Help solve DVD+R riddle, please?

vbimport

I was going to buy Maxell 16X DVD+R Branded Bulk media from this online storewhich I have used earlier (long back) to purchase Ritek and Taio Yuden discs. However, I decided to check Maxell-USA’s website first. I was very surprised to find only Maxell 8X DVD+Rs listed there at the official website. Does this mean that the Maxell 16X DVD+Rs being sold in that online store are fakes?

Can someone please point out another online store (except meritline.com, which I don’t like for various reasons) from where I can buy good quality +Rs? I walked into the local grocery store, and in their media section, they had Maxell, TDK and Sony DVD+Rs - all made in Taiwan!

Maxell quit making their own media in Japan quite a long time ago. They use Taiwanese suppliers like most everyone else these days, though some good dvds are made in UAE and India. I wouldn’t characterize Maxell as a great brand for blank dvd media these days…they don’t seem to be any different from Memorex or TDK or Imation in the types of disks they sell.

The particular disks you are looking at are “real” Maxell. Just not manufactured by them.

If you are in the US, and you want to go to the trouble of ordering online, I’d just get the Taiyo Yuden 8x +R disks at rima.com or supermediastore.com. Supermediastore often seems to have better prices once you factor in shipping.

Thank you so much for that clarification. Rima.com seems to be a great store! I looked up the JVC’s premium DVD+Rs, got the manufacturer number (VP-R47HG100) and searched for it in the JVC website - these appear to be made in Japan! Should I go for it? The 100 at the end refers to the pack size in the spindle; is the significant number then R47 or R47H or R47HG? Would you know what the difference is between this +R disc and their photo grade discs (numbered as R47HPS with pack size) or archival grade discs (numbered as R47HMS)?

No, I don’t know the differences between those JVC disks, but I’m not really a member of the Blank Media Gang…those guys are the real experts and hang out in this forum, so one of them is bound to show up and give you more answers. :slight_smile:

Taiyo Yuden acquired the JVC media division a couple of years ago and sell their dvds in the US under the JVC name, so these are good quality disks.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2525878]No, I don’t know the differences between those JVC disks, but I’m not really a member of the Blank Media Gang[/QUOTE]Thanks anyway! :smiley:

those guys are the real experts and hang out in this forum, so one of them is bound to show up and give you more answers. :slight_smile:
I am hoping that one of them will see this thread…