Help Slow Laptop

I need Help!

I have a DELL Inspiron E1505 Laptop that’s about 3 years old.

It is very slow & the CPU Usage goes everywhere from 0% to 100%.

I tried to defragment my main hard drive but most of the files would not defragment.

While it was defragmenting the CPU Usage was 95% to 99%.

Then I tried to defragment in Safe Mode & in Last Know Configuration that worked but the same thing happened.

I added the Fragments up that couldn’t be defragmented & it’s around FIFTEEN THOUSAND FRAGMENTS & the size of the fragments is around TWO THOUSAND MEGABYTES!

What could be the problem?:confused:

What can I do to fix it?:bigsmile:

Hi,

1. check if the drives are in DMA mode, not in PIO
  2. run Dell Diagnostics in order to see if there is some hardware fault

Michael
P.S.: Do NOT post the same question several times. Crossposting is not in accordance with the rules. Your other post was deleted for that reason. :cop:

If the hard drive is too full it can prevent it from defragmenting. Also, adding RAM is a goo way to speed up a computer. You can also install a faster hard drive and maybe a faster CPU. There aren’t many options for upgrading a laptop.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2297302]Hi,

1. check if the drives are in DMA mode, not in PIO
  2. run Dell Diagnostics in order to see if there is some hardware fault

Michael
P.S.: Do NOT post the same question several times. Crossposting is not in accordance with the rules. Your other post was deleted for that reason. :cop:[/QUOTE]

How do I check if they are in DMA mode not in PIO mode?

I’ve never heard of that.:confused:

My main Hard Drive is about 25% free & my secondary Hard Drive is about 75% free!

I wonder if there is anyway I could put all of my progams on my secondary Hard Drive.

I would have to uninstall them & download some of them & install them on secondary Hard Drive.

I don’t know if that would be worth it or would be too much work or would work ha ha.

I’m not a computer expert but I know enough to get by.

I will run Dell Diagnostics on Hardware.:wink:

Oh one more thing some of my files are highlighted in blue.

Have you ever hear of that?

So sorry about running my post twice I didn’t know that was breaking the rules.

It won’t happen again.

Thanks for the help I really Appreciate it.:bow:

[QUOTE=UTR;2297359]If the hard drive is too full it can prevent it from defragmenting. Also, adding RAM is a goo way to speed up a computer. You can also install a faster hard drive and maybe a faster CPU. There aren’t many options for upgrading a laptop.[/QUOTE]

How would I add RAM?

Which way would make it faster?

I don’t have a Core Duo I have a Solo.

I just happen to buy my DELL just before they released the Core Duo Processors.

I have 73 GB of total Hard Drive space.

I put all of big files on my 1 TB External HD so it won’t take up so much space on my HD.

Hi,[QUOTE=madmax21;2297571]How do I check if they are in DMA mode not in PIO mode?

I’ve never heard of that.:confused:[/quote]Please look here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/
In case one of your drives is in PIO mode, then check this article: http://winhlp.com/node/10

My main Hard Drive is about 25% free & my secondary Hard Drive is about 75% free!
Some cleanup using windows internal “disc cleanup” may help. Do not use some of those cleaning/tuning tools, many users have messed up their systems doing so.

I wonder if there is anyway I could put all of my progams on my secondary Hard Drive.
I would move the “My Documents” folder to the second HDD (unless it’s an external one).

I will run Dell Diagnostics on Hardware.:wink:
Good.

Oh one more thing some of my files are highlighted in blue.

Have you ever hear of that?
Nothing to be worried about. Windows compresses old files. These are shown with a blue font in Explorer.

[QUOTE=madmax21;2297574]How would I add RAM?[/quote]Get the service manual for your computer from Dell support website. This should give you all details you need.

If you are short on RAM, Windows will make extensive use of the swap file on your HDD. And this will significantly slow down your system.
But this all depends on the amount of memory already installed, the operating system and the applications.

Don’t worry about that. :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=madmax21;2297574]How would I add RAM?

I just happen to buy my DELL just before they released the Core Duo Processors.[/QUOTE]

Adding RAM is about the easiest and cheapest way to make an older computer faster. Then upgrading the HD to one with a higher spin rate, cache etc. is next. Depending on the specs of the motherboard in the laptop you might be able to install a faster CPU or maybe even a dual core CPU. The one thing to consider is that when you are getting close to spending $200-$300 on upgrades it is time to consider getting a new laptop. I recently got an Acer Aspire for $449 that would likely run circles around your laptop even with upgrades.

[QUOTE=madmax21;2297574]I have 73 GB of total Hard Drive space.

I put all of big files on my 1 TB External HD so it won’t take up so much space on my HD.[/QUOTE]

You mentioned your main HD is 75% full. This is a lot for such a small HD and it is likely costing you a good bit of performance. Especially if it is severely fragmented.

This may sound stupid but how do I run DELL Diagnostics on Hardware?

[QUOTE=madmax21;2297706]This may sound stupid but how do I run DELL Diagnostics on Hardware?[/QUOTE]Read the manual.

Are there a lot of program icons on the desktop? If so, this is most likely the performance slow down culprit. My daughter’s laptop had the same problem with a lot of programs on the desktop, and moving the programs from the desktop to other folders facilitated a more complete defrag and much better performance. That’s because programs on the desktop are loaded in memory, and there should be just shortcuts and few if any programs on the desktop for best performance.

