Help: Sony DRU710A burning from 8X down to 4X

vbimport

I have a Sony DRU 710A which works well since I purchased it about half a year ago. But recently, I find some problems with it:

1. can not burn at 8X successfully. I use nero. Each time, after burning, the data verification fails and the dvd is not readable.

2. I download the DriverCheck from Sony DVD support website, It shows info that this dvd burner has the max speed of 5.3X, and the test results show that the burning speed is nver above 6X, the final average is only 1-2X.

3. I can still burn 4X succesfully, data verification will also pass.

At the beginning, I had thought it might be the problem of crappy media, the windows xp or the burner itself. But when I plug it in another machine, it does work perfect again, I can burn same 8X media at 8X successfully, the data verification passes, and the DriverCheck shows the info that the max speed is 8.3X.

Then I thought it must be the problem of windows xp. So I plug it into the 3rd machine, a brand new machine. I install a fresh windows xp with sp2 and all possible windows upgrades. But this time, the DriverCheck shows 5.3X again!!! I am almost crazy now. I have not try to burn a 8X dvd, but I guess I will fail again due to the same 5.3X speed info in DriverCheck.

My burner has the latest firmware from Sony Support: BYX4.

I also doubt there is something wrong with my burner connection. But I cannot find what is wrong. The IDE channel is running at UDMA2. I also change it to PIO mode once, but nothing becomes better.

Now the burner is in the 3rd machine I mentioned above, it is a Dell 8400. I have connected two SATA drives to SATA 0 and SATA 1. the burner is connected to primary IDE with “Cable Select”.

Any suggestions? really appreciated.

can you do a transfer rate test with nero cd-dvd speed and post the results here?
are there nvidia ide drivers installed on your system? which aspi version do you use?
cable select is only recommended for external enclosures, so try it with master/slave setting and look which works better.