break…and had to leave…they waive the fee…LOL…:slight_smile: