Help sorting through dvd/bd drives

vbimport

Now that I have a better idea regarding good media, I wanted to take a look at what I’ve been primarily using to burn discs. I was hoping to get feedback on the best drives I have at hand so I can make them my primaries.

My BD drives are

-Plextor PX-B940sa - 1.08 <<< Been using this primarily to burn bd-r
-LG? WH10LS30 - 1.00 - A9

I just learned that maybe the Plextor is a Pioneer 205? This a good one? Looks like I was using the right one. On the other hand LG make good bd drives too eh? what to do what to do.

My DVD drives are

• LG GH24LS70 <<< Used one time, it skipped a lot, could have been tyg03 value media at fault.
  • Lite-on ihas424-08 A<<< Used this as primary for a year or more"mixed results"
  • Sony 7280S - 1.60<<< now using as primary burner
  • DH-16A6S? an ihas120/220<< was deep in closet.

What would you use to burn dvd-r’s?
I mainly burn dvd-r and bd-r, rarely DL, occasionally cd-r.

Any feedback and advice very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Your Plextor is a rebadge of the Pioneer 205, but its firmware may not be as good as the original Pioneer drives. And, as far as I am aware, you cannot crossflash it and use the last firmware from Pioneer. But the 205 is a well respected drive.

There is a firmware update available for your WH10LS30: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-WH10LS30

Either should be fine. Newer media might stand a better chance in the LG.

I’d just use the two bd drives unless you need a Lite-on for scanning.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2672828]Your Plextor is a rebadge of the Pioneer 205, but its firmware may not be as good as the original Pioneer drives. And, as far as I am aware, you cannot crossflash it and use the last firmware from Pioneer. But the 205 is a well respected drive.
[/QUOTE]

It is possible to crossflash the PX-B940SA drive to the real deal. The necessary BDR-205 kernel is here: http://club.myce.com/f61/post-new-firmware-tool-announcements-here-blu-ray-hd-dvd-drives-only-223975/index3.html#post2605558

The latest Plextor branded firmware for the PX-B940SA is 1.10, which is older than the latest available BDR-205 1.12 firmware from Pioneer, and that in itself is a good reason to crossflash, not to mention that if further updates are going to be released at some stage in the future, they are far more likely to come from Pioneer themselves, rather than from Plextor who have always been a few steps behind in releasing firmwares for this drive. Firmware 1.12 works like a charm!

Incidentally, it is also possible to crossflash back to the Plextor firmware since a kernel is available for the PX-B940SA as well…

The Pioneer BDR-205 are excellent drives. For some MIDs they still give BDR-206 and even BDR-207M drives a good run for their money, burning some media slightly better than the newer drives …

The WH10LS30 are good drives too, but in my experience, with the exception of a few MIDs which the Pioneer drive doesn’t particularly like very much, the BDR-205 burns better than the 10/12x LG drives on most other media, sometimes by quite a margin.

Speaking by newer media, I can tell you that no other burner I have (Pioneer 206/206M/207M, 10/12x LG or the iHBSxxx LiteON series) manages to beat my BDR-205 when it comes to burning the newer 6x TDKBLDRBD-000 MID :bigsmile: Not bad for a drive 2 generations old I would think :clap:

Thanks for pointing out the BDR-205 kernel [B]cvs[/B]. I took a quick look around before posting, but didn’t find that bit of info.

Thanks Kerry, updated the LG’s firmware :slight_smile:
That’s good news CVS. I downloaded the kernal dvrflash and the 1.12 firmware. After numerous attempts to run dvrflash I know how to use it, I’m just having problems with the last two items in the command. The 1.12 firmware includes BR205 and what looks like a kernal, S1014001.112
The kernal you provided is S1014000.102

Am I correct that the last two set of numbers should be included in the command?
dvrflash -f D: s1014000.102 S1014001.112

About Falcon media? Are these ok https://www.duplication.ca/shop/Falcon-25GB-4X-Blu-ray-Disc-Shiny-Silver-Hub-Printable-Cakebox-25pk.html
I think they may be Value? Even though they do not state it. the reason I think they may be Value is cause the price closely resembles these at blankmedia http://www.blankmedia.ca/BDR-FALCON-25G-4X-SHINY-SILVER-THERMAL-HUB-VALUE-25-PCS-Prodview.html

have you any experience with Value Falcons. When it comes to Falcon’s what do I look for when buying? duplication .ca has SKU :***. blankmedia.ca labels them Value or not.

thanks for ya’s help.

[QUOTE=Mickael007;2673216]Thanks Kerry, updated the LG’s firmware :slight_smile:
That’s good news CVS. I downloaded the kernal dvrflash and the 1.12 firmware. After numerous attempts to run dvrflash I know how to use it, I’m just having problems with the last two items in the command. The 1.12 firmware includes BR205 and what looks like a kernal, S1014001.112
The kernal you provided is S1014000.102

Am I correct that the last two set of numbers should be included in the command?
dvrflash -f D: s1014000.102 S1014001.112

[/QUOTE]

The correct command line is:

dvrflash.exe -ff D: s1014000.102 S1014001.112

where S1014001.112 is the 1.12 firmware file and the s1014000.102 is the BDR-205 kernel file. Obviously both files need to be located in the same directory as DVRFlash … and finally, crossflashing always requires the use of the forced flash option (-ff).

thank you very much. it was successful ;>