Help revert LG WH16NS40 back to FW 1.02 or crossflash

Hello,
I have received my LG WH16NS40 with SVC code: NS50 yesterday and it had FW 1.02 on it. I immediately flashed it to the latest FW 1.03 after trying some Blu-ray discs that worked fine.

I then remembered reading that this drive is able to read filesystem and structure of UHD discs and since I had 2 UHD movies bought from France, I tried to test them. They couldn’t be read at all. Drive shows No Disc

The funny thing is; LG shows the new FW 1.03 with this:
Improvement Point
¡ß Model : WH16NS40 ¡ß Version : N1.03 ¡ß Improvement Point : Improved BD UHD disc compatibility

Maybe LG is trolling and they actually REMOVED UHD disc reading capability but I can’t be 100% sure.

Anyway, I need help reverting my drive back to FW 1.02 or crossflash it to another FW that is known to support UHD reading capability.

Thanks

AACS 2.0 Volume Keys FAQ
Blu-ray Volume Unique Keys leaked on the internet

Same thing happened to me today. Flashed from 1.00 to 1.03 on a WH16NS40 and lost the ability to read UHD discs.
FU LG! …l… ( _ ) …l…
I have been searching on how to crossflash or back. The only thing I found so far is the unlocked 1.03 flasher. Haven’t found any .bins to flash yet.
Does anyone know how to crossflash, riplock, or some firmware for the NS40’s?

I found this:

Nothing can downgrade the firmware.
Probably just buy another one.

I have contacted LG USA asking how to downgrade the FW and told them about the issue.
They told me the FW can only be downgraded in their facility.
They offered to swap my drive to a “reconditioned” one but I have no idea how could this work because I bought my drive from Amazon.com and it was shipped internationally to me in Egypt.

I hope somebody can unlock the flasher to downgrade.

It is shown in the instructions how to upload the older firmware.

Also in the package in the first post is unlocked flasher and unlocked firmware LG BH16NS40 (NS50) 1.02 and LG WH16NS58 1.00
We do not have any firmware for LG WH16NS40(NS50), therefore there is no unlocked firmware.

So if I get another LG WH16NS40(NS50) with FW 1.02 in a couple of days, can I extract the FW and upload it for you then you unlock it? Would it be possible to flash that unlocked 1.02 to the updated locked 1.03 flashed drive?

Firmware CAN be downgraded, my the means other than “LG facility”. Do make sure you have original in this case 1.02) firmware file saved for the future. But meanwhile - yes, you are out of luck.

The replacement WH16NS40 will arrive tomorrow and I will make sure to extract the 1.02 FW from it. Any idea what tools I can use for that?
Also how can I then flash the 1.02 FW to the 1.03 drive?

Both things can be done, but information on how to do it is not yet public. I can say nothing more :frowning:

It seems to me that for over a decade, this is no secret how to make dump firmware in LG constructions …

Devilsclaw flasher

command:
flasher -d [drive id] -l firmware.bin 6 00000000 00200000

where drive id is the drive number.

Program instructions:

But still the firmware needs to be upgraded, the header changed and the calibration data and the eeprom removed. Only then is it suitable for use in the downgrade operation .

I have the replacement WH16NS40 now with FW 1.02.
I can do whatever you need with it to get you the FW on it, just let me know what to do in detail if it will work.

I am running Windows 10

Firmware only resettable to stock by their own facilities?
Wow, that’s st_pid.
Why can’t power users just have their glamorous forensic freedom?

It’s all about the $$$. No profit = no feature.

Then there should at least be the freedom for users to easily modify the firmware, which voids the warranty until reverting to stock firmware.
Android has bootloaders and rooting for that purpose.

**@minaelromany**
I have the replacement WH16NS40 now with FW 1.02.
I can do whatever you need with it to get you the FW on it, just let me know what to do in detail if it will work.

I am running Windows 10

You have the program and the command above.

command:
flasher -d [drive id] -l firmware.bin 6 00000000 00200000

where drive id is the drive number.

But I doubt that the program will work properly on Win10. The surest for this, however, the older XP \ W7 system.

Will try it on my Win 10 PC. If it didn’t work, I will try it on another PC at home running Windows 7

Edit:It worked on my Win 10 PC and I got the .bin file now with 2MB size.

Should I try to flash it using your crossflash method or should I upload it ti you?

Send here the file to check so that you can download.
Do not do crossflash because you need to change some data in the firmware downgrade

It did give me an error when I tried: Invalid F/W. checksum mismatch.

Here is the 1.02 file:

HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_WH16NS40_1.02.zip (1.2 MB)

DosFlash V2.0 patched to support BH16NS40/BH16NS55 drives

Now you can check the software downgrade to version 1.02.

Thank you very much for the help.

Just to confirm, how should I flash? I have tried your flasher tool and flasher via CMD but neither worked.

Maybe it is my Windows 10?