Adding RAM may help if a lot of programs that use a lot of memory are running, but adding RAM above 512MB probably won’t help the average user. Recently I read a post where a guy increased RAM from 512MB to 3GB and realized zero performance increase.

Turn off most or all startup programs (windows will load what it needs) load the programs needed as needed. Change to a different OS if you are running Vista.

All of my Icons are Shortcuts.

I think I have 1GB of RAM.

I can’t fully Defragment my Main Hard Drive.

Most of the Fragmented Files will not Defragment.

I Deleted a lot of uneccesary files on both Hard Drives.

My Main Hard Drive is now 34% Free & Secondary is now 87% Free.

Michael I checked & my Drives are in DMO Mode not in PIO Mode.

Also I have the Free Version of Avast Virus Protection.

I scanned all of my files & found some malware & deleted them.

It’s so slow it took overnight to scan all of my files!:frowning:

I have Windows XP Media Edition.

If it can’t be fixed than I will either format my Hard Drive or Buy A New DELL Laptop.

By the time I upgrade my Laptop I could’ve spent that money on a much better NEW DELL LAPTOP…:clap:

If I can fix it than I will be happy with my 3 year old Laptop.:clap:

I appreciate all of your replys in order to help me!:bow::clap:

Have you tried running “chkdsk /f” which checks for and fixes errors? It might fix some of the files if it finds problems. Try running that and then run Defrag again.

[QUOTE=madmax21;2298385]
Michael I checked & my Drives are in DMO Mode not in PIO Mode. [/quote]Okay. HDDs should be in UDMA 5 or even UDMA 6, opticals in UDMA 2 or higher. Please double check.

I scanned all of my files & found some malware & deleted them.
This might be a possible fix:

If it can’t be fixed than I will either format my Hard Drive

Have you already run Dell Diagnostics?
Additionally, get the “ultimate boot cd” and test your (primary) HDD with the tool from its manufacturer (if I remember correctly, you should be able to find out the HDD manufacturer with device manager). A bad HDD could also cause such issues.

Michael

If it can’t be fixed than I will either format my Hard Drive

Have you already run Dell Diagnostics?
Additionally, get the “ultimate boot cd” and test your (primary) HDD with the tool from its manufacturer (if I remember correctly, you should be able to find out the HDD manufacturer with device manager). A bad HDD could also cause such issues.

Michael

I have Windows Mediass Center.

The Windows Media Center doesn’t even work.

Whenever I click on it it gives me error messages.

It hasn’t worked in awhile.

I haven’t run DELL Diagnostics yet but I will learn how to do it.

I have scanned with Avast Virus & found some Malware & deleted it.

I checked Local Disk C for file system errors & scan for & attempt recovery of bad sectors.

I defrgamented the D Drive & it did fine.

I’ve tried to defragment the C Drive but it wont Fragment most of the files.

What is the Ultimate Boot CD?

I have 2 DELL CDs - Drivers & Utilities & Operating System.

If the DELL diagnostics doesn’t help then I guess I will have to format my Hard Drive.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it very much.:slight_smile:

Looks like I am going to have to get somebody to Fomat my Laptop.

I am buying 2GB of RAM & a new Battery.

I am thinking about buying a bigger hard drive for more space.

Should I buy a bigger Hard Drive?

Ebay has the cheapest prices & the products are top notch.

I’m in the process of the getting the installer packages of all of the software that I will have to install after I format.

I forgot to tell you that Windows Media Center Program doesn’t work at all.

It’s been like this for a long time.

I have 1GB of RAM now.

I will be upgrading to 2GB of RAM.

My Battery now is a 6-Cell Battery.

I wll be upgrading to a 9-Cell Battery.

Also my batter just went Completly Dead on me.

When I pull out the Power Cord the Laptop Completely OFF!

With all the stuff you are doing to increase your laptop’s speed and the other problems you have; IMO you would be better off with a new laptop then sell the old one for what every you can get for it.
Much has changed with Laptops in the last 3 years.
The new will have a dual core CPU, 4GB Ram, better HDD and Optical Drive, improved WiFi …

I also recommend getting a new laptop. For $399US you can buy a new laptop that will run circles around the one you plan to upgrade.

[QUOTE=madmax21;2300500]Also my batter just went Completly Dead on me.[/QUOTE]Don’t invest in a new battery/laptop just yet. Check the battery replacement program on the Dell website first! There have been lots of batteries with serious errors. You could apply for a free battery replacement.

Type in your Dell Tag number (found on a sticker somewhere underneath the laptop) in the support section of dell.com to find all kinds of support for your laptop.

For defragging i recommend using JK Defrag, since it will also defragment huge files, very small files and even when there’s not much space left on the disk. Completely free and the portable edition of JK defrag leaves no footprint on your pc.

Also most Vista licenses can be used to downgrade to Windows XP for free (if you wanted to).

I got NEW 9-Cell Battery & 2GB of RAM & 250GB of Hard Drive for $137.00 all of EBAY my favorite strore.

I buy & sell off of Ebay.

I will look at buying a new Laptop but I will never go for Windows Vista.

I’ve used it & it’s simple tasks complicated things wheras it should be the other way around.

I would have to downgrade to XP if I were to buy a New Laptop.

I will not get a dell again.