Help spend my money

vbimport

I am in the market to purchase a DVD labeling setup for home. I need something that can print to dvd and I am looking for the glossy look DVD’s. I also want to put them in some sort of sleeve or case but I don’t want to spend too much money on the cases. maybe .50 or so.
If you had the cash what items would you buy and where would you buy them from?

I was leaning toward Epson printer, glossy DVD’s as the option. Is this the best?

I love my Canon ip3000 but the color is just all messed up now so I think its broken.
I was wondering about these water protective disks also.
I also need to consider ink and the availability of cheap ink tanks.

Welcome to CDF’s:

What is your location? Some DVD printers are not available in some countries.

[QUOTE=Bob;2006887]Welcome to CDF’s:

What is your location? Some DVD printers are not available in some countries.[/QUOTE]

FLA USA.

The fancy Epson inks tend to not work on discs very well, if at all. This includes pigmented Epson inks and the “water-proof” type.

There are 2 glossy type discs, one by Verbatim and one by Taiyo Yuden. The Verbatim isn’t near as glossy as the TY, and once printed has a more satin look to it than gloss. There’s a couple others out there, but stick with these 2 for quality. TY Watershield are hands down the finest printable surface you will find.

Read the sticky thread here on the Epson vs Canon comparison. The Canon IP4500 will be very close to your IP3000 in terms of functions and driver, you’ll feel right at home with it except the quality is WAY better. The Epson is fine if it’s only needed for discs and photos, but for day-to-day printing needs, the Canon is a much better choice. It’s pretty simple to enable disc printing on the IP4500 and higher models.

Either of these printers can use compatible tanks, but both brands are chipped. The Epson will need tanks that are specific with chips on them that are reset. The Canon compatibles come without chips, so you have to transfer a chip over from an old Canon tank and disable the printer’s ink monitoring. The Epson uses more ink than the Canon will.

An alternative is to track down an older Canon IP4000 or IP5000 that will use compatible tanks and can also print discs. These are expensive, I see prices close to $300-400 for new units at a few online shops.

[QUOTE=CDan;2006958]The fancy Epson inks tend to not work on discs very well, if at all. This includes pigmented Epson inks and the “water-proof” type.

There are 2 glossy type discs, one by Verbatim and one by Taiyo Yuden. The Verbatim isn’t near as glossy as the TY, and once printed has a more satin look to it than gloss. There’s a couple others out there, but stick with these 2 for quality. TY Watershield are hands down the finest printable surface you will find.

Read the sticky thread here on the Epson vs Canon comparison. The Canon IP4500 will be very close to your IP3000 in terms of functions and driver, you’ll feel right at home with it except the quality is WAY better. The Epson is fine if it’s only needed for discs and photos, but for day-to-day printing needs, the Canon is a much better choice. It’s pretty simple to enable disc printing on the IP4500 and higher models.

Either of these printers can use compatible tanks, but both brands are chipped. The Epson will need tanks that are specific with chips on them that are reset. The Canon compatibles come without chips, so you have to transfer a chip over from an old Canon tank and disable the printer’s ink monitoring. The Epson uses more ink than the Canon will.

An alternative is to track down an older Canon IP4000 or IP5000 that will use compatible tanks and can also print discs. These are expensive, I see prices close to $300-400 for new units at a few online shops.[/QUOTE]

I did read your Epson vs Canon thread but Shoudl I go with the Epson if im only printing DVD’s? I hardly print anything else.
Where is the best prices for the TY Watershields?

The Epson R280 is $10 cheaper than a Canon IP4500, and tends to use more ink and more expensive ink. If you have ink costs covered with compatibles or re-fills, then that consideration is moot. The differences in print quality between these 2 is small, but I feel the Canon has a very slight edge for sharpness. I suspect that Epson is using some smoothing even when that function is turned off, which may account for the sharper Canon image. I also prefer the Canon driver for being adjustable and straightforward, and the Canon disc printing program is better.

Bottom line is that either one will give you top quality disc printing.

TY Watershield tends to run around 65 cents per disc for DVDs, 55 cents for CDRs. Verbatim glossy DVDs are about 10 cents cheaper than the TY.

I’m new to CDF but already I can tell who posts a lot on this site. CDan, I just wanted to say, with only one day into these forums, thanks for making it a welcoming experience.

I’ve been in many different forum websites that people hound you for not knowing anything. Thanks for all of the helpful INFO!!